Had to say goodbye to my little girl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the support on here folks. It really means a lot to me. I also feel that this was a fitting tribute to my little Millie dog. She was such an awesome girl, and it helps to share her with people who have the same interests.

My two like to sit here next to me, one on each side. The smart one has already picked up on my emotions, and has his ears down.

Sorry for you, for sure.

GeeVee

I'm so sorry for your loss, PB. My wife and I don't have kids, we have dogs, and I know the pain you are going through.

Have no regrets, Millie had a great life, albeit far too short.

So very sorry for your loss!:too_sad: I know exactly how you are feeling man. I had a golden retreiver that my parents gave me when I graduated from college named Cedar. He was my best friend and a truely wonderful dog. We did everything together for 11 years. The love and devotion that a dog gives a man is truely amazing! Even when you are mad at them and scold them, they just want you to love them and pet them. I had to put Cedar down in January of 2005. He had a cyst inside his chest that burst and spread cancer all over inside him. The vat told me he could operate, but there were no garauntees and it may only buy him a month or two. I figured he had suffered enough, and made the decision to put him down. I cried like a baby when the vet gave him the shot as I held his head in my arms. But it was what was best for Cedar. 8 years later and i still miss him.

We have another golden now, his name is Cooper. Great dog with a very similar personality to Cedar. Here's the bad part. Cooper is the first pet my wife has ever had in her life. He will be 7 at the end of the month, and he is starting to act like an older dog. I keep telling my wife that she will outlive Cooper, but she doesn't want to talk about it. The day old Coop goes will sure be a tough one! Here's a couple pics of him. The first is recent and in the second he was about 1 year old.

View attachment 283198View attachment 283199

Once again, I really appreciate the kind comments. Reading them really has helped my wife and I.

Go give one of your four legged buddies an extra big hug tonight... and maybe, let them sleep in bed. Just so that they know that they are special buddies.

Once again, I really appreciate the kind comments. Reading them really has helped my wife and I.

Go give one of your four legged buddies an extra big hug tonight... and maybe, let them sleep in bed. Just so that they know that they are special buddies.

I do every night, and you need to get another and make them your special like all the other you've had. I have two 14 year old girls that are breakin my heart, but I'll get another or three when they pass....not to take the place of them, but to carry on the tradition of saving a life and having another best friend :msp_smile:

I don't think anything I say can help you much. I DO know what you're going thru tho. I lost my first lab Ranger many years ago, and I swore I'd never have another dog because of the pain it put me thru to say goodbye to him. What a mistake that was. After more than 10 years, I finally got another black lab. Jake hasn't taken the place of Ranger in any way, but he HAS filled a hole in my life I never knew existed. Jake is an integral part of my life now. He's a working dog, helping us teach kids about fire safety. But more importantly, he's my best friend. He goes everywhere and does everything with me. As a registered service canine, he even goes to hotels and restaurants. And as much as I dread the day that's inevitably coming, I now know I'll always have a lab in my life.

308014_510524595625124_698950667_n.jpg

Sorry to hear about your dog :( She looked like a sweet heart. I know what it feels like to lose a loved animal. I have lost a lot of animals in the past. It's an awful feeling.

Ouch

Yup, I don't have kids, I just have my little guys and love the snot out of them. I cry like a 12-yea-old schoolgirl when I lose one. To me, they are family in every sense of the word.

I'm sure sorry. The good news is that it gets better and you'll have other pooches that will heal your heart.

It's really strange how the love man give to a dog, and the same that's returned can bring the toughest man to his knee's when he loses it. I really feel for you. I have a mutt if found 5 years ago. The vet said he thought he was 5 weeks old. He's my shadow now and if I go and he doesn't get to, I've never seen a dog pout like he does. A friend of mine had 3 GR. One died of old age, about 4 months ago the youngest one just dropped from a heart attack. Dean hasn't gotten over the first one's death yet and he's dealing with another one.

I told Morgan, my dog, he would have to hang around long enough to let me go first. The wife says it'll be best that way. :msp_sad:

Phantom there was enough room in that cab for both you and the dog? My first boxer would ride in the cab of the 1086, she could lay on the flat spot behind the seat. Shes been gone since 1995 and I still smile when i think about her.

Phantom there was enough room in that cab for both you and the dog? My first boxer would ride in the cab of the 1086, she could lay on the flat spot behind the seat. Shes been gone since 1995 and I still smile when i think about her.

Yup, there was enough room in there. I would have to jump in first, and then she would jump in, spin around, and lay down on my feet. The tractor is an e-hydro version, so there is no real reason to ever have to use your left foot. Since I did not need my left foot to run the tractor, she used it to lay her head on. She would lay on the platform in the cab of that tractor for hours when I was doing a bunch of gravel work on my driveway, or when I would move 8' long logs from the woods to the woodshed area for processing. Wait, for that matter she was happy anytime she got to ride in the tractor. And most of the time that the tractor was out, she was in it. Only time she could not come along was if I had to use the snowblower.

I thought for a long time that all she wanted to do was hang out with Mom or Dad in the tractor and feel special, but I sometimes wonder. If you would open the door to the tractor and not jump in before her, then she would get up on the seat and you would be hard pressed to get her off of there. It was pretty cute, because she looked so proud when she would sit there on the seat. For one reason or another, she loved that John Deere. Just some awsome memories of that little Millie.

I had 4 husky's and I had to put the last one down in August, he was my best buddy. They were my couch potatoes who I raced for fun, walked everyday and took camping all the time. It's the hardest thing to do and it doesn't get any easier. I am just tearing up reading this thread. :msp_sad:

I have a pack of good dogs waiting on me. Some people will not get another dog after they lose one because it hurts so much, but I always do because they add so much to my life.

Here is my girl. I have had to leave her (and the rest of the family :msp_tongue: ) twice for deployments. There are quite a few things that I can only tak to her about and I am thankful every day for her. Dogs are definitely what we call "force multipliers" in the Army :laugh:

Well, this morning my wife and I went to pick up our little Millie's ashes. What a bittersweet trip. It helps me feel better to know that she is back at home in the woods, but it just proves to you once and for all that it is final. All I know is that loosing your best buddy is a real tough deal, and I hope that some day I can be there for folks dealing with the loss of their best buddy. Millie and our pack thank everyone for their kind comments. It has helped a bunch on this journey in our lives.

I am just thankful that my wife and I were able to share our lives with her, provide a warm loving home for her, and learn how to love from her. She will be forever in our hearts.

I've had to bury the last two dogs we had to have put down. I knew it was final when I put them in the ground and covered um up. Had to be done.

Latest posts

Back