Handsaws vs chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
A while back a couple of you were bestowing upon me the virtues of trimming with only your handsaw, and leaving your 200 on the ground.
IME, the climber that trims with mostly his handsaw is also the climber that takes too long in the tree. IMO, the handsaw is for the finishing touches, NOT the complete trim.

I've seen plenty of trees that I've had to trim where I've thought "Ah, a handsaw tree." But, I STHIL allways packed my saw along.

There is no way I would climb w/o my 200. There is also no way I would tie my saw to a central leader to facilitate my climbing ability. I feel naked w/o my muscle clipped to my side.

Any thoughts? :)

If I am at the center part of the tree, and I see that the next limb to be worked on can be handled with a handsaw I see no need to carry the extra weight. I am presently using a Corona 13" pony saw. If and when I get a Silky there will probably be an even less need for the chainsaw. Taking to long is a BS blanket statement. Try getting though a Pin Oak that hasn't been maintained. A chainsaw gets in the way!

Originally posted by Rich Hoffman
Try getting though a Pin Oak that hasn't been maintained. A chainsaw gets in the way!

No, I think the chainsaw gets in YOUR way.

My baby doesn't bother me one bit! :)

a hand what?

i think i saw a guy use one once. i wasn't sure what that thing was hanging from his saddle.

cleaning a pin oak out with a hand saw? wow.....you must have arms like popeye.

There's a time and place for every tool you have. There really is no right or wrong answer for your question. What ever makes a climber efficient in a tree is the way to go. BB

I always say, "I can tell what kind of job a climber is going to do by looking at what he is taking into the tree. If he isn't carrying a handsaw, he is not going to do (what I consider) fine pruning." My handsaw scabbard also has a hand pruner pouch and I carry both. If the branch is less than an inch, I will handsaw it. Branches that small usually vibrate with a chainsaw and makes a sloppy looking cut. Stuff smaller than half inch I will use the hand snips. Another thing I find the handsaw very useful for is to hook your rope if it is too far to reach with your hand. Need to be careful not to snag it. I also use the handsaw to push or guide a branch by applying pressure on it while cutting with the chainsaw. Works great when you don't want your arm reaching over the chainsaw. I use nylon loops for that purpose also. On tight V crotches on bigger branches I will cut almost all the way through with the chainsaw and finish with the handsaw to avoid cutting into the branch I want to save.

I'll smoke ANYBODY trimming with just a handsaw, ESPECIALLY the one that ties/unties, ties/unties his chainsaw as he needs it.

IMO, completing the job in a timely manner is one of the pre-requsites to being an efficient climber. And REMEMBER! This is just friendly banter! :)

I believe a good climber needs both to be efficient. Very rarely do I climb with JUST a handsaw. It is too slow and physically exhausting for the kind of tree work we do here. Most of the trees I do (not including palms) will take at least 2 hours. Many will be all day. These are single trees, not a multiple tree job at a single location. A lot of the trees I do are 30 or more feet in height with canopy spreads of 30 to 100 ft. requiring a lot of rigging. Many trees here will spread as much or more than their height.

I carry all three usually- Felco 2's, Fanno 1311, and my Echo.

I can cut a 1" branch with my Fanno before you can get your chainsaw started.

As for leaving the saw someplace in a tree? Naw. I keep it right with me the whole time. I don't even notice the weight anymore.

Prefer not to use the chainsaw just cuz I like the peace and quiet of hand pruning now and then. Nice break from all those hazard removals that eveyone else has scratched their heads in confusion and walked away from.

Yes, but it seems that efficiency, and ultimately, money are your main motivation. If that is the case, the chainsaw wins. Some are concerned about doing what's right for the tree.

You say you'll smoke anyone climbing with a handsaw. By that, I assume you mean you'll be the first one back on the ground. For many, that doesn't mean you "won". If your side of the tree and the hand-sawers side of the tree were critiqued by a group of arborists, would you still "smoke" 'em?

I find it to be quite liberating to climb without a chainsaw. It's easier to get to the tips of the limbs- chainsaw's always getting snagged on branches, and the weight hanging on my side can throw off my balance every now and then.

Often times, there are branches that you CAN cut faster with a handsaw. Or at least, with less effort. Think about a one inch branch. By the time you get your saw started, I'll already be putting my Silky back in my home-made leg scabbard.

love
nick

Originally posted by NickfromWI
Yes, but it seems that efficiency, and ultimately, money are your main motivation. If that is the case, the chainsaw wins. Some are concerned about doing what's right for the tree.

You say you'll smoke anyone climbing with a handsaw. By that, I assume you mean you'll be the first one back on the ground. For many, that doesn't mean you "won". If your side of the tree and the hand-sawers side of the tree were critiqued by a group of arborists, would you still "smoke" 'em?

I find it to be quite liberating to climb without a chainsaw. It's easier to get to the tips of the limbs- chainsaw's always getting snagged on branches, and the weight hanging on my side can throw off my balance every now and then.

Often times, there are branches that you CAN cut faster with a handsaw. Or at least, with less effort. Think about a one inch branch. By the time you get your saw started, I'll already be putting my Silky back in my home-made leg scabbard.

love
nick

Thank You!!!:)

Originally posted by netree

I can cut a 1" branch with my Fanno before you can get your chainsaw started.

Hey, no arguement there! I would whip out my Fanno and slice that sucker in a second, myself!

My assertion is that handsaws are for the final touches, not the begin all to end all. And if that 1" branch is dead, I'm not gonna dull my handsaw on it.

I leave the saw on the ground until I need it. Then I'll have someone on the ground send it up. Usually it's just to cut a few lower limbs anyways, so it's only for the last few moments in the tree.

I do as much as I can with a handsaw. Some trees, that means nothing, however. It depends on the tree and the climber.

love
nick

Hey Nick, another weird thing that I do is never have a groundhand tie my saw on for me. Ain't I a freak?:)

It's allways seemed easier for me to use the power in my legs to transport the saw vertically. I wear my saw from the ground up, even when body-thrusting.

Part of that comes from when I was trimming high lines through the woods. I never liked getting to the point where I wanted my saw, and had to call(and wait) for a groundie to make his way over to me to tie it on. I also don't like the possibility of fouling my rope once I've pulled up my saw and have to drop it back down again. Oh, and I almost allways climb with my rope coiled at my side. With suspenders, I don't feel diddly! ;)

Back