Handsaws vs chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have about 10 climbers at the company here. All are wearing leg scabard silkys. The hand saw is used for cuts upto about 3"-4" limbs. While climbing we are fighting gravity all day. Lifting up 6 or 7 pounds to make cuts seems to be a waste of valuable energy. I'll send up saws to climbers when ever thay want, But they choose to only use it when the cuts are larger and there are several of them.

I'm with those who leave the 200t tied on the tail on the ground most of the time and have Felcos in the pouch. Firmly believe the stench and hassle of chainsaw only worth it for big cuts. I had an 8" white oak limb ~40' high to get last week--did it with my Corona, didn't think twice about it. I keep arm semirigid and get whole body behind the power of the strokes. No mention of pollution effect on climber--am I the only one with lungs corroded by Ozone and fumes?

What's also missing from this thread is polesaw use. The mechanical efficiency that comes from its extra leverage is vastly underappreciated. If you can telescope the pole to the exact length you need and lean on it right, it can slice through big cuts faster than climbing to them and just as clean.

I once had a sub who used chainsaw on twigs--drove me nuts to see him crawl out and crank it all the time. He was surprisingly efficient, but could not get out in the tips--physically impossible, mb, unless you weigh <90#.

More often these daysI tie the polePRUNER on the tail to finish a tree, and save the chainsaw for trees with lots of tough-wooded cuts. Much of this is preference; best to keep all the tools handy.

Originally posted by Kneejerk Bombas
MasterBlaster, if you come down out of a tree and have ten or fifteen minutes of dragging brush or other ground work to do before you are goin up another tree, do you leave the 200 on your belt while you do it?

Not me, I set it near the next tree.

HA! You a funny, funny man! :D

Originally posted by Kneejerk Bombas
MasterBlaster, if you have ground work to do before you are goin up another tree, do you leave the 200 on your belt while you do it?Not me, I set it near the next tree.

2 good reasons to clip the 200t on the hip:
1. You might need/want to make a cut. Having it with you can save you a stroll, and
2. You won't have it stolen. I set my 200t at the wrong place in Richmond and it grew legs. A $500. saw, probably went for a couple rocks of crack.

kb that WAS realtalk not sarcasm, wasn't it?:p

Like Gypo, I've tried a number of Silky's and completely ditched the top-handle and haven't used one in over a year. I've consistently climbed with 2 Silkys (300 mm folding Gomboy and sheathed Rootsaw has been favorite combo so far) along with a 346xp through that period. Add in a razor-sharp bull lopper and three sections of poles and that's my cutting team up in a multi-hour crown. Sounds like overkill, but the pole stays hung a lot of the time, and you do have the option to sling your saw to a limb, which I rarely choose to do.

I also carry a rack of slings with stainless steel biners, and in the Summer, a 70 oz camelbak is not uncommon. Weightwise, y'know, I just am not bothered that much. It's worth it , just to be fully prepared. The 394 full of gas and oil, now that's getting exceedingly heavy.
IMO, completing the job in a timely manner is one of the pre-requsites to being an efficient climber.

Ditto that. -TM-

Carry around WHAT? Oh yea, that nasty, heavy, cumbersome, "I can't get out to the tip with this on me" 200?

Nah, not really.

Sorry to hear about yur saw, Guy.:( Thieves suck! :angry:

Try tree climbing with a full ALICE pack on, carrying a 16 and about 20# of other assorted goodies & you'll see why 7 pounds is so unnoticable.

Weight schmeight

It's all relative. I used to do a lot of adventure racing. Getting back to tree work after a humping pack and gear for 50 or 80 miles made climbing with excessive weight sort of a non-event. A soldier coming back from Iraq might put the xs weight whiners in the class of super-puss. It's all relative, and even more so, on on the type of tree you'll be going into. -TM-

Never really heard someone brag so much about how ignorant they are.

Hey MB, keep the tough guy talk for beer swilling with your buddies. This is not the place to stroke your ego with talk like - I'll smoke you....

