Had to laugh at this one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lesson for tommorrow

The topic for tommorrow is centistokes and the functional dependence of the viscosity index with temperature. Rest up and be prepared for questions.

Hey, the last time I was in the Stihl dealer for parts (today) I saw plenty of those blue oil gallons for sale.

I use the tech. brand ffrom wal-mart in 30 wt. for cold weather it works damn good for me and its cheap

The lazy man's way to unit conversion...

You guys do things the hard way.

attachment.php

(Image cropped to save bandwidth for the poor dial-up guys. Ain't I thoughtful?)

Now, as long as you can spell Fahreneheit, you're in business! :D

If I remember right,

0 Kelvin is absolute zero (NOTHING moves!)

273 Kelvin is 0 celcius (32 F)
373 Kelvin is 100c (212F)

The Stihl distributor for the Ky area does not just sell 1 case, you have to order a 50 case minimun, or the dealer would be charged over twice the price.
The oil is drop shipped directly from Stihl. I do not know that if the other
Stihl distributors have the same policy, but Bryan Equipment in Ohio has
always had this policy. So I am suprised that you got a jug of oil in a timely
fashion at all.
And by the way, the winters here in Ky are brutal. Why even now, the temp is still in the twenties! The mud puddles have ice on them!

Stihl raised all of their oil prices a couple of months ago, bar oil was $6.89 or so, I use the Poulan from Walmart for @ $3.

What part of Ky. are you in Woody?

We sell the Winter bar oil here in Western WA but just ran out because of the last couple of weeks of below freezing temps. Normally we sell little all winter as it averages 40F.

I find that unless it's below 20-25, dont use the winter weight in a pro saw - it runs though way faster then the standard oil and you're out of oil with half a tank of gas. The pro saw (stihl version) has the oil tank as part of the crankcase and it gets hot. Non-pro saws (say like 029, 39) don't heat the oil via the crankcase and need the thinner oil. If I'm unsure, I just mix two 1 gallon jugs of winter and standard.

Last edited:
I don't see what the fuss is with many of you and your bar oil. Most of you hardly do enough with your saw in the extreme cold to even worry about it, , once you saw is warm the cold oil will thin out anyway. Regardless it oils just the same. I buy my oil by the 55 gallon drum and have never had an issue with it being too complicated and that is burning a gallon in a 6 hour working day, even this time of year when it is are 20 degress or cooler all day. Unless you are in the artic and running a saw all day long save your money and use what you have. Besides if it does get too thick and you can't handle the extra 10 seconds of filling your oil tank then add a little bit of saw gas in your oil and it will pour just fine. Not trying to sound like an A$$ even if I do.

Back