Hand filing chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was contemplating getting more acquainted with hand filing I was looking at the grandberg file-n-joint G106b. Anybody have or use one are they decent?

Biggest problem with new filers is not filing down while filing back. Need to keep that overhang!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a file n joint and the Husqvarna roller guide. The file n joint is slower but far more precise, I used it at home to set chains up for when I go out and about. The roller guide I use out in the field, so to speak, to touch up chains. The Husky guide is faster and it has taken over for most of my sharpening. They are both good tools and I would recommend both. But the files that came with my roller guide are utter garbage, very rough finish on the tooth, they cut slow and load up with pins far too much to be acceptable. I prefer Pferd or bailey's woodland pro files. Pferd are the fastest but dont last as well as the woodland pro ones (for me).

Been hand filing since I was 11 (man that was a long time ago)...have owned 4 top notch grinders, all were for round ground. Not even close to my freehand filing. They are all gone and will never be replaced. Hand filing is where its at as long as you're good at it. All the jigs/guides they are selling won't be needed with a guy that knows how to file.

Been hand filing since I was 11 (man that was a long time ago)...have owned 4 top notch grinders, all were for round ground. Not even close to my freehand filing. They are all gone and will never be replaced. Hand filing is where its at as long as you're good at it. All the jigs/guides they are selling won't be needed with a guy that knows how to file.
Nail hit on head.[emoji106]

True, but aquiring that skill level requires running through quite a few dozen high quality files, something that most homeowner firewooders will not achieve in 40 years firewood cutting. So I do see the file guides as well as the grinders, irrespective of quality level, as absolutely having their place in the field. Better a semi sharp chain than a completely dull chain.

I want a guide system for my files, I tried hand filing free hand once the teeth looked awesome nice hook to them went out and tried it, wouldn't cut to save it's own a$$. My grinders just don't put the "hook in the tooth like a factory chain or a round filed chain it cuts fine but the tooth is more flat like it's using the side of the stone more than the end I know that's probly wat it is but the angle of the head isn't adjustable in that dimension. Dad has 2-3 GAMN sharpeners with the burrs that will make a razor sharp tooth. I plan on cutting wood for the rest of forever I want to know how to do it the old fashioned way

I can get one off eBay for 30 bucks they look stout. Some of the other files guides look pretty junky. The grandberg looks heavier duty to me

Nail hit on head.[emoji106]
+1. and a good avatar too. :) my dad taught me to hand file because he was to cheap to spend a $1.50 at the saw shop to get a chain sharpened. @Boomer 87 see if you can hook up with a member that is close by to you to give you some tips. i'm sure the guide will help you out.

Dad even admits he's not super good at hand filing, but he tells me his dad was real good of course he didn't have a choice, he was also the kind of man who could put a stake in the ground and say that's where the trees gonna fall, drove the stake every time

I'm very impressed with the Stihl offering:
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/2in1file/

I have the Husky roller guide and it does work well also. The Stihl is a little more money, but I find it works better.

"The STIHL 2 in 1 Filing Guide simplifies the process of sharpening your saw chain by completing two functions at once – sharpening your saw chain cutters and lowering your depth gauges. The ease and accuracy of this unique accessory makes it the perfect system for maintenance of your STIHL chainsaw. The system includes two round files, one flat file, and comes with a unique file holder and filing guide. The STIHL 2 in 1 Filing Guide gets more done with each stroke, so you can spend less time sharpening your saw chain and more time putting your chainsaw to work."

Back