Hand saw for climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was thinking of buying a Silky "Sugoi" with 14 inch blade.
Wondering if any LOVE/HATE comments about this saw for climbing?
Found on sale for 50, preciate any input. Thanks

good saw but the handle will catch your rope and whatever else it can get ahold of.

the sugio was my last handsaw. it "fell" off the truck never to be seen again.

so to replace it i went with the ibuki. i am liking that handsaw.

both big handsaws for sure.

i'd get the ibuki again before the sugio.

Every time this topic comes up, I recommend the Fiskars handsaw that you can buy at Walmart. So far as I know, nobody here at AS has ever tried it out. I would put it up against any saw made.

Here is another thread on that topic. This will save a lot of people time in re-posting the same opinions. My post is #27

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=84233&highlight=fiskars

I currently have the Sugoi, Silky Ibuki, Silky Gomtaro, and a Samurai (and a couple of folding saws that don't get used on 'real' jobs - just when talking with clients and showing them stuff on small trees).

The Sugoi is the one on my harness everytime. The Ibuki is nice, but heavier and has a wider kerf so more work. I won't call it a waste of money - but I would have been better off to buy another Sugoi instead. The others: it is nice to have smaller ones to reach into tighter spaces on occassion.

$50 = buy it and don't look back - I can't imagine you won't like the saw and the "go cheaper" argument just lost a good $15+ at that price.

Sherrill will price match, by the way (I pass that along because they are a site sponsor and a good company to deal with. Even when they messed up some numbers on my last order, they quickly got it taken care of without any arguments - just a couple of phone calls to get things clarified).

Edit to add:
I have tried several cheaper saws over the years including Fiskars and Corona (but I have never tried a good Fanno). While I have not tried a wal-mart Fiskars recently, all others that I have used just aren't in the same class as Silky or Samurai - not in initial quality, and definately not after even a single day of heavy use. I'm not saying pdqdl is wrong (because I don't know that I've tried the specific saws he is talking about)...but I'm not waisting my money to find out either. $70 is a bite when you spend it, but not so much a year later when it is still running strong and earning me money.

Last edited:
Granted, the Fiskars do seem a bit cheap, and they are not the lightest saw you can buy, either. They are probably a bit larger than folks like too. I can cut a 2"-3" branch with it faster than you can unsnap, use, and re-hang your chainsaw. Mine are about 5 years old, and cut as well as the day I bought them, mostly because they are so easy to sharpen.

But no other saw allows you to quickly sharpen it on the job; certainly not with the same round file you use on your trim saw. The tiny little triangular teeth found on most pruning saws will always gum up in pitchy wood; not so with the Fiskars.

All the guys I have let use my saw have liked it,

Here are some pics:

attachment.php

A closeup of the teeth. They are probably the only special thing about this saw.
attachment.php

Can't remember if I posted in the other thread but I have the sugoi as well. It's been a good one, had it for two years. However, it is a tad longer than I like. If I had it to do over again I'd prolly go with the Zubat.

Granted, the Fiskars do seem a bit cheap, and they are not the lightest saw you can buy, either. They are probably a bit larger than folks like too. I can cut a 2"-3" branch with it faster than you can unsnap, use, and re-hang your chainsaw. Mine are about 5 years old, and cut as well as the day I bought them, mostly because they are so easy to sharpen.

But no other saw allows you to quickly sharpen it on the job; certainly not with the same round file you use on your trim saw.

I've seen these saws before, big box store, and wondered if would hold edge. Sharpen with 5/32s round????? NOW YOUV'E GOT MY ATTENTION

that old beater pdq? lol. cmon.

i'll run my fine wire brush into the grooves from the top down to clean out the junk. or spray it with simple green or parts cleaner to get it back to "pristine" condition. i'd rather have the silky thanks.

although hand sharpening it with the little file is a pretty good feature.

The Sugoi is a bad mo-fo, it's what I carry. On my leg the handle used to hook rope/brush and get pulled out of its scabbard. Those Silkys are so darn sharp too, not cool. Once I started carrying on my belt it didn't come out much any more; only once in a year since on my hip; of course right when the homeowner's standing there!

