Handsaws vs chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you do this solely to make money?

That is just sad. Maybe it is because I have other more lucrative options but instead opt for a labor of love.

Tree work does not pay as much as I got paid when I was working as an analytical chemist, but it IS more rewarding.

I try to read your train wreck posts about how yer cuttin' trees to be makin' money - but I just can't stand the overwehlming stench of HACK in your posts.

Every save up money for some books?

You need to go climb with a larger circle of climbers - It would be humbling.

If you knew how much you don't know, then you would know something.

Glen Campbell from True Grit, "You have done nothing when you've bested a fool." :rolleyes:

Dang, Treetx, first Mike gets me all blurry-eyed, and now your post gets me all choked-up again!!

I feel so bad now....

Analytical Chemist? Now thats impressive! You must really know what your talking about! Now that I know that I'll really give your posts a more proper filing!

Its good altruism fuels your business ethic! We need more people like you out there! Two thumbs up, my man!

Its really not fair to ellude towards calling me a hack, sight unseen and all. I guess thats all part of your analytical training, again, I'm impressed. Still, and all - Do YOU like being called a hack? :(

Following your philanthropic business principals wouldn't work for me very well, or for any others I dealt with all my life. Invariably its allways about operating a successful business, making money. Yea, I DO like to make money. And climbing trees.

Last edited:
I think you should read some depth into Blaster's words, instead of chewin em up and spittin em out. I's derailing the thread.
I love the timeless feeling when I'm doing all I can in a crown (that a client will never see), and not thinking about the clock. Just me in the tree, me and the tree. Smart, tree-valuing clients sense what you're up to and will trust their trees to your care.
Guy, thank you.

-TM-

I am interested in geofore's question about using simple green to clean saw blades. I recently got my first Silky saw (it rocks!) and am wondering what people use to clean the blade.

Cleaning blades

Alcohol, to sanitize the blade between prunings cleans fine. Use on hand pruners and pole pruner blades. -TM-

Originally posted by rumination
I am interested in geofore's question about using simple green to clean saw blades. I recently got my first Silky saw (it rocks!) and am wondering what people use to clean the blade.

Dish washing liquid.

Joe

Originally posted by MasterBlaster

Analytical Chemist? Now thats impressive!

Do YOU like being called a hack? :(

Yes, it is - thanks.

No, I don't but it happens all the time because I run a small company, don't have $80,000 of truck and chipper, but yet still land good properties.

I make that comment in response to you resisting the truth that there ARE a better ways out there when it comes to climbing techniques.

All here have more to learn. :rolleyes:

Hacks are stubborn and don't want to learn - that is where the reference came from.

Search around on this site and others, try new stuff in evenings and weekends - apply them to your work. That beats bragging about old techniques and unsafe practices
;)

But back to handsaws, a squirt of carb cleaner or even WD-40 will work. Lots of stuff will cut the tree sap.
:rolleyes:

Today I ordered a Big Shot, 10oz bullet bag with red Zing-It, and a Zubat.
I STHIL ain't gonna dull it on the big dead! :)

I'm torn between the Ness and the Glide. I like the padding of the Ness, but the attachment design of the Glide appears more to my liking. Maybe I'll order both, they all are gonna wear out anyway.

I'll NEVER wear a buttstrap saddle again. A quarter-century of getting my arse crunched has come to an end. OOOH-RAH!!!

Last edited:
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
A quarter-century of getting my arse crunched has come to an end. OOOH-RAH!!!

It wasn't my arse getting crunched that bothered me about the buttstrap.:eek:

Sounds like some great investments. Hope you don't get in trouble seeing what all you can shoot with the Bigshot:rolleyes:

You can put eggs into orbit I hear:rolleyes:

Sounds like fun!

I'd strongly recommend against the Navaho. The attatchment point doesn't work for tree climbing, it's very hard to get off-vertical when in it. Mine is the designated saddle for my friends while rec climbing. Not all that comfortable either.

WHOA! I posted the WRONG SADDLE!!

I meant the NESS! I edited my post....

I KNOW the Navajo sucks! I done bought that sucker, and sent it back!

Sorry! :rolleyes:

Hey, concerning that Big Shot, how important is it to have that $45 release snap? I didn't order that.

Do ya'll think the 10oz bag will do me?

Ok, I'll bite - don't get the snap there are cheap alternatives. I have seen hardware store clips, etc. Wichard:confused:

I set mine up with an old archery release I had laying around.

Use a prussik/klemheist to make adjustable.

I use a 10/12/14 oz

Mainly the 12

So 10oz is a little too light? I only picked that because I thought the Big Shot worked best with a lighter bag. I have a 14oz that I normally use.

Thanks, guys. I'm gonna have fun(I hope) learning how to use it!:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do ya'll think the 10oz bag will do me?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe if you talk to it nice...?

Or buy it enough drinks
:p

The 10 is cool, you'll find it handy. I use mine a lot but it is worthless on rough barked trees like pecans:(

In the real world of throw lining, one successful shot that won't come down cause the ball was too light is a real angrifier.

I have 10 (rarely used) 12, 14 and 16. The 12 and 14 are ok with 2.2 Zing-it, but not always. I can hand toss the 16oz 50-60 feet and 70-80 with the BS, add 10 feet to that as the ball weight drops 2 oz. And 10 feet or so for the 1.75 oz ZI.

Rough bark, obstructions like fir twig duff etc, can really screw things up.

I'm with RB. Lighter shot bags have been an infuriator enough times that I use a 16 oz bendy bag on my #1 reel and a 12oz bullet bag on #2. I've found more advantages in using the heftier shotbags that all the lighter ones, and the stiffies (6) just hang there and do nothing.

Tracing the shot bag back through, I find more enjoyable than the shot itself. To have really good control, weight is good. JP suggested shooting a light bag, letting it drop, changing bags to a fatter weight, then pulling it back up to trace it down. I can see the merit, but personally, I try to cut steps out of a process, not add to them unless there's some bigger benefit .

Although there are many techniques to using the mighty bigshot, I've become impressively accurate and swift and will share what I've got. Pull with index and middle finger, ungloved. Put your wondergloves back on to pull line. Sorry, about the diversion. This thread is about handsaws vs chainsaws. -TM-

Well. I've had my Zubat for a couple of weeks now and all I have to say is my 200 ain't leaving my side anytime soon.

Now I have to wait to see if the blade stays sharper longer than my regular blade. :(

It DOES make a different sound as it cuts through the wood. I hope thats a sign of superior steel. I've already been introduced to the superior price!
;)

Back