Hammer ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancan

Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I spend a fair amount of time reading , looking at pics , watching videos to understand how things apply and to improve the type of cutting that I do and have gathered a lot from this site (many thanks ! ).
I try not to dismiss other people's techniques and I can tell stupidity from practicality .
One thing I see a fair amount on UbOOb Tube is a fair amount of fallers/fellers/foresters/loggers/whateveryouwanttocallthem and hacks packing a hammer of some type to drive wedges in the woods , having spent a fair amount of time in the woods an axe is my preference . Is this a regional thing or am I just having a bout of OCD ?

I spend a fair amount of time reading , looking at pics , watching videos to understand how things apply and to improve the type of cutting that I do and have gathered a lot from this site (many thanks ! ).
I try not to dismiss other people's techniques and I can tell stupidity from practicality .
One thing I see a fair amount on UbOOb Tube is a fair amount of fallers/fellers/foresters/loggers/whateveryouwanttocallthem and hacks packing a hammer of some type to drive wedges in the woods , having spent a fair amount of time in the woods an axe is my preference . Is this a regional thing or am I just having a bout of OCD ?

At a minimum you should have an axe with a 3lb head.

Hammers are sissy in the woods and serve no practical use; they can't chop/clean out faces. They're better off on the landing for banging on yarder spools or something.

At a minimum you should have an axe with a 3lb head.

Hammers are sissy in the woods and serve no practical use; they can't chop/clean out faces. They're better off on the landing for banging on yarder spools or something.

That's what I was thinking , nothing related to carpentry when dropping trees .

If you were wedged up tight I don't think a carpenter's hammer would do the job. I can't remember ever seeing anybody I worked with use one for beating wedges. I like a five lb. axe and sometimes that doesn't seem like enough...especially if you've read one wrong and you're trying to correct your mistake with wedges.

Of course, theoretically, you should never have to really wail on your wedges. So I'm told, anyway. :laugh:

Same thing as a westcoast faller , we run a Axe and Wedges (red heads) not Stihl wedges and husky oregon #### from the powersaw shop, we use axes wtf is a hammer good for! some short some long , some time even use hydraulic wedges.We call are selves fallers , not what the new eastcoast lingo is . We pride our selves on on a good clean Humboldt under cut , not 16 cuts boring the #### outta a stearing wheel size timber.

Id love to watch these guys drive over a 6ft fir , swinging it up hill into the lay with a ####in eastwing hammer and stihl $4.95 wedges .

No hammers. I usually carry a single bit axe. I am no pro, so please don't "hammer" on me,,,Haha!

Funny I guess, but one day last summer, I misplaced my usual axe, and grabbed a double bit axe to take with when cutting firewood.

I was thinning trees, when I tried to fall one tree that was close to another and had a limb or two that had grown into the crown of the other tree. It had a pretty good lean with all the heavy branches in right the direction. No problem. I tried to fall the tree. You guessed it,,,,no go.

So I hike back to the truck, gather up the double bit, and proceed to whack a wedge. I set the wedge, and made a good swing. Hit the wedge with the face of the axe, and crap! The handle snapped right at the head! No, I didn't hit the wedge with the handle. I felt like a fool!

Darn axe handles!

Bob

I carry a 4lb axe with a 30 or 32" handle. Its awfully handy to have the axe part occasionally. Less than 4 I don't find will drive much when you really need it.

I guess I can quit prefacing my posts in the Forestry and Logging Forum with "I am not a logger" and say instead "I carry a hammer". I carry a 3# hand sledge hammer (aka a hand drilling hammer) basically because the short handle axes are too light for me to drive wedges with any authority and as a firewood hack I am never far from my truck which carries a backup saw and an axe. If you guys could direct me to a well balanced short handle (24" or less) axe with a 3 to 4# head, I would gladly leave the hammer in the truck although I still won't qualify as a logger. Ron

I guess I can quit prefacing my posts in the Forestry and Logging Forum with "I am not a logger" and say instead "I carry a hammer". I carry a 3# hand sledge hammer (aka a hand drilling hammer) basically because the short handle axes are too light for me to drive wedges with any authority and as a firewood hack I am never far from my truck which carries a backup saw and an axe. If you guys could direct me to a well balanced short handle (24" or less) axe with a 3 to 4# head, I would gladly leave the hammer in the truck although I still won't qualify as a logger. Ron

Council Tool axe is the best money can buy these days.

I have a 20" handle with a 3lb head from them.

Madsens catalog will give you an idea what's available from council Ron. I've been meaning to pick up a 5 lb one myself. I've got a 3.5 lb on a 28" handle and it works pretty good.

Personal favorite.
Kinda go/no go test, if you will

Suppose it could double up as a wedge in a pinch.

crbs080015.jpg

I use a stihl splitting axe. Its about 3# and 20". It has a really heavy handle and a wide head. It seems to put trees on the ground all day and short enough to carry on a belt. . I think they are little pricey, but worth it in the long run.

I just put a 4-lb head on a 28" boy's axe handle. Handy enough to carry, heavy enough to pound wedges! It's an old Plumb.

i have not seen a plumb forest product for years!! so is their trade mark still red and strong as a pi$$ed of ox ?? really only seen them sold on the "best coast"..... just wondering!

Back