Hand truck for hauling rounds out of the woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after years of bucking in the woods and hand carrying the rounds to my truck my brain finally clicked on. go to harbor freight and buy some 1/4" x 50-ft aircraft grade wire cable (more than one if you want to get wood deeper in the woods). only cost $19.99 and lists a max load capacity of 6160 pounds. if necessary you can rig some pulleys up. i now cut mine into 8-foot lengths (6 - 16" rounds) and drag mine to my wood processing area where i buck and split them. only lifting i do now is to stack it after i split it. a lot easier on the back, more convenient, and quicker. looks like you got a truck, should use it.

Hi Jerry:

I thought about this very thing. Buy 100 yards of cable, a bunch of pulleys, and a bunch of short chains for anchoring to redirect the load as needed, and use my truck for dragging. Sure would save me a ton of work. But the fire roads I'm on are very narrow. I have no room to maneuver. I can only go one way or the other. My tow line would probably have to cross the fire road. That's really no big deal as nobody is on the rode but me. But, I'm always alone in the woods. If I started dragging an 8 foot section, I wouldn't know when they get hung-up on something (or would I?). My truck would be 60 to 70 yards from where the tree is, and I wouldn't be able to see what's happening very well. I have a pretty sturdy hitch but I don't wanna break something on my new truck. Do you use any kind of skidding cone? Any other helpful tips you can offer would sure be appreciated.

Thanks Jerry,

Don <><

PS: Do you use just one long cable. If I used 2 shorter 50 yard cables, how would I splice them together. Or do I just stop, and re-rig when one cable is run out.

This all sounds like "busy" work. But I'd rather do that then "back-breaking" work.

Last edited:
Back on the wagon again

I think the wagon is the best Idea.

Portable, fairly cheap and when not hauling wood you can pull kids around in it.

Hi Jerry:

I thought about this very thing. Buy 100 yards of cable, a bunch of pulleys, and a bunch of short chains for anchoring to redirect the load as needed, and use my truck for dragging. Sure would save me a ton of work. But the fire roads I'm on are very narrow. I have no room to maneuver. I can only go one way or the other. My tow line would probably have to cross the fire road. That's really no big deal as nobody is on the rode but me. But, I'm always alone in the woods. If I started dragging an 8 foot section, I wouldn't know when they get hung-up on something (or would I?). My truck would be 60 to 70 yards from where the tree is, and I wouldn't be able to see what's happening very well. I have a pretty sturdy hitch but I don't wanna break something on my new truck. Do you use any kind of skidding cone? Any other helpful tips you can offer would sure be appreciated.

Thanks Jerry,

Don <><

PS: Do you use just one long cable. If I used 2 shorter 50 yard cables, how would I splice them together. Or do I just stop, and re-rig when one cable is run out.

This all sounds like "busy" work. But I'd rather do that then "back-breaking" work.

don,
if you set your pulleys correctly then you can drive down the fire road and pull. the cable would go through a 90* bend at the pulley(s). just select a stable tree. or you can re-rig it numerous times so you can pull it straight out. i always use a short chocker on the log so i can hook up directly to the chocker. before i started doing that i got a chain stuck under the log and couldn't unhook it when i needed to rerig. also use a short chain at my truck. you can place hooks at intervals along your cable at varying lengths if you just want to use one long cable.
as far as knowing when its stuck, i try to keep it within eyesight so i can see. but when i can't see it i still go extremely slow (in first gear on my automatic). when watching the cable you can tell when the slack is out and if the truck is still moving easily you're not hung up. you could also tie flagging to the cable to help determine if its moving. i've found that the log will tend to deflect itself around trees. sometimes though it wants to hang up on trees or large rocks.
a possible problem with shorter cables is when it needs to go through the pulley but you can work around that. i've literally gotten in and out of my truck 5 - 10 times on the same skidding operation just to re-rig.
i've read a thread on AS concerning skid cones. the only one that comes to mind is someone used an old automobile hood.
when i place hooks on the ends of my cable there is a small loop. when i connect two cables i just hook into a loop.
i examine my cables on a regular basis cause rocks can, and do, play hell on them and also if the log gets stuck you may break some strands. you just don't want a cable snapping on you and hurting someone or something.
good luck. save your back.

Last edited:
Still waiting on why a wheelbarrow is so out-dated as opposed to the wagons n hand trucks. ( I know it loses to the winch/cable ). It might be a little more weight supported by you, but seems like better control of the load over uneven ground.

Lots of times I'm taking stuff downhill, and I like the "braking" capability of the barrow ( poor man's skiing )

Why not pull logs with something like this? A PTO driven winch on my 1959 IH 4x4.

