I used a garden wagon to haul rounds and it worked really well !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last time out, I tried using a garden wagon to get the bucked rounds back to my truck which was 50 yards away. It worked really well. I get my wood from the Nicolet National Forest, and can't take a vehicle in to the woods. The wagon holds 6 rounds (16" long, 16" diameter), but I had a hard time pulling that much weight (I estimate 300 lbs) over uneven terrain. 4 rounds I could pull fairly well (around 200 lbs). And when I got to the the smaller end of the tree, I got 12 to 15 rounds in it. It took me about 30 to 45 minutes to get a whole 16" diameter, 80' tall tree (that 60 rounds 16" long) back to my truck (6 to 8 trips) and with a whole lot less effort. Normally that would take me an hour and a half, to 2 hours, (around 50 trips) and a whole lot of back breaking effort. I thought about a dolly or a wheel barrow, but this is way better. No balancing the load, and no lifting while moving the load. Actually, I could get 9 big rounds in the wagon (around 450 lbs), but I could only pull that much weight on very flat and even terrain, and not very far. The picture below is not the exact wagon I used, but it's close. I borrowed my girlfriends old, beat-up garden wagon which is a little bigger. Now it goes with me every time I make a woods run. I can't use it in every situation, but more often than not, I can.

Don <><

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
You got more drive than I do... I couldn't imagine working that hard to get wood out...:)

Although you must get a heck of a work out..

I built a decent sized cart to use behind my quad here at the house. All it is, is a gator bed mounted on top of a homemade axle with some cheap lawn mower wheels... I've had to have had 1k lbs in it... I'll load it down till the tires are flat then pull it over to the wood pile.... Not pretty but it works.

Much coolness! Wheels work! That's the same wagon I use here. Convertible, pull by hand or swap the handle and pull by yard mower buggy.

I bet you are kicking yourself now for not doing it earlier, aincha!

Better now than never though! Really glad to see you find a fix for your predicament. I'm lucky here, can use the tractor and just got a new young donkey! I'll post some pics once I have a cart for him built and he and I train each other.

The garden cart I use is 30 inches wide by 48 inches long, and is rated to hold 1,200 pounds. It has 6 inch sides that can fold down or be removed easily, and the handle easily converts to a hitch for the 4 wheeler.

I have easily had 600-700 pounds on it but it is sure a booger to move around. But I love it, makes getting the wood to the pickup so much faster and easier. At the house I fill it up and pull it into what we call the dog room and it holds enough wood for a VERY cold week or a regular week and a half.

Great post and info Don. Thanks!

I have one of those also. Almost a mandatory thing around a place. Bought it on-line and assembled it on the patio. Eyballed and hit the shop to cut a couple pieces of scrap plywod to line the bottom with, that light gauge mesh would dish in in an instant with the stuff I toss in there.

Only thing I don't like about it is the narrow wheelbase. Axles should have been a bit wider putting the tires flush with the sides. I have turned mine over on minor sidehills and even just pulling it around a corner a bit fast...of course thatis with loads of wood piled high.

Harry K

I use 150' of wire rope and a choker. If I need more I have chaines and straps I can reach about 225' hook it up to the jeep and pull away. If I need more a friend has 2 100' wire ropes. As you can tell I dont like to carry or pull any thing.

Latest posts

Back