hard hat question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old "Mac T" tin hats (both 4-point and 6-point) are no longer legal according to ANSI certifications. The current "Skull Bucket" tin hats are OK, so long as their manufacture date, stamped on the brim, is less than 5 years ago. Likewise, plastic hats expire in 5 years.

Skull buckets are pieces of ####tt. Please believe me when I say this. That extra piece of tin does nothing more than turn into a sharp edge to aid in splitting scalps... The plastic hats are safer even though I much prefer a tin hat.
What's a bullard look like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all you that shared some knowledge with me. That's why I like reading on this site everyday

It is the suspension that protects you from impact, and it is designed to fail. It is also why they don't like stuffing packs of cigarettes up there.

Metal hats can be made if the manufacturers get them to pass the tests. There are different sub categories for electrical protection, which they would not be good for. You guys might also like the Kevlar versions (but not the price). I have seen plastic full brim helmets for under $10 and construction style head hats on sale for under $5.

That 5 year is advisory - though some may enforce it differently. It is supposed to be 5 years after put into full time service (due to UV effects) not date of manufacture (which is easier to check). 3M now makes helmets with UV indicators on them for this reason.

Philbert

The plastic on my over the hill hat is still flexible, but it is out of date. I think the 5 year limit was decided in a place where the sun shines.
Let's see if the Bullard is still invisible.

Yes, it still is. Oh well, it is a big, heavy, orange with teal tree marking paint on it, dirty suspensioned, full brim hard hat. Not a helmet, a hard hat.

I also heard the sweatbands on the Bullard if not taken out will give you a rash or something like that. Anyone have any light to shed on that? I'm just beatin the skullbucket. Yeah mac Ts are nicer but I haven't ran across one yet. Wait a min the old man may have a mac t in the shop. I'm checking over christmas! lol

I have a brand new skullbucket sitting in the house for when the old one is declared illegal or some such nonsense. My buddy's girlfriend gave him her grandpas old mac t. Great shape and still had his bushel written on it.

I got a new sweatband a couple of years ago for my Bullard fire helmet and it made things way more comfy. I wish I knew the brand but it was in the shop and who knows where it came from or when. I can confirm that the stock sweatband is crappy and uncomfortable but I have yet to see or experience an actual rash.

No rash after 5 years of wearing the old Bullard style without the knob. The difficult click style stayed on through quite a few acrobatics. The knob style did not and I got a bloody nose from tripping, hat flying off, and faceplanting ONTO hardhat. Nobody was around to see this dangerous maneuver.

A buddy of mine made a new suspension out of some flat nylon webbing and an old belt (the type that holds your holster). It works very well.

The hard part with the 6-point suspensions is finding the clips that hold it to the hard hat. I looked for two weeks on the internet for a set one time with no luck. If you have the clips all you need is to make a new suspension.

The husky combo helmet locks on nice with the ear muffs folded down over your ears. Stays in place well. Ya, doesn't look like a doughboy hat, but it is a comfy helmet. It is the *only* set of muffs I ever tried that fit over my eyeglasses and didn't pinch, and the sound deadening is nice, blocks saw sound, but regular conversational tones come through pretty good.

Its all personal, but I just can't get used to having all that stuff attached to my head. That shield in front of my face drives me bonkers. Give a hard hat and $5 pair of safety glasses and some rubber ear plugs. I like the rubber ear plugs because I can still hear when things are going wrong. The foam plugs and ear muffs block too much sound. This is not any criticism of any thing you said zogger, it just my 2/100 of a dollar (and worth every penny).

Its all personal, but I just can't get used to having all that stuff attached to my head. That shield in front of my face drives me bonkers. Give a hard hat and $5 pair of safety glasses and some rubber ear plugs. I like the rubber ear plugs because I can still hear when things are going wrong. The foam plugs and ear muffs block too much sound. This is not any criticism of any thing you said zogger, it just my 2/100 of a dollar (and worth every penny).

It took me a grand total of one time to get used to it when I got nailed with an unseen spring branch in the kisser.

I think it is like chaps, guys say they are uncomfortable and can't stand them until that rrip to the emergency room and thousand$ later..they get used to it. Safety boots, etc, same deal. To each their own, I tend to like the modern designs over the older, better ergo and better protection, IMO.

Caulks..I don't have to walk huge logs a lot, but I can def see where they come in handy if you had to daily, after a few slips on wet logs before.

As to the earmuffs versus foam plugs, etc, I have tried a variety for both engine running and target shooting, these are the best as per performance and most comfortable I have used, especially over my prescription lenses/glasses, which are factory safety glasses to begin with.

I wear my oil saturated chaps, but I definitely need to find an alternative (like the jeans with chap pads inside). I can't tell you how many times I've been snagged up solid in brush by the straps on my chaps. Or have had to high-step over some obstacle and gotten the side lugs on my boots snagged on the edge of my chaps. I am afraid that one day I am going to have to run for my life, but will be hung up by my safety gear.

Has anyone tried the Labonville pants/chaps? They don't make my size, but I'm still curious.

I wear my oil saturated chaps, but I definitely need to find an alternative (like the jeans with chap pads inside). I can't tell you how many times I've been snagged up solid in brush by the straps on my chaps. Or have had to high-step over some obstacle and gotten the side lugs on my boots snagged on the edge of my chaps. I am afraid that one day I am going to have to run for my life, but will be hung up by my safety gear.

Has anyone tried the Labonville pants/chaps? They don't make my size, but I'm still curious.

Well, I'll chime in again, I went with the husky full pants over chaps. I didn't like the idea of those snags like you put it. Went over 3 decades without much in the way of PPE, decided to quit wqhile I was ahead and go get the whole rig and be done with it at once.. I am wearing pants anyway when I go out to cut..so I ordered the cuttin'pants. I wear boots..so I got the cuttin' boots.

Ya, it can get hot in the summer..I just deal with it, same as you have to deal with cold, etc. If I lived in el norte and was cuttin, most likely look for heated handle saws. I remember way way back when I lived up north wishing for heated handles..down here, never gets all that bad. Single digits is extremely cold for here, teens and 20s is more like it in the winter, ie, not that bad at all.

I have, the green summer type atleast, haven't tried the winter variation. So far they've been durable and comfortable. Had to buy a size up though as I thought they ran small. Pads are held in by 2 snaps and then through a sleeve at knee level, not all too snug which leads me to believe they would just be pulled aside by a moving chain. I don't like chaps either. Or visors, face shields, and ear muffs. I wear a tin hat and ear plugs and every now and then safety glasses

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I have, the green summer type atleast, haven't tried the winter variation. So far they've been durable and comfortable. Had to buy a size up though as I thought they ran small. Pads are held in by 2 snaps and then through a sleeve at knee level, not all too snug which leads me to believe they would just be pulled aside by a moving chain. I don't like chaps either. Or visors, face shields, and ear muffs. I wear a tin hat and ear plugs and every now and then safety glasses

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't like any of the combo helmets I've tried out. I prefer a fibre metal hard hat with some glasses and ear plugs. I have some of the Mac T hats also and wear them some.

Back