Had my 440 up against a 2171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW Peacock were is the winch?? that's the hot ticket here
pain in the a$$ to wire up though:monkey:

Gotta sell some more wood before it arrives.

Do you recommend using the mount kit with it?

I need to put some weights on the front end. It was a little sketchy today pulling up a steep hill with the back full of cherry.

truth in bold

Oh please great 2000 tell me what I am missing.:bowdown:

So you realy think digging in is the way to go.
I'll bet your one of those guys that file the rakers way down so you can dig better.

Tell me about the power bands your talking about?
this is all new to me.

Nope, digin' in isn't the way, didn't never say that. I said it was nice to have the power if needed. My rakers go down around .020-030.

Now, you agree that these 2 machines, with 2 different motor designs cut/run the same?

Gotta sell some more wood before it arrives.

Do you recommend using the mount kit with it?

I need to put some weights on the front end. It was a little sketchy today pulling up a steep hill with the back full of cherry.

the kit makes life easier as for weights i don't think they make a
carrier may have to fab your own would be pretty easy though
if an 80 year old man can make a plate and mount 2 lawnmower
bucket seats because he didn't like the factory seat weight
carriers should be no problem at all

the kit makes life easier as for weights i don't think they make a
carrier may have to fab your own would be pretty easy though
if an 80 year old man can make a plate and mount 2 lawnmower
bucket seats because he didn't like the factory seat weight
carriers should be no problem at all

Yeah, it'll be easy to use the front receiver to hold some weights.

Technique

Come on guys, good technique is easy to see. Watch the guys run Stocksaw in the STSS. The cases never even get close to the wood. These guys cut hundreds of cookies a year trying to get faster technique. Dogs have their place, but not in making it through a bucking cut faster.

Yeah I like the part where he said the 2171 is little.
Maybe he don't know squat.
side by side the 2171 is bigger.

Hey ciscodude stop reefing on those huskys, it's not a Stihl. you don't have to work as hard, Let it do the cutting for ya.

From my standpoint, it's a "dainty flower". I'm enjoying the 372 after slinging the 066 around too often. Lighter than my Super XL too.

Mark

My old .54 plains rifle barked at 8:30 this morning, so there was time to get a load of wood today. I took the Old Jonsered 90 w/24" beavertail and 2149 w/16".

After a pee break I absentmindedly grabbed the 90 to continue limbing, and about tore my shoulder out of the socket because I didn't bother with the comp. release. Stupid me.

The 90 is slower than molasses as a limbing saw; heck, it weights 18 lbs full of fuel, oil and 24" bar. But that old-style power was just the ticket to knock down and buck a 36"" burr oak. The 2149 loves to dance in the 12" and under category; it feels like a light-saber compared to the 90.

Your 440's and 460's might just embarass either one. But there's a half-cord on the pickup and almost a full cord on the trailer to help heat my house and shop.
That's what matters most, doncha think?

heheheheh

Yeah I like the part where he said the 2171 is little.
Maybe he don't know squat.
side by side the 2171 is bigger.

Hey ciscodude stop reefing on those huskys, it's not a Stihl. you don't have to work as hard, Let it do the cutting for ya.

Most girls have a plug that does all the work for them. Guess we know whether you sit or stand to pee eh? I guess huskaredpoland springs do also.... I'm not even gonna go there with you if that's the best you can do, lmfao...

Bring it... :cheers: eh?

:laugh:

Come on guys, good technique is easy to see. Watch the guys run Stocksaw in the STSS. The cases never even get close to the wood. These guys cut hundreds of cookies a year trying to get faster technique. Dogs have their place, but not in making it through a bucking cut faster.

I kept the 2171 at higher revs because it had better power there. I run all saws at full throttle, but I let the 440 dig more because it had more power at the lower rpm range. I believe that = torque. But I still liked the 2171 better, and it has lasted longer than any other saw I've had.

Technique is where it is at! You guys are right. Each saw has it's own sweet spot where it likes to run. It is just listening to your saw and feeling where it is at. I kept beating wdchuck with his own saw at our gtg. Got him to try some different technique and he cut much faster. Its just having that feel for what the saw likes.:cheers:

Your 440's and 460's might just embarass either one. But there's a half-cord on the pickup and almost a full cord on the trailer to help heat my house and shop.
That's what matters most, doncha think?

I agree.. in no way was I saying one saw was better than the other. I was just commenting on what happened one day when the saws were run side by side. Today may be different. Any saw is better than buying gas or heating oil. For those who were confused by my post:confused: .. sorry, I guess I didn't make my point clear.

Last edited:
Nope, digin' in isn't the way, didn't never say that. I said it was nice to have the power if needed. My rakers go down around .020-030.

Now, you agree that these 2 machines, with 2 different motor designs cut/run the same?

No the 2171 and the 440 does not run the same.
Thats the whole point.

I'm just trying to figure out where this hidden power is.
I think you are getting confused on the sound of the stihl power band.
When hitting that band the saw slows down. so wheres the power now?
Lighten up a bit and the speed goes up making chain travel faster, creating more chips.
I have yet to find the advantage of the stihl power band over the Jonsered power band. if both saws are run right. (Again Technique)

I guess maybe stihl is more forgiving for the novice cutter.

Most girls have a plug that does all the work for them. Guess we know whether you sit or stand to pee eh? I guess huskaredpoland springs do also.... I'm not even gonna go there with you if that's the best you can do, lmfao...

Bring it... :cheers: eh?

:laugh:

Hmmmm
By the way you describe your technique using a husky.
I'll bet your ol lady can cut faster then you can.

No the 2171 and the 440 does not run the same.
Thats the whole point.

I'm just trying to figure out where this hidden power is.
I think you are getting confused on the sound of the stihl power band.
When hitting that band the saw slows down. so wheres the power now?
Lighten up a bit and the speed goes up making chain travel faster, creating more chips.
I have yet to find the advantage of the stihl power band over the Jonsered power band. if both saws are run right. (Again Technique)

I guess maybe stihl is more forgiving for the novice cutter.

Oh, ok, so now you disagree that they run the same?:dizzy:

edit: bold, Jred can't take credit for that power, LOL.

Last edited:
Wifey

I'll bet your ol lady can cut faster then you can.

She can. And man I like to watch her little 5' 1" 110lbs zip through those logs. Now if I could just get her to stop stealing my saws... lmao

:cheers: eh?

Back