Hand filing sucks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 346xp and MS660 run semi and the 090 runs .404 chisel skip. The 090 isn't a work saw though. The previous owner of the 660 used carbide chain on my property but he was removing burls. If I keep all my saws in semi and have a grinder that's as good as it can get for me I think. I really need to sneak in a 372xp or a 461 into the mix. Sawing is therapy for my desk job!

To each his own,

I remember when a out of the box chain was so great. After learning to file it seems the "new" chains leave something to be desired.

Never counted strokes, just go until you can feel a smooth glass like stroke, and hit the rakers a bit. Files are consumables and cheap, don't try over-using them.

Glad you like your machine, but a good file and vice is pretty quick.

meh... I do equal ammounts of both. Hand file in field and on race chains. Grinder is good for severely worn/beat chains or customer chains.

what you need is a proper chain vise and some husky guides and you wouldn't complain about hand filing.

Last edited:
I hardly ever take me chains to the grinder. It takes too much off and often is too easy to damage a cutter with heat. I have many chains for all my saws in my field box. When sawing, I'll run through a tank or two and then take 5 to fill up and run a file through the chain to touch it up. If I ground one bad, I'll swap it out. I do my filing after hours in the shop drinking nice cold beer watching or listening to the game on the tube, I find it to be nice alone time. I find that if I dig out the ole reading glasses so that I can see, I can get a much better cutter hand filing. :msp_biggrin:

I started sharpening my chains with a 12 volt granburg several years ago. Tried to get into hand filing after hearing from many experts on this site. I quickly decided it sucked! The wood I cut is too dirty, I go through a chain every 20-60min without touching the ground. I finally bought a 511ax, and its the best thing I have ever purchased. My first slab cuts with the 660 were as flat as glass, how could I have cut wood for so long without one?

Handfiling freehand is the only real way to do it! :givebeer:

I would not say hand filing sucks as I hand file myself and only use a grinder when I hit something bad. That being said there are some people who just can't hand sharpen effectively. I would rather see someone in the woods cutting good and safely than someone with a dull or crooked cutting chain. To each their own and glad you found a grinder that works for you.

ok hand file my chains :msp_wink: View attachment 302269

No problem:buttkick:

:givebeer::popcorn::popcorn:

275514d1359143760-015-jpg

Last edited:
do you end up reshaping the cutter with a file ? i can get the top plate fine ,the side never seems to fit my file after i grind

I do file a few of them after grinding to the desired length. The gullet is usually what the file is catching on. That chain in the picture hasn't been on a grinder this year. It's about worn out completely now. I file some chains just for the practice.

The side plate being short doesn't hurt anything. There's not much of it actually cutting.

I'm glad I went with the non PC title, this is a good thread. I just wanted to clear up that I can hand file, it is the sharpest chain you can get but it pisses me off to waste my labor so fast in the wood I cut. 3 or 4 passes with a file between tanks doesn't do it on what I cut. With that being said bring on the banter! Troll if you are ever in Central CA bring your 560XP and a file, I'll bring the beer!

I find that hand filing is some of the best therapy in the world. Having to do the 41" chain on my 075 took almost long enough to make me sane again.

I'll just stick with hand filing myself.

I can file one on the saw quicker than I can set it up in a grinder and it will cut better. :msp_smile:

I'm sure the grinder is a fine machine and has its place. Hand filing between fill-ups takes 3-5 mins. and gives me a chance to take a breather and think about what I'm doing. If I don't need a breather, then I'm not working hard enough.

Yes!:agree2:

Latest posts

Back