2742353950097493054S600x600Q85.jpg

2907930150097493054S600x600Q85.jpg

I have a red wagon like the yellow one and a little bigger green one and it works great around the yard.
Bring wood up to the house with them, should work for what you want.
Also for skidding logs i have a 10,000 pound winch on my trailer with 85 feet of cable and also have a 100 foot extra cable for stuff farther away.
With the winch you can see what is going on with the log as you bring it to where you are.

Good one.

I got this one from tractor supply.

Hand Truck, 1000 lb. Capacity - 3893949 | Tractor Supply Company

I use it all the time and it has never let me down. Has a wide stance and when the tires are inflated to near rock solid it rolls over rough terrain easily. If you get anywhere near its rated weight capacity, its a feat to tip it back onto the wheels but it can and will hold that much...only question is can you move 1000lbs?

We us this on the tree service and it has held up pretty well. Quite a bit cheaper than the ball cart from AM Lenard and others.

I use it all the time and it has never let me down. Has a wide stance and when the tires are inflated to near rock solid it rolls over rough terrain easily. If you get anywhere near its rated weight capacity, its a feat to tip it back onto the wheels but it can and will hold that much...only question is can you move 1000lbs?

We us this on the tree service and it has held up pretty well. Quite a bit cheaper than the ball cart from AM Lenard and others.

I love mine. Little big to throw in the back of an suv, but handles big rounds well over rough terrain. Ron

Wheels too small. Big wheels make moving heavy weights and/or rough terrain much easier.

I don't use it in the wood, but this is what I use to haul my wood inside:
Find Great Deals On Firewood Carts - Harbor Freight Tools

It's built in Ohio by these guys:
Lawn Sweeper Cart Garden

But way cheaper through HF, go figure.

I do have to put air in the tires fairly frequently. I've used Slime which helped a bit but didn't fix the issue. I think it "burps" the air when I'm going up or down stairs with a load on the cart full and all the weight is on the very corner of the step.

I tried using a small hand truck a couple weeks ago on some pretty big locust. It just wanted to roll over on the rough terrain. I have been eyeing the 1000 lb one at TSC. I would weld a tongue on it and pull it like a trailer behind my 4 wheeler. I would make it so you could stand it up while still hitched up then fold down and haul. I haven't pulled the trigger, though.

Saving the back ..

I get pretty tired humping 30 to 80 pound rounds 50 yards out of the forest and back to my truck, one by one. What do you think of this hand truck for this purpose. It has pneumatic tires. I cut my rounds to 16" thick, and very, very rarely exceed 18" in diameter. This hand truck looks like it could hold 3 rounds and still be way under it's 330 pound capacity. That would mean 1/3 the trips, and a lot less effort. But if you see something negative about it, let me know.

Northern Industrial Convertible Log Cart and Hand Truck — 330-lb. Capacity | Logging Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

Don <><

attachment.php

Just me thinking I'm getting smarter as I get older, but look at tree dollies for moving those rounds out of your cutting area. They have big tires and have a good balance point for picking up heavy , low center-of-gravity stuff, like big tree rounds. We have used our dollies in the NF's that saved our backs in the forest getting the rounds to the truck. Nobody quit on me!!

it'd cost a few more bones, but...

why not an inexpensive winch on a plate that slips into your tow receiver?

from your pic it looks like you could easily rig a snatch block so you're not pulling sideways on the receiver

then just skid 8' lengths out to the fire road

might come in handy if your truck ever gets in a spot of trouble also...

-----

from time to time I run rounds and poles around behind the garage with a hand truck, but it's always a rolling exercise in balanced patience

My wife bought me one 2 years ago,works great.A ratchet or cam lock strap(tie-down) works good for holding the rounds on.

I use this one for hauling rounds. I have others but the width of this one makes it much more stable on uneven terrain. The only place it really falls short is trying to pull/push it sideways across a hill. As others have mentioned it has wider tires. I have considered extending the axle and adding another pair of tires outside of the ones that are already there, but it works well as is. I have also considered making removable bars like the NT model but again, it seems to work fine as is. VS the NT model, this one cradles a large round a little better:
600 lb. Capacity Extra Wide Hand Truck

image_7771.jpg

I realize they are expensive, I've got two bought used and they average $300.00 a piece, new is over $1,1600...

....but the DR Powerwagon will change the way you look at hauling wood out of the woods. It's amazing how fast a pickup fills up hauling 4-600 lbs. of wood per trip. Mine is used mostly for getting wood out of back yards doing residential tree work but it also works well hauling wood out of wooded areas.

