harbor freight log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They match prices, and give me 10% off that. Menards is the only other option up north and they're utter weak-sauce in comparison.

I am amused in threads regarding gasoline motor run implements such as splitters. Many people's eyes glaze over and they look to the heavens as something sent from God when it has a HONDA motor.

Well there is a huge difference between the GX and GC motors. The GX are excellent, the GC aren't any better than other cheap motors. Many including myself poo poo Briggs/Stratton. I've have had excellent service out of them. In the cold climates a real choke rather than a primer only is vastly superior. The B/S 1450 on my Speeco 28 ton has a 5 position choke and generally starts on the first pull.

Byron or anyone else who got this splitter...any feedback on it?

I've never had a splitter before, just doing it by hand. HF has this for $699 now and with the 25% off coupon I have it's down to $524.

Feeling like pulling the trigger but still can't find any reviews other than 1 on their page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spend the extra 100.00 on a splitter made in the usa instead of one being made in a sweatshop across the pond.

Byron or anyone else who got this splitter...any feedback on it?

I've never had a splitter before, just doing it by hand. HF has this for $699 now and with the 25% off coupon I have it's down to $524.

Feeling like pulling the trigger but still can't find any reviews other than 1 on their page.

Be sure and read the fine print on the 25% off coupon, they have added several exclusions in the fine print. I thought I had found a good deal on a floor jack, the checker read the exclusions, almost need a magnifying glass to read.

Thanks I'll do that. I have it in my cart ready to checkout without the discount applied. Total before shipping is $524.99

I ordered it this morning so I'll let you guys know how it holds up. I'll be using it a lot over the next few months so I'll post updates as I go.

The only thing that sucks more than the quality of anything sold by HF....Is there customer service and lack of replacement parts. I cannot imagine you thought this thru before buying from them. Why dont you try calling to order a part. . . Total nightmare

vemu8eqe.jpg
The only thing that sucks more than the quality of anything sold by HF....Is there customer service and lack of replacement parts. I cannot imagine you thought this thru before buying from them. Why dont you try calling to order a part. . . Total nightmare
I don't see as big deal. I replaced / upgraded just about everything on this Craftsman / didier splitter from the early 70's with parts from ebay, TSC, Northern Tool.

View attachment 353805
I don't see as big deal. I replaced / upgraded just about everything on this Craftsman / didier splitter from the early 70's with parts from ebay, TSC, Northern Tool.
I don't understand the purpose of your post? Were.you looking for some kind of goverment metal or award? I have an old bowling trophy i could UPS to you if that will make you feel something. . . LoL

I don't understand the purpose of your post? Were.you looking for some kind of goverment metal or award? I have an old bowling trophy i could UPS to you if that will make you feel something. . . LoL
It was in response to this thread

You can get replacement parts anywhere for log splitters!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've bought several tools and smaller things from them but never any power equipment. Seems they are all built relatively the same so even if I have to replace something on it I should be able to mix/match parts. For $500 I don't see how it could be that bad, even if it's just a base to build off of later. I guess I'll see :p

I am amused in threads regarding gasoline motor run implements such as splitters. Many people's eyes glaze over and they look to the heavens as something sent from God when it has a HONDA motor.

Well there is a huge difference between the GX and GC motors. The GX are excellent, the GC aren't any better than other cheap motors. Many including myself poo poo Briggs/Stratton. I've have had excellent service out of them. In the cold climates a real choke rather than a primer only is vastly superior. The B/S 1450 on my Speeco 28 ton has a 5 position choke and generally starts on the first pull.

As you say,many folks rag big time on B&S small engines.I'm not one.I've got 6 of them around here and gotten very good service from all.I did have one bad one years ago.I gave it to a friend who was a small engine mech.He'd given me several parts to try to fix it, nothing worked.He worked on it off and on for a month and eventually carted it off to the scrap yard.Another one that took a dump after 12 years of HARD use(5 HP) on which the block broke where the intake bolted to it.

Latest posts

Back