Hand truck for hauling rounds out of the woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried hand trucks and the 4 wheeled garden carts from TSC and HF. Here's my take on them.

On ground that's fairly flat and fairly even the hand truck does pretty good. I even built a small box and used U bolts to attache it to a 700 lb HF hand cart. I used that for 2 years to bring wood in from my wood pile in the back yard, up to 100 yards away. It worked better when attached to my ATV because I didn't have to pull it by hand LOL. Having said that, on any kind of incline, it could easily tip. Pulling it by had actually allowed me to "feel" when it wanted to tip a lot better. I would put about 8 or 10 pcs of firewood on it, and run a ratchet strap from the axle, under the bottom plate, then up to the top to hold the rounds on before I built the box. My rounds were 24" long and anywhere from 3" to 10" in across with most of them being in the 6~9" range. For shorter rounds, and not as many, it would probably be able to handle the uneven ground a little better. For pulling it through the woods, you might want to get some bigger tires for it. It would be even better if you could put a new, wider axle on it. You could use some old galv pipe for spacers. The nice thing about the hand truck is when you have to go across a small limb, you can pull it up and over pretty easy. I wouldn't give $50 for one to do this with, but then again I only gave $35 for mine when it was new, and I bought it for other purposes.

As far as the 4 wheeled garden carts from TSC, Northern, and HF, I hate them. I bought the 1,000 lb model from HF. Let me first say that it won't hold 1,000 lbs. I bought mine specifically for hauling firewood in from out back. It failed the first time. I put about 800 lbs of firewood on it, and as soon as I turned the wheels to make a turn, the front supports collapsed and I lost the load. I've since bent everything back into place, and welded in extra supports. It works now, but I don't use it much. As far as pulling it by hand, I wouldn't recommend doing that in the woods. The wheels are not big enough to easily go over any obstacles of any size. Unlike a hand truck that you can lift up and over, the cart has to be pulled across. You can lift the front axle a little bit, but not like you can a hand truck, and your out of luck completely on the rear axle. On flat even ground it works okay, but not noticeably better than my hand truck with my box attached to it. All in all it was a waste of $100. I would have been better off putting that $100 towards a small trailer, which is what I ended up getting to use with the ATV.

One thing that I haven't tried yet, but could work is one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Deer-...7DPO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327018448&sr=8-3

The 20" wheels should do well on the un-even ground. I have a cheap one, and I've used it a few times to retrieve deer. It doesn't do well with a deer on and going through standing water in the woods, but then again I don't think anything does either. Other than 6" of mud (that's how far down I sank when standing in it) the deer cart on deer, so I don't see why it wouldn't work well for firewood, and it does collapse down for easier transport. Going over small (under 3") limbs really wasn't a problem. Going over bigger ones, well that's why you have a chainsaw with you right??? :) I have also used mine to haul all my gear (rifle case, scope stand, 18x12x24" tool box, 2 fold up chairs, shooting mat, and a medium size cooler) up and down a 1000 yd firing range at NRA high power matches, and it worked quite nice. If I didn't have the ability to use my ATV for transporting firewood out of places that my truck can't get to, I'd probably be using my deer cart for it.

Hi Bushman:

I made a post about using a sled in another thread. I was gonna buy a cheapie from Walmart for 8 bucks. But the one from D-i-c-k-'s Sporting Goods for $35 seems like just the ticket.

Concerning tongs, Bailey's sells something called a "log claw". It come in 3 different sized. The guys that have them, just luv them.

Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

Here's a video on it.

[video=youtube;gUZbMD7R97E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUZbMD7R97E[/video]

Don <><

Yep! That was where I got my idea. I hate to steal but then again I hate to spend money on things I can make. I took the above pictured "brick"tongs and converted them to log tongs. Of course mine are a little "rough" to say the least but they work on the same concept and will pinch a log from 18" down to 14" which matches my willy nilly cutting style. I just got tired of carrying one at a time, just like OP. I could carry two by picking one up and tucking it under arm or over shoulder then I would have to squat and roll the other up my leg and hold it under my arm. Not fun. With log tongs I can carry two at a time. I changed the flat ends to "teeth ends to grip the log. Can't wait to try it tomorrow even though most will go on the sled. The sled also makes it easy to get your saws, gas, tools and oil to the cut site in one trip.

well since were going crazy with how to get wood from one place to another, why not :laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN7Bsi62JGs

Take that rig and put a splitting machine on it so the grapple picks up the log and feeds it into the splitting machine and then fills the back up full of split wood. Of course the sides would all be expanded metal instead of racking posts.
Wonder what the monthly payment would be on that thing?

I can't be the only one

Take that rig and put a splitting machine on it so the grapple picks up the log and feeds it into the splitting machine and then fills the back up full of split wood. Of course the sides would all be expanded metal instead of racking posts.
Wonder what the monthly payment would be on that thing?

First that big machine..every boy *needs* one! hahaha

Anyway, I can't be the only guy here who wanted to see him use that grabberoonie and try to pick a tree right out of the ground like a dandelion..just for grins...