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp and light! I have two well used ones and both still cut SUPER fast. Rigid, versatile scabbard allowing you to just drop your saw into the scabbard using sound alone. Extra grippy, comfy handle and that hook keeps your hand on the grip even if the saw binds or your hands are wet. Long-boy...makes your reach excellent for grabbing branches, rope or whatever. The little Ivy cutter on the end keeps your saw in the cut if you pull back a bit too far; might save someone from binding the tip, bending and breaking on the way back forward.

Cons: Plastic scabbard seems to have dead space or unneeded material taking up space. Also, blade eventually wears a hole in plastic scabbard. The hook on the handle does occasionally grab stuff. Expensive...replacement blades are almost as much as a whole new Sugoi. The bolt holding the blade on wants to loosen from time to time, though I suppose a drop of locktite would solve that and it's an easy to thumb-tighten on the fly with it's tooless head. If you even touch yourself with the blade, you're cut...they like to bite.

Only other handsaw I've used was a Corona, years ago, so I can't really compare the Sugoi to other saws. Above is just from my personal experience with the Sugoi. $50? Buy it!

Silky "Zubat"... A little smaller than the Sugoi, so it's a little easier to handle in the tree. The grip is really nice, and the plastic scabbard is small and lightweight. Mine hung from my belt...

I don't climb anymore... but still have that saw.

Gary

climbed with a corona since 2000 and tried out a silky zubat once. great at first but thought it got dull quick and couldnt stand the scabberd. dont do to much trim work anymore tho so dont take my word for it, mostly use hand saws for catchin ropes

I have a Zubat and a Sugoi, so I use the former for finer pruning and the latter for when there is bigger wood.

Cons: Plastic scabbard seems to have dead space or unneeded material taking up space.

I have had this with almost every saw untill I picked up the habbit of tapping the blade before stowing.

I use the Sugoi leg scabbard for almost all my climbing.

No matter what, i will not go back the the old style saws. I buy blades in bulk once a year at tradeshows and save a few dollars.

Now if I could only put a Zubat blade on a 12 foot basswood pole.

that old beater pdq? lol. cmon.

i'll run my fine wire brush into the grooves from the top down to clean out the junk. or spray it with simple green or parts cleaner to get it back to "pristine" condition. i'd rather have the silky thanks.

although hand sharpening it with the little file is a pretty good feature.

I don't care how pretty a saw is, I only care how well it works.

Wire brush to clean? Simple green or parts cleaner? Mine has never been cleaned since the day it was new. Self cleaning teeth, just like your chainsaw.

It'll cut as well as any other hand saw I have ever touched, and it's at least five years old. Beat that with any other saw!

I wish it has a smaller point, though. Not too good for really tight quarters. It's not so good on twigs and little branches, as the cut is a bit aggressive. It will routinely cut a 1' branch in one pull.

Last edited:
Using a Silky Gomtaro. Have been for years. I don't use my hand saw for big stuff. I use it for prunes or final cuts after setting a hinge and bore and taking the final strap. I have never had a problem. Scabbard does wear out around 2 years. I replace the blade every year, I guess just to spend money. But I am thoroughly satisfied. No cleaning, sharpening, or hassles in any way. $46 at Sherrill.
BP

Every time this topic comes up, I recommend the Fiskars handsaw that you can buy at Walmart. So far as I know, nobody here at AS has ever tried it out. I would put it up against any saw made.

Here is another thread on that topic. This will save a lot of people time in re-posting the same opinions. My post is #27

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=84233&highlight=fiskars

Just out of curiosity with your saw that you displayed. It doesn't have a double edge meaning it can't cut with a forward thrust only a back.

I know it doesn't take all that long to cut a 3" branch with your handsaw but wouldn't you rather have a "double" edge so when you thrust forward you cut also?

I am not criticizing I am really asking the question. I use a double edge plastic handle handsaw I bought at HD and it works great. I've even gone as far as letting the groundman use it when he can't get odd limbs through the chipper. I am not big on letting other people use my chain saws. Plus I spent like 13.99$ on the handsaw so it wouldn't bother me if it broke but it's been a while and it's going strong.

thats a good pull.

I have the corona version from the big box store....and mine will often cut a 1" limb with one pul also....
I've used all my partners hand saws in the past and mine cuts just a good if not better than theres..

Latest posts

Back