I am shocked and amazed!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiggerDiggler

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I long ago admitted I have full-flown CAD in the worst way, so don't even get me started on that........

I have been cutting my year's firewood this week, so far have accumulated 8 cords, which is almost enough. Using some pretty bad-a$$ed saws, the work has gone pretty easy and I found the Lord's own firewood spot, with hundreds of very seasoned downed trees from a windstorm two years ago. I only get the ones that are suspended off the ground. Mostly red fir and about 25 percent buckskin tamarack, which when God created the fireplace on the eighth day, he decreed that Tamarack had the Lord's own blessing. I have a raised bed drop-axle dove-tailed trailer that makes the loading super easy with my heavily-modified Harbor Freight hand cart (chrome moly axle, solid wheel with oversized off-road tires, heavily reinforced and gussetted by the local fabrication shop and can now easily carry 500 pounds plus over rough terrain).

My collection of bad-azzed saws includes brand new Husky 562XP and a 357XP (both sit there on their haunches, intimidating, gleaming, like they want to cut Mike Tyson's ear off), a ported and big bored and very nasty and irate and angry Stihl 066 (it has that look about it like you could saw the lungs out of smoky the bear with it) and a completely stock but minty Stihl 031 Av. An impressive lot they are and are thirsty and hungry to make fast cuts and fill my boots with 1/4 inch square chips.

But you will NEVER, EVER believe what saw I have been impressed with the most, and I am bracing for the outcry and covering my genitals with a phone book to avoid the certain and imminent public castration.

On a whim last year, I started remembering the summer of 1983 when I won a Forest Service contract to clear 1,800 miles of back country and wilderness trails. I had never held a chainsaw in my hands until that point, and the only power shop that would "finance" a chainsaw for a poor and desperate college student had just recieved some of the first Echo Chainsaws that were imported into the United States. I got the 452 and used it all summer long, and traded it in at the end of the year for a 500 EVL (which I never much used). I walked that whole 1,800 miles with that little saw on my back and at the end of that summer, i could go into ANY bar and snap a pool cue in half and jump up on the pool table and scream out "which of you losers think they need to live forever?" Hippies, loggers, cowboys, nobody messed with me (a lot of my nastiness of course was the smell. Nobody wanted to come near).

I was browsing through ebay (which my wife has forbidden me to look at, but has no problem with with the more obvious internet temptations, which she knows I don't have much interest in anyway). To make a long story short, I ordered a brand new in-box CS450P for about 1/2 the price of the Big Box price.

I shunted away the box upon receipt, never even bothered to assemble this humble and unassuming saw until this week, when I mistakingly left the Huskies and Stihls at the firewood camp). Had some difficulties with the chain adjustor (I am clumsier than a cub bear trying to get amorous with a football) and the local dealer fixed it gratis.

I am amazed and shocked! The little thing is lightweight (at least compared to the 066!!) nimble and hungrily buzzes and slices through 3 foot rounds like magic. In fact, I will dare say personally I cannot see much difference, if any, between it and those storied saws mentioned above. It starts MUCH MUCH easier than the Husqs and especially the Stihls and I seem to be able to saw for much longer without tiring.

Okay, start kicking me and screaming and yelling obscenities since I knoweth when I have committed blasphemy in the worst degree and deserve to be banished to a faraway island with only palm trees and coconuts for firewood.

Last edited:
I have no doubt it is a fantastic saw, but you are getting kicked in the nuts from me for saying it cuts like an 066 (BB ported)and 562...saw on. :msp_smile:

Last edited:
I have no doubt it is a fantastic saw, but you are getting kicked in the nuts from me for saying it cuts like an 066 and 562...saw on. :msp_smile:

I am sure it doesn't cut as FAST as the Husqs and the Stihls, but I can cut with it a LOT longer and so I would argue I can cut more firewood without tiring. It is so much easier to start and so much lighter, that any differences in cutting speed (although I remain totally amazed at the cutting speed of this humble saw) are nullified over a long day.

