Hand filing sucks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do both, hand file and sometimes use the grinder to fix a rocked chain. One thing I will mention is that using the grinder is not a walk in the park. I've seen some really screwed up chain come off a grinder. A neighbor had a guy down the valley grind 12 chains for him. Every one was ruined by overheating. Using a grinder takes thought, patience and practice. Gee sounds like hand filing. I have a grinder and use it but I enjoy hand filing. Must be an age thing. I can see where a young buck would be impatient with hand filing:) One other comment, I think you will use up a chain quicker by sharpening with a grinder vs hand filing. Hard to take just a few hand strokes worth of touch up with a grinder IMO.

With the high end grinders just taking a tiny bit is possible. I have 2 silvey grinders and still hand file some just because.

The real holy grail of filing is when you get to the point that you can get the square cut using only a round file.

I hand file but also use a grinder. I have an el cheapo grinder and use it for chains after enemy contact or for chains from friends who are hand filling without a clue what they are doing(way too much hook, every cutter in different form, angle and length...) and the chain needs a proper set point again. They only get sharpened by the grinder.

edit: all in all my grinder doesn't get used often.

Last edited:
Geez you guys need to start cutting cleaner wood! Haha, I cut clean ash and cherry. Dropped with a shovel in an open field usually off the ground almost completely. I can have chains last hours. I actually prefer the Oregon chains because they're a little softer and its easier to put a good edge on hand filing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I touch up a chain ever 2-3 tanks of fuel. 5 minutes or less.

Never wait until it's so dull it makes dust!

I also never swap a chain in the field, easier to sharpen on the bar!

With the high end grinders just taking a tiny bit is possible. I have 2 silvey grinders and still hand file some just because.

You need to donate one of those silvey's :hmm3grin2orange: I can't get square chain around here so I don't know how to file it. But I learned how well it cuts on race chains.

I touch up a chain ever 2-3 tanks of fuel. 5 minutes or less.

Never wait until it's so dull it makes dust!

I also never swap a chain in the field, easier to sharpen on the bar!

Co-workers think I am crazy but I file at least twice a day(and I cut 75% softwood). The better my saw cuts the easier the work and more money in my pocket.

I always swap in the field. I hate sharpening while not on my bench. I have a setup for the chains that I use to sharpen. Real quick and sturdy not on the saw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I will vouch for a grinder, they have their place, as has been stated, especially to "reset" a messed up (poorly filed) chain or one that has found a lot of rocks, dirt or metal in the wood! That said, I do not own a grinder, I hand file, an old friend of mine, who was a saw filer for years for Crown Zellerback, had his own saw shop and taught me how to sharpen circular saws and hand powered saws, (I learnt how to hand file saw chain when I was 12-13 yrs old), his shop was outfitted with some real nice sharpening machines, but the only blades that I sharpened with a machine was carbide tipped blades, all others I could get a better edge on with a hand file. One key to sharpening anything by hand is selecting the correct file! There are good files and there are cheap files(quality). I prefer Simonds, but Pferd and SavEdge both have some very good ones too. Purchased by the dozen, files are not very costly, especially when compared to the cost of premium grinding wheels!

Latest posts

Back