**** !!!! Shut up or put up, we all expect that you will win at least your local TCC if not the international.

Weren't you explaining earlier that you can't foot lock? It doesn't sound like you could smoke much other than some Marlboros or some Winston Menthols.

If you are carrying a fanno, you should really see about getting a better handsaw.

You should also enter a climbing competition asap. I think it would be humbling for you.

What do I carry? Zubat, 020T, ms200, or 044?? Depends on the tree. Same goes for which rope I use, how I enter the tree........

You are a train wreck MB, I try to look away, but can't help looking.

Originally posted by TreeCo
8" white oak limb ~40' high to get last week--did it with my Corona"
streching the use of a hand saw a bit
Yeah it was a stretch. Tho limb was dead, still solid in center. Wished I hadn't forgot to tie chainsaw on tail just in case; my grounddog can't tie a good knot with his paws yet.:eek:
Still, it was eminently doable; a few extra strokes never hurt anybody.

Re train wrecks, I'd rather be that or a loose cannon than conform to what others consider "proper" jsut because they do. mb and I are way far apart on some things--I use felcos in trees more than chainsaw--but give me independence or give me death.:D

Question Authority---Question Conformity!:blob6:

Why do I climb trees?
To make money.
Why do I try to complete the job as quickly as possible?
To make money.
Will I ever climb competitively?
Will it make me money?
Do I love trees?
Yes. They make me money.
Why do I work everyday?
To make money.
Why do I insist on production?
To make money.

Ya see, that Limp Bizquit dude, he did it for the nookie.

I'm doing it for the money. ;)

Originally posted by rbtree
JPS, Thanks for the tip on the Ibuki.

I tried the Ibuki at 1 of the TCIA EXPOS and came to the same conclusion as JPS. A climber in my neck of the woods gives it a thumbs up but only after 1 months use.

I do like the straight blaced Natanoko, tho the handle is a bit floppy. It is better if you need to finish a topping cut and keep the hinge shape. And cuts very well. The blade is sturdier than the Zubat, which I do like the best. I have the Prosenthei, with two tooth patterns. It's great for ultra fine work, but is very fragile.

This is good information to have, thanks Roger. BTW, did I mention I originally bought a Silky based on your recommendaton? It was a great investment for me.

I'd like to find someone local who could put a good edge on dull blades. Of course, the impulse hardening would no longer work. I've had Corona blades sharpened, but they don't hold an edge as long either, and the guy who did them didn't do a good enough job. But $5 each was cheap.

I'd like to try the same thing. I've saved a couple of dull Silky blades in hopes of finding some1 who would be willing to attempt to sharpen them. The manufacturer of the Zubat says no, we should just pitch the dull blades.

I was trained to use a chainsaw in the tree. The handsaw was used for minor pruning work. I guess Guy gave a description of a person who used a chainsaw excessively in the tree. That description also fit me. Investing in a Silky changed my style.

Joe

It's too bad that money is the main motive for doing tree work. It really isn't a well paying industry.
Doing something you love is much more satisfying than just trying to make a buck. Those that do a job because they enjoy it, tend to do a better job and then make more because of it, but are ultimately satisfied by doing a great job.
If all you care about is money, you don't need to work the tips or anything over about thirty feet, where the homeowner can't see. I literally spend about half my workday doing things the homeowner won't ever realize, sanitizing tools, working tips instead of wacking whole limbs, choosing tools that do better cuts but take more work, talking to the customer to make sure limbs need to go, using tree friendly climbing and rigging techniques, and a million other things to do what I think is best for the tree.
If I cut the time I spend on the jobs, would I make more money? I can't say for sure, but I don't really care, because it's not the kind of work I want to do.

I read in a philosophy book that whatever a person needs to feel fulfilled is something that they will NEVER have enough to feel fulfilled.

Give fools thier gold and knaves their power,
Let fortunes bubbles rise and fall,
Who sows a field or trains a flower or plants a tree is more than all.

***John Greenleaf Whittier

Tom

Latest posts

Back