I am sure it doesn't cut as FAST as the Husqs and the Stihls, but I can cut with it a LOT longer and so I would argue I can cut more firewood without tiring. It is so much easier to start and so much lighter, that any differences in cutting speed (although I remain totally amazed at the cutting speed of this humble saw) are nullified over a long day.

I can't argue with that. In fact, I agree with you 100%. The lighter saws take a lot less toll on the body and endurance; and, nowadays the smaller saws do cut like crazy, especially when ported. Saw on

Have you guys ever figured out how much energy it takes to hot-start a ported and BB 066? And how much exertion it takes to lug that big-a$$ed thing to the log? Sure, it cuts and sounds and looks like Satan's own personal saw once you get it started and get it set down on the log, and it is a total evil-doer spitting out giant chips and zooms down through a log like butter, but then you have to lift it up and move it over to the next cut!!!

In fact, I will make it clear: If I ever wanted to take over the trading floor on Wall Street in a terrorist attack, all I would need to do is bring that 066 in there and start it up and that floor would be instantly empty with no collateral damage.

By and large, the Japanese are no slouches when it comes to making quality "things". most any "thing".

I'm not surprised, I'd been indoctrinated into the of its not a Husky or Stihl it's junk mindset. Then I started looking for a top handle saw and wasn't real enthused about how much I'd have to she'll out for a used Husky or Stihl. So I took a chance on a well used echo on fleabay. Between the price of the saw, extra chains, new bar and primer bulb I've got $100 in it. It fires right up, has enough power for lambing and clearing wind blown trees from trails, and I won't cry if its lost or stolen.

There is something to be said for a saw that exceeds your expectations.

you lost me at fill your boots full of chips. I cant believe your pants are inside your boots or your cutting wearing shorts.

cool story.

also thought you might be outwest but we sure don't were our pant legs inside out boots over here ;)

Every saw I own that runs is working on clearing flood debris in Boulder Creek. My friends started calling and calling and calling, so I pulled out an Echo CS4400 that I know hasn't been started in 5 years. I had drained it, run it dry, and fogged the engine.

I fueled it and ripped the recoil 4 times on choke and 1 time off choke and off she went, spittin' and smoking marine fogging oil. These Echos are reliable as heck. I pulled out two old EVL's and a CS670, all of them started. My father loved the old Echos.

I long ago admitted I have full-flown CAD in the worst way, so don't even get me started on that........

I have been cutting my year's firewood this week, so far have accumulated 8 cords, which is almost enough. Using some pretty bad-a$$ed saws, the work has gone pretty easy and I found the Lord's own firewood spot, with hundreds of very seasoned downed trees from a windstorm two years ago. I only get the ones that are suspended off the ground. Mostly red fir and about 25 percent buckskin tamarack, which when God created the fireplace on the eighth day, he decreed that Tamarack had the Lord's own blessing. I have a raised bed drop-axle dove-tailed trailer that makes the loading super easy with my heavily-modified Harbor Freight hand cart (chrome moly axle, solid wheel with oversized off-road tires, heavily reinforced and gussetted by the local fabrication shop and can now easily carry 500 pounds plus over rough terrain).

My collection of bad-azzed saws includes brand new Husky 562XP and a 357XP (both sit there on their haunches, intimidating, gleaming, like they want to cut Mike Tyson's ear off), a ported and big bored and very nasty and irate and angry Stihl 066 (it has that look about it like you could saw the lungs out of smoky the bear with it) and a completely stock but minty Stihl 031 Av. An impressive lot they are and are thirsty and hungry to make fast cuts and fill my boots with 1/4 inch square chips.

But you will NEVER, EVER believe what saw I have been impressed with the most, and I am bracing for the outcry and covering my genitals with a phone book to avoid the certain and imminent public castration.

On a whim last year, I started remembering the summer of 1983 when I won a Forest Service contract to clear 1,800 miles of back country and wilderness trails. I had never held a chainsaw in my hands until that point, and the only power shop that would "finance" a chainsaw for a poor and desperate college student had just recieved some of the first Echo Chainsaws that were imported into the United States. I got the 452 and used it all summer long, and traded it in at the end of the year for a 500 EVL (which I never much used). I walked that whole 1,800 miles with that little saw on my back and at the end of that summer, i could go into ANY bar and snap a pool cue in half and jump up on the pool table and scream out "which of you losers think they need to live forever?" Hippies, loggers, cowboys, nobody messed with me (a lot of my nastiness of course was the smell. Nobody wanted to come near).