First that big machine..every boy *needs* one! hahaha

Anyway, I can't be the only guy here who wanted to see him use that grabberoonie and try to pick a tree right out of the ground like a dandelion..just for grins...

They tip over too easily to use on our ground. I prefer this.
[video=youtube_share;qFkx6jbks0k]http://youtu.be/qFkx6jbks0k[/video]

It is a teeny tiny Madill yarder. Going downhill is slow. Gravity is not your friend when downhill yarding.

How about the sled idea with a small or medium sized winch with a wireless remote. Then dont have to exert much energy, can use almost year round, could skid logs or rounds in the sled. Could be used with a wagon too. Throw the rounds in the sled and winch it to the truck ( a mechanical shetland pony of sorts). If you have enough cable the sled could br winched to the cutting spot, or if sit in the sled you could ride the rounds back to the truck.

Last edited:
They tip over too easily to use on our ground. I prefer this.

It is a teeny tiny Madill yarder. Going downhill is slow. Gravity is not your friend when downhill yarding.

Well, that one is cool, too!

Tell ya what I saw a LONG time ago, and I don't know if the company is in business any more or not. It was an offroad small tractor for like small time operations, firewood, farms, etc, wood hauling. Built like what is called a "straddle truck" like you see at warehouses, etc, but for offroad use. About..IIRC..about a three foot ground clearance. You straddled the log, picked it up with a cable, then it drug it out. It was small and cheap, used a small gas engine, like a lawn tractor engine. Built in NH I believe and dang I can't remember the name, but it would move a single or group of logs that was quite impressive for the size of the machine, as it had great traction and balance once the logs were hung up in the air under it. Imagine like a self propelled 4wd log arch, that's what it looked like.

Anyone who has like ancient copies of mother earth news might remember it. I'd like to find out if they are still in business.

I've always wanted one of those, and a Rokon bike, the two slickest alternative design small "tractors" out there, IMO.

Don back in the day I humped rounds threw the woods with a wheelbarrow.

It worked good, the single tire was easy to manueverm and weave on trails plus it was fat enough to bounce over smaller limbs etc.

Just looking at that atachment you posted makes me wince...don't buy it.

Tell ya what I saw a LONG time ago, and I don't know if the company is in business any more or not. It was an offroad small tractor for like small time operations, firewood, farms, etc, wood hauling. Built like what is called a "straddle truck" like you see at warehouses, etc, but for offroad use. About..IIRC..about a three foot ground clearance. You straddled the log, picked it up with a cable, then it drug it out. It was small and cheap, used a small gas engine, like a lawn tractor engine. Built in NH I believe and dang I can't remember the name, but it would move a single or group of logs that was quite impressive for the size of the machine, as it had great traction and balance once the logs were hung up in the air under it. Imagine like a self propelled 4wd log arch, that's what it looked like.

Something like this but on a smaller scale?

Logcarts003.jpg

Logcarts002.jpg

Something like this but on a smaller scale?

Yes, same idea. Smaller, the legs for the wheels were taller in proportion. By itself, just so so traction, add the weight of the log or logs, it dug in and would haul some pretty fair weight, at a super bargain price compared to heavier equipment. That was the idea anyway. Straddle tractor, I spent some time looking for that one, but I saw some like yours from ye olden days.

Both of these were built by the father of a friend of mine. He owned a sawmill and put these together to haul logs out of the woods to the mill. Many times they would stack slabs in front of the deck and pull right up and drop the logs, which were then rolled onto the carriage.

Last edited:
Both of these were built by the father of a friend of mine. He owned a sawmill and put these together to haul logs out of the woods to the mill. Many times they would stack slabs in front of the deck and pull right up and drop the logs, which were then rolled onto the carriage.

those are cool man!

Hey, I found it! It was called the "Quadractor" Here is an enthusiast site for them

Welcome to the Quadractor Resource Page

And here's an old thread from a member here who owned some of them! And might still, who knows.

http://www.arboristsite.com/large-equipment/34127.htm

Last edited:
How about the sled idea with a small or medium sized winch with a wireless remote. Then dont have to exert much energy, can use almost year round, could skid logs or rounds in the sled. Could be used with a wagon too. Throw the rounds in the sled and winch it to the truck ( a mechanical shetland pony of sorts). If you have enough cable the sled could br winched to the cutting spot, or if sit in the sled you could ride the rounds back to the truck.

Now your talking! With so little weight in the sled you could tie a rope to your winching cable and go extra distance. A portable winch with a car battery and you could strap it to a tree.

Had the wood sled in use yesterday. We got fresh snow last night so pulling should be even easier today. For long hauls I'll think I'll wear a deer drag vest.
(trying the pic in post feature instead of the click pic so bear with me if it doesn't work)

View attachment 218774

Now your talking! With so little weight in the sled you could tie a rope to your winching cable and go extra distance. A portable winch with a car battery and you could strap it to a tree.

Ya thats what i was thinking too.. lightweight, easily portable and relatively inexpensive. Strapping it to a tree would make it easier to position for straight pulls as opposed to having the winch mounted to the truck.

Back