Haldex 22 gpm pump seized

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman142

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
For all of you who are building a log splitter, dont take your time on it. I purchased all the pieces I needed and began assembling it. Took me 2 years for the full build. Was running it tonight to try out the generator system to try and get it to charge the battery and the pump seized. It didnt slowly go it went clunk and that was it. I have run it before to test out hydraulics and stuff so it wasnt the first time the pump has been spun. I called the place I bought it from and no warranty. It was purchased from northern tool. Just thought I'd share that.

For all of you who are building a log splitter, dont take your time on it. I purchased all the pieces I needed and began assembling it. Took me 2 years for the full build. Was running it tonight to try out the generator system to try and get it to charge the battery and the pump seized. It didnt slowly go it went clunk and that was it. I have run it before to test out hydraulics and stuff so it wasnt the first time the pump has been spun. I called the place I bought it from and no warranty. It was purchased from northern tool. Just thought I'd share that.

====

A quick check of their web site seems to show a 12 to 18 month warranty, with extended warranty available...appears you may have out waited you warranty period...

one of the gears wore a groove into the housing and there was some metal stuck between the gears is what seized it. pics to come.

and the pics. there is only 1 gear that is affected, the other ones are pristine and brand new looking. Keep in mind this pump had less than 10 mins on it. the gear is scored and both housings are as well, in other words time for new pump as I dont have a mill.

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0235.jpg

You might want to wait on the new pump. Try to run emery cloth on all worn areas get everything smooth and reclean everything pump and hoses and retry the pump you might get lucky you might not

I think I would contact Haldex on that one. some body should make it good !

I'm sure there is a hydraulics shop somewhere near you...look around a bit and see if you can find one.

I had the same thing happen on a small cheap TSC 11 GPM pump that runs my conveyor and instead of 200 bucks for a new one, I took it and they were able to get it working again and it only set me back 25 bucks.

Good luck!

I think I would contact Haldex on that one. some body should make it good !

Someone should make it good.......But I seriously doubt that anyone will.
I had a 28 GPM Haldex that did the same thing. It came from the same place. I sent it back to Northern, who in turn sent it on to Haldex. Haldex said that kind of damages only comes from "over pressuring". :dizzy::dizzy: So It was my fault, and no fault of theirs. I'm still trying to figure out how to "over pressure" a 3000 psi pump while running it at the factory setting of 2500 psi. :dizzy: I didn't get that pump back because they wanted $50 to ship it back to Northern, and Northern was then going to charge me to ship it back to me. :dizzy:

My second Haldex did the same thing, so I can tell you from experience that you can clean it up, and it will run for a while. Don't expect too much from it though. I'm now running a Chinese imported 28 gpm pump that cost $200. I hate buying anything from China, but if I have to buy a disposable product, I want the one that cost the least. I've got more time on that $200 pump than both the Haldex's put together.

Andy

Haldex wood splitter pumps

As redprospector has said they should offer to make it good;

It is very dissapointing that they do not use bronze wear
plates to support and separate the pumps gears from the
end plates which is the normal way to do this.

Someone should make it good.......But I seriously doubt that anyone will.
I had a 28 GPM Haldex that did the same thing. It came from the same place. I sent it back to Northern, who in turn sent it on to Haldex. Haldex said that kind of damages only comes from "over pressuring". :dizzy::dizzy: So It was my fault, and no fault of theirs. I'm still trying to figure out how to "over pressure" a 3000 psi pump while running it at the factory setting of 2500 psi. :dizzy: I didn't get that pump back because they wanted $50 to ship it back to Northern, and Northern was then going to charge me to ship it back to me. :dizzy:

My second Haldex did the same thing, so I can tell you from experience that you can clean it up, and it will run for a while. Don't expect too much from it though. I'm now running a Chinese imported 28 gpm pump that cost $200. I hate buying anything from China, but if I have to buy a disposable product, I want the one that cost the least. I've got more time on that $200 pump than both the Haldex's put together.

Andy

The picture actually makes it look better than it really is. The grooves are quite deep. Called haldex and they are going to get back to me.

haldex says I need to go thru the people I purchased from, and northern tool says no warranty for you:( Chinese pump here I come!!:rock:

haldex says I need to go thru the people I purchased from, and northern tool says no warranty for you:( Chinese pump here I come!!:rock:

I'm in the process of building my splitter now, I considered buying the pump from northern, then went to the local hydraulic shop. They're sending me a 22 GPM pump from Dynamic Fluid components in S. Carolina for $203.00

Update- Just got the e mail that all the parts are in. Hope it doesn't take me 2 years to get this thing put together.

So, was looking at other pumps and their outlet and some inlet as well are smaller than the haldex, wonder if I should try another haldex or go with a different one.

Back