I was browsing through ebay (which my wife has forbidden me to look at, but has no problem with with the more obvious internet temptations, which she knows I don't have much interest in anyway). To make a long story short, I ordered a brand new in-box CS450P for about 1/2 the price of the Big Box price.

I shunted away the box upon receipt, never even bothered to assemble this humble and unassuming saw until this week, when I mistakingly left the Huskies and Stihls at the firewood camp). Had some difficulties with the chain adjustor (I am clumsier than a cub bear trying to get amorous with a football) and the local dealer fixed it gratis.

I am amazed and shocked! The little thing is lightweight (at least compared to the 066!!) nimble and hungrily buzzes and slices through 3 foot rounds like magic. In fact, I will dare say personally I cannot see much difference, if any, between it and those storied saws mentioned above. It starts MUCH MUCH easier than the Husqs and especially the Stihls and I seem to be able to saw for much longer without tiring.

Okay, start kicking me and screaming and yelling obscenities since I knoweth when I have committed blasphemy in the worst degree and deserve to be banished to a faraway island with only palm trees and coconuts for firewood.

I can't offer any thoughts on the CS450P, but I really like your writing style, very entertaining :msp_thumbup:. You haven't posted much since you joined, you need to get on the posting ball (or maybe you're just having too much fun actually running your chainsaws!!).

You should contact Mastermind about getting the CS450 ported, something tells me your :) would turn into :msp_love:.

you lost me at fill your boots full of chips. I cant believe your pants are inside your boots or your cutting wearing shorts.

cool story.

also thought you might be outwest but we sure don't were our pant legs inside out boots over here ;)

No shorts and no wearing pant legs outside of boots. A ported and BB 066 covers you in big huge chips like a furry animal and if your shirt isn't buttoned up tightly, and your pants are too loose (which they will get, manhandling that heavy 066 around), your boots quickly fill up from those gaps. That saw is like a wild animal, sparking a veritable blizzard of saw chips. Plus the 066 sounds like a top fueler at idle.

Hell, an angry 066 is the world's fastest weight loss device.

The humble echo, by comparison, has no such theatrics. It just flat tears through wood in an unexciting manner and you can use it for hours (instead of minutes) without exhaustion.

That is what I have found to be the biggest limit on saw performance: Personal Exhaustion. If a saw is too heavy and too unbalanced (I am looking at YOU, Mr. 066), it will blaze through one or two cuts in furious record time, but leave you too tired to go on.

And I have found that heavily-modified Harbor Freight Handcart makes loading the wood so easy that it adds far more in actual processing performance than an expensive port job. (you should have seen the look on the Harbor Freight sales clerk's face when I brought in the fourth mangled and destroyed handcart and the officious manager came out and yelled "That's it, no more warranty for you!)

Last edited:
Still love my wee echo 280E top handle,first saw I owned.Christmas/early HS grad gift 1981.Used to get a lot of use climbing/pruning.Dont do much climbing anymore,but that tough little bastard is still going.

Not as flashy as the newer saws,has no chainbrake or even a handguard (never did) & only 8500 RPMs.

But keep that low profile chisel chain sharp & it just keeps eating through the toughest White Oak or Hickory,just don't quit.:rock:

Long ago, I should have learned a permanent lesson about Japanese Quality. They have earned that reputation. I bought my first Mazda Miata about 8 years ago, and it isn't just the most reliable and dependable sports car I have owned, it is the most reliable and dependable CAR I have ever owned. Period.

I confess that I have some of the same sort of quasi-religious fervor towards Stihls and Huskies that is so widely shared here on this site. Don't get me wrong, they are superb saws and are getting better all the time. It is my opinion that those two sawmakers are probably the finest example of european engineering and manufacturing expertise.

That is why this humble and unassuming echo was so shockingly competent. It was delivered in a box and I never got around to even opening the box for a whole year. My bad.

Back