Happy May Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samlock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Happy May Day to you all.

1st of May, called Vappu, is a BIG fiesta here. Vappu opens 30th of April traditionally with baptism of the University freshmen, studying in the faculty of forestry. The foresters to be are forced to take a walk on a floating log. Here's a picture of today's initiation.

IMG_4591.JPG

Before you get all excited about the blond, I must tell you that's a guy wearing a wig and a dress.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Looks cold.

I guess I could go to Portland, Oregon tomorrow and march in a parade that will possibly turn into a riot and get thrown in jail or teargassed.

No, I think I'll stay home and enjoy the rain.

The Finlander celebration looks like a lot more fun than the Portland May Day. Perhaps we could trade?:)

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Looks cold.

I guess I could go to Portland, Oregon tomorrow and march in a parade that will possibly turn into a riot and get thrown in jail or teargassed.

No, I think I'll stay home and enjoy the rain.

The Finlander celebration looks like a lot more fun than the Portland May Day. Perhaps we could trade?:)

I suppose the water temperature is around 32F, but the senior students are very loving and caring and keeping them freshmen saturated with anti-freezers.

There will be marching today, I'm heading that way within half an hour. No riots expected, though. I guess it's a northern thing. This is the end of long winter and beginning of the arctic hysteria season. Nobody wants to fight right now. Lots of weird ceremonies and traditions which are hard to explain. The merriest day of the year for many people.

It must be the Scandihoovian blood in me, but I feel a need to get a bonfire going. I do have some slash that needs burning.:msp_smile:

Well, that's the spirit. Also if you feel a need, while burning the fire, make some loud noises (blow horn, drums, gun fire), go ahead. That will keep the evil spirits (and neighbors) away for a while.

Yes. Here too and no special occasion needed.

Are Schnapps sipped or gulped for such an event?

In John's neighborhood?
no no, it's not Schnapps, it's rubbing alcohol filtered through a loaf of bread :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

While the rest of you celebrated May Day in California we celebrated International Workers' Day with, what else, protests. The local fishwrapper claimed "dozens" of protesters occupied UCSC. The protesters said there were too few protesters but many more would have showed up but they are suffering from post-Occupy apathy. Whoopee.

Back