So thinking about a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mas0n

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So yeah kinda want something new. Currently have a 194t 346xp and a dolkita 6400 I'm about to put a 7900 jug on. With the current sale from husky I'm tempted to buy something thinking 562 mark 2 would fill a gap that doesn't really need to be filled. Also love the 346xp and wouldn't mind a 550 just love the 50's
I'm sure everyone will just tell save it for a rainy day!
Thanks in advanced

Kind of same boat. But I just had an intersting conversation with a local dealer that said they had the saw I was looking for but wanted to charge a 5% document fee. I asked for what? Well… we aren’t like the big box stores so it’s get the saw out and get it registered in your name etc. Really?? 5% extra to out my name in a blank?!? Anyone else run into this as a regular thing?

Kind of same boat. But I just had an intersting conversation with a local dealer that said they had the saw I was looking for but wanted to charge a 5% document fee. I asked for what? Well… we aren’t like the big box stores so it’s get the saw out and get it registered in your name etc. Really?? 5% extra to out my name in a blank?!? Anyone else run into this as a regular thing?
I just bought a 540xp a couple days ago the price was what was listed on husky's website. No extra charge, it was cash or check no credit card. Try another dealer, I see a link on husky's website you can register it online your self. He's scamming you.

That's new to me for sure! Have you ever dealt with them before what brand?

Husky. Cant buy through the Husky website or I would. My local dealer isn’t participating in the 20% off deal. Apparently, there aren’t that many dealers that are participating.

I accidentally bought an MS400, which brings me to "The Ten Saw Max."
Now I can't buy one without selling one.
Guess I'll have to work on the truck, motorcycle, car, and buy a boat. 😄

Jburner just Google husqvarna chainsaw there are plenty of options for delivery hence my dilemma as I dislike my husky dealer.
Brad I like the ms400 congrats! I don't make money with saws so not sure I can justify one but keep me posted on ur thoughts.

Husky. Cant buy through the Husky website or I would. My local dealer isn’t participating in the 20% off deal. Apparently, there aren’t that many dealers that are participating.
Where in wis i called 3 local ones and they honored the website price

I'd give them the option of waiving that fee or I'm walking. I don't pay that stuff when buying a car, the price we agreed on is what I'm paying. I'm sure as heck not paying it on a saw.

STIHL has a similar program from the sound of it, basically if they want to stay in business they need to generate interest and momentum, that costs money, they're being up front with us that their margins aren't high enough in today's economy to afford marketing so they're adding a surcharge to help promote wood cutting and saw use.

It just is what it is, shops aren't getting rich off selling saws, they're paying taxes. They're up front about why they need to charge more, and fighting the uphill battle of keeping gas powered tools legal in essence.

STIHL has a similar program from the sound of it, basically if they want to stay in business they need to generate interest and momentum, that costs money, they're being up front with us that their margins aren't high enough in today's economy to afford marketing so they're adding a surcharge to help promote wood cutting and saw use.

It just is what it is, shops aren't getting rich off selling saws, they're paying taxes. They're up front about why they need to charge more, and fighting the uphill battle of keeping gas powered tools legal in essence.
My usual dealer has stihl, husqy, and echo and doesn't charge a red cent extra to register for warranty, of which stihl is the only one that demands the dealer does it. Any dealer claiming other wise is ripping the customer off. There enough marketing bs out there. Especially from stihl ramming their products out into the front lines as "the best thing since sliced bread." If you haven't seen it yet, wait till you see the commercial for their re branded zero turns, it's mint.... bet the sell like hot cakes. 🙄

There enough marketing bs out there. Especially from stihl ramming their products out into the front lines as "the best thing since sliced bread." If you haven't seen it yet, wait till you see the commercial for their re branded zero turns, it's mint.... bet the sell like hot cakes. 🙄
STIHL commercials at the STIHL Timbersports U.S. Championships were focused on battery power tools, it looks like they pretty much have to do that politically. The only battery powered tool they actually used was a leaf blower to clean the stage between rounds. (@Juliana Wolf and I attended)

Without marketing ("ramming their products out into the front lines") the younger generation isn't generally interested in much. Whether that's the school systems, parents, video games, whatever, I'd personally rather have them at least somewhat "for" tree guys than fighting against cutting trees "to save the planet."

1709135393620.jpeg

STIHL commercials at the STIHL Timbersports U.S. Championships were focused on battery power tools, it looks like they pretty much have to do that politically.

I think most of you forget that the homeowner who cuts a couple limbs per year outnumber serious saw users by over 1000:1. Stihl can sell a lot more battery homeowner saws than they can pro gas saws.

Politics I'm sure plays some role, but I suspect they're really just going after the bigger market.

Latest posts

Back