Harbor Freight Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone ever use the harbor freight chain grinder. Their mailer just showed up today, and it has the grinder for 39.95. Right now i am just sharpening by hand with a file. Any suggestions?

I got one and use it for rocked or REALLY damaged chains only, then finish on my MAXX grinder. Saves wear and tear on the MAXX wheel. Lots of post about this though, do a search on HF or Harbor Freight AND grinder. It's just not a quality grinder, simple as that, but you sure can't beat the price.

Woodshop;
I see that you have the Maxx grinder. I have Nick the grinder and I'm sattified with it, but I have never used another grinder so I don't have anything to compare it to. I was thinking of trying the Maxx because from what i have read it seems like a good deal. Would you buy it again if your's whent bad on you. Thanks for anything you can tell me about. Jim

Jim Shockey said:
Woodshop;
I see that you have the Maxx grinder. I have Nick the grinder and I'm sattified with it, but I have never used another grinder so I don't have anything to compare it to. I was thinking of trying the Maxx because from what i have read it seems like a good deal. Would you buy it again if your's whent bad on you. Thanks for anything you can tell me about. Jim
Can't say enough good things about my MAXX grinder. It's easy to use and set up. Learning curve was very short. After only 20 minutes of putzing around when I first bought it, I was grinding perfect chains. I would buy another in a heartbeat. However, let it be known that I have not used any other grinder other than my HF, which again was only used for rocked chain. Do a search over in the chainsaw forum on MAXX and other grinders, and you will see lots of opinions from guys that have used many different types, and thus their opinions would carry more weight.

OK,
Thanks for the info. I read that past threads as suggested. I think I'll just stick to a plain old file for now. If I hit metal i'll take it to be sharpened.
Thanks,
Brian (00juice)

Many years ago i had a friend who had a HF grinder and also a Oregon grinder... I was in the market for a grinder and he told me not to waste my money on the HF grinder and get a better one. His biggest complaint of the HF grinder was it flexed too much.

I took his advise and ended up with an Oregon grinder... It's been a decent grinder and i'm now glad i spent a bit more and got something better...

Rob

If anyone is interested I have one that is less than six months old and only used on a couple rocked out chains. nothing wrong with it, just needed another grinder to take care of my race chain needs. The wheel on this one still looks new. 20 bucks plus shipping gets it

If anyone is interested I have one that is less than six months old and only used on a couple rocked out chains. nothing wrong with it, just needed another grinder to take care of my race chain needs. The wheel on this one still looks new. 20 bucks plus shipping gets it

I'll give you $5.00 Steve.....

I'll give you $5.00 Steve.....

25 for you, 20 for anybody else... :laugh:

I paid 49.99 for it..... It works well for what it is designed for...moderate use. I would not recommend it for someone that grinds a couple chains a day.....every day.

Latest posts

Back