Handsaw neck injury 12-05-06 Warning, graphic pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there is a more serious deer hunter in existance than me. The doctor and nurse lectured me not to go back and hunt until my neck has had a couple days to heal. I said ok, and winked at my hunting buddy who had to leave his tree to take me to the E.R. When we got back in his truck, I said, let's get back to the woods and hunt. I climbed the exact same tree and hunted the rest of the day. Unfortunately, I did not see any deer that afternoon. I wonder though, if I would have been able to draw my bow.

It's because you left blood on the forest floor. All the deer freaked out and split to other properties.

I showed my wife your open wound. Now I'm gonna tell her you got off the operating table and went back out into the woods. She's aware treeguys are a tougher breed, but YOU, my man, really go beyond. ;)

If you're ever in Indianapolis, look me up. I'll take you to the Brewpub for some eats and drinks.

TreeMachine,

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Indianapolis a lot... I live there (though, hopefully not for too many more years). I recently purchased 41 acres in Owen County and I want to build a log home on it. I'll give you a call some time so I can get my free food and beer :biggrinbounce2: What side of town do you live on? I'm a southsider.

Just read this thread.

Well, .... What are ya doing killing animals in the first place? I wonder what a bullet to the same area would feel like?

Naw..... I understand the whole hunting thing, but I personally can't hurt an animal. :deadhorse:

And many others would agree much the same.

My dad said I come from a long line of 'violators'. From mixing with Grandpa and his friends, growing up, I can see where Pop would think that. I hunted through my teen years as that is just what you do in the country growing up where there are populations of pheasant and deer.

But alas. I have switched 100% over, broke family tradition and the ways of my cave-arborist ancestry. I have thoroughly thrown that instinct into a tailspin. No longer the Hunter, much more the gatherer.

The family lineage has been soiled and I have become a tree hugger.

We, as treeguys, have evolved a really cool survival trick. Our reality is that we can actually live life as though money DOES grow on trees. :biggrinbounce2:

But alas. I have switched 100% over, broke family tradition and the ways of my cave-arborist ancestry. I have thoroughly thrown that instinct into a tailspin. No longer the Hunter, much more the gatherer.

Though he will never be a vegan:spam:

I don't think there is a more serious deer hunter in existance than me.

Now he has the ultimate trump card in hunting stories. Everyone will groan whn he pulls his collar down 25 years from now because they will know what Granpa soldierboy will be winding up to tell. :laugh:

...I have switched 100% over, broke family tradition and the ways of my cave-arborist ancestry. I have thoroughly thrown that instinct into a tailspin. No longer the Hunter, much more the gatherer.

The family lineage has been soiled and I have become a tree hugger.

Interesting presentation of your thoughts.

I, too, hunted as a teenager, and no longer feel the need or the urge to do so. If this lack of need/urge wasn't enough, the fact that I'm no longer willing to prioritize the time required to maintain my shooting skills to the level needed to insure humane one-shot kills would seal the deal.

Nice post, Tree Machine!

Nice post.

Really, at risk of sounding....crazy..... I would rather hunt and kill people. People are generaly as___holes..ya know?? But animals are cool and are pure.

Please do not get offended at the as--holes remark. We, humans all have alittle as-hole in us. :rock:

A piece of lead traveling 900 to 4000 feet per second hitting an animal in the neck wouldn't hurt any more than when I personally pulled a saw through my neck at first. I only felt pain for the first time several hours later. An arrow traveling 200 feet per second would be te same. Another fact is I do not shoot animals in the neck. I shoot them in the heart. They die quickly. Especially if you compare how long they suffer after I shoot one to how long they suffer while starving to death or freezing to death. Have you ever seen video of one animal taking down another anomal and eating it's guts out while the poor little mamal is still alive? I provide the least painful way for a deer or turkey to die and in the process I provide my family and firends with meat and other useful products from the animals I kill. I could provide pages of facts supporting a hunting lifestyle, but I don't have the time and I'm sure most of you don't want to read it all either.

I just posted this thread so some of you guys would get another wake up call reminding you to be extra careful in your line of work (or hobby...interest...). It's very easy to become good at something and then become careless with confidence. That's what happened to me in that tree.

I know none of you really have any idea who I am either. I've only written a few posts on this site. Here is a little information about who I am:
BS degree Ball State School of Business
ACS, FLMI, AIAA, half way through the CPCU and CLU
12 years working in the same industry
Past three years I've owned a restaurant
First deer hunt was not until 1992...that's one year after I graduated from college.
I grew up in the country, but taught myself to hunt after becomming an adult.
I average almost three deer killed each season (this is the third year I failed to kill one since I began hunting)

I know none of you really have any idea who I am either.

Thats the biggest problem on this site (and many others) is no one really knows anyone unless youve met them in person. Please dont take anyones comments personally.

I think you do the world a service with your hunting actions. IMO, 3's not enough.

BTW, have you ever heard of huntingnet.com? Its for hunters of all types.

With all your accomplishments, its nice to meet you.

Hey, Its all good !! I didn't mean to hurt anyone. PEACE.

I read your post and thanks !! I have done the same thing (on a much, much ) smaller scale (knuckles).
Really no need to post your background, thanks but all are welcome here. My hunting comment pushed the thread in a different direction...that happens alot here. Sorry about that.

Anyway. Thanks for your post and handsaw point taken.
Keep in touch!!

Peace.

ps. I love venison stew.

Thanks for posting those photos ,opens eyes makes people think. Most dont till its too late. Ive toldl my climbers on more than one occasion , this could be your last day, your last tree, dont let it be your fault. If ya dont agree I dont wanna hear about it. Glad your ok and thanks again for posting photos.

them pictures gave me the willy's for sure! I can see exactly how it happened too. Of course, it hasnt happened to me but I have tried to toss tree branches that has stuff stuck on them and hit me in the back of the head.

Good thread. I like it. Dont worry much on the anyone who doesnt care much for hunting. This is a tree site so opinions will vary. If it was a different site, someone would be condeming you for hurting a living tree. Having seen a complant about your hurting the tree yet.

So you ever get a deer??

Hey Savage-I thought the "handle" looked familiar. Good to see you found this site too. Danf and I have spent some time in here also.
Thanks for posting what you did, there is always room to learn from someone elses mistakes. If you and Treemachine ever decide on a time and place let Dan and I know -might be a good time for a couple more stories.

Latest posts

Back