DR® Power Equipment - Powerwagons - powered wagon all terrain utility vehicle

That my friend is a sweet set up. I can't imagine I'd ever find one used in my area but I'd buy it in a minute. However, being the Cheap Charlie I am I am torn between these two units;

Northern Industrial Tree Truck — 1500-Lb. Capacity, Model# 143722 | Specialty Hand Trucks | Northern Tool + Equipment

Leonard Nursery Truck Extended Lift 1000 lbs, Pneumatic Tires | A.M. Leonard, Inc.

I am wondering if the Leonard ball truck is better quality. I think the wheels/tires might be better suited for all terrain work.

I realize they are expensive, I've got two bought used and they average $300.00 a piece, new is over $1,1600...

....but the DR Powerwagon will change the way you look at hauling wood out of the woods. It's amazing how fast a pickup fills up hauling 4-600 lbs. of wood per trip. Mine is used mostly for getting wood out of back yards doing residential tree work but it also works well hauling wood out of wooded areas.

DR® Power Equipment - Powerwagons - powered wagon all terrain utility vehicle

I did find this ....

DR Powerwagon

Why not one of those 4 wheel wagons? The sides fold down and it would probably be more stable. Plus you could use it for bringing splits to the house.

6933531200141xl.jpg

I have that wagon, only in a plum color and the tires seem more balloony on mine. I use it a lot. It yarded my maple wood over to my wood pile here. The sides drop or come off. The tires air up. The bad thing is that the handle is a couple inches too short. If I knew how to weld, I would put on a longer handle.

I think the weight limit is around 300 pounds for it. Mine is a Chinese import. I got it at the feed store.

i used one of those 4-wheeled wagons for one tree. problem was that i basically had to "build" a road for the wagon to go on. also, had a constant challenge to keep the wagon from tipping which i lost a few times. hence, my continuous search for a better way - for me.

I get pretty tired humping 30 to 80 pound rounds 50 yards out of the forest and back to my truck, one by one. What do you think of this hand truck for this purpose. It has pneumatic tires. I cut my rounds to 16" thick, and very, very rarely exceed 18" in diameter. This hand truck looks like it could hold 3 rounds and still be way under it's 330 pound capacity. That would mean 1/3 the trips, and a lot less effort. But if you see something negative about it, let me know.

Northern Industrial Convertible Log Cart and Hand Truck — 330-lb. Capacity | Logging Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

Don <><

I have several hand trucks and a lot of experience using them, including a super heavy duty model designed to move 55 gallon drums of whatever, heavy stuff. On hard ground, they work great, any slopes or irregularities or soft ground, they just suck. Wheelbarrow is king for moving stuff around uneven terrain. As long as not overloaded, say..you can carry X size round, go 3x in the wheelbarrow and it will still be mostly easy and controllable.

I also have one of the folding sides wagons illustrated above ^ and it works OK offroad, as long as you watch it on slopes, it can tip sideways easy with a load on. I've dumped mine a couple times..rather a PITA... much heavier than a wheelbarrow as well and clunkier to get back up onto your truck, on top of your wood score, at the end of the day.

Wheelbarrows are an ancient tried and true design that just works for manpower moving clunky stuff from point A to B over most any terrain. That would be my first choice based on use and cost.

In the winter, if you have good frozen ground and snow or whatever, a toboggan.

The Dr powerwagon looks spiffy. But, then you need a trailer.

If you can tote a small trailer, with your truck, a cheap used riding mower, take the mower off, chains and liquid filled tires, small garden cart trailer, you're in biznezz if you want a fuel burning thing for cheap, just as an alternative to that powerwagon. That would be light enough so you could detach after unloading the mower and trailer thing, turn it around by hand, then hook your truck back up heading back out. Anything too heavy would be a pain to turn around in down old fireroads.

I just like a wheelbarrow myself for past where I want to carry or roll a big round. And they are light enough to chunk back up on top of your load and strap it down for the trip home. Just don't fill it all up like you are moving around your yard a short distance. For me, your mileage will vary, about 3 times what I can hand carry and I can still go uphill, maneuver around roots and chunks, etc, pretty well, and speeds up the process and doesn't wear me out. I can put more weight in, it will fit, but then gets to be sorta stupid once I want to move it.

With that said, I have wondered about something like a two wheeled off road tires rickshaw looking thing. Get a good balance over the axle with your weight, and you get to pull rather than push with a wheelbarrow. I am not aware of anything like that for sale though, but I bet it exists. You see pics of two wheeled carts with humans pulling them in like third world countries, with some impressive loads on them.

Maybe take a single axle garden cart, lose the single pull beam, adapt two long handles to it instead, something like that.

Or a wheelbarrow, bolt some extension handles to it and pull it instead of pushing it. Pulling works better than pushing in a lot of cases. I'd unbolt the cargo part and turn it around and rebolt it, if I was to do that. That and lower the rear skid parts to get better ground clearance. Be some cutting and welding or bolting involved then.

Latest posts

Back