hard time finding the right piston husky55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
having a hard time finding the right piston for this saw.

IMG_4153.JPG

the one that was in it was a open sided piston about 44.9mm the meteons i see for a 55 are 46mm. i tried ordering a 44.9 for a 51 thinking someone might have swapped the PC but the one i got 1664B has closed sides.
IMG_4150.JPG

here i a pick of the cylinder

IMG_4159.JPG

can i use the new meteon PC 1664B in this jug or do i need to find a piston with open sides.
any one know what the deal is ? can i modify the piston or jug to make it work?
thanks sam

Last edited:
thanks Brad

now that im headed in the right direction, it looks to me like i can cut the sides down to about 39mm and still have the dinton for the clips, then cut out the sides leving some bridging material at 4 - 8 an 12 o-clock.
IMG_4165.JPG

than how about opining up the cylinder wall from base skirt to bottom of lower port to get another 3.5mm of air clearance.
IMG_4163.JPG

worth a try A?

thanks for the input Polkat
how much did you window the piston. and did you flatten the sides of the piston out?

I did not bring the sides of the piston up. I would want to leave more meat than what you have pictured. I made simple windows about 1/4" wide and the same height as the factory piston windows. I wouldn't get greedy and risk a piston failure.

Take pics of and post pics of your piston work...please! Original piston beside the stock 51 piston before and after mods.

thanks for the input
Brad how about hogging out the cyl under the bottom ports some.

FireFW will post pics. hopefully there wont be any need to post any what not to do pics after i run it.

IMG_4169.JPG

Checked meteor's catalog and they list pistons for the Husky 51 and 55. There also may be something in the Stihl, Echo or Shindaiwa aftermarket that you could substitute. Bore 45mm. Wrist pin size looks to be 10mm.

Looking at Husky 353 in the Meteor catalog and it looks like 45mm with a 10mm pin and the same compression height (from center of wrist pin to crown) as the 51 or 55.

http://www.meteorpiston.com/Lists/G...c&View={CE32560A-49BF-47F8-9CFA-E52252EADD4C}

http://www.hlsproparts.com/Echo-CS-5100-piston-assembly-p/h31511.htm

You can use the piston you ordered. I would not cut windows in the piston. Open the bottom of the cylinder like you have marked. Use a base gasket and trace out the opening to open the lower transfers to match the case. Make sure to install new impulse nipple. Put it together and run it. I bet you will be happy with the way it runs. I just did this and ran the saw right beside the same saw with factory piston. I am pleased.

20131230_163734_zpssmpc1ey7.jpg

Are you sure bout that?
It may run pretty good as the open port cylinders do pretty darn good. But by removing all the material between the lower and upper transfers so that the charge flows around the piston instead of thru it.... you made an open port cylinder. From the looks of the picture, the upper transfer is almost as wide as the piston skirt and the lower is smaller making the charge flow at a little higher velocity. Same thing can be done on an open port cylinder by widening the upper transfer area and actually makes a really good running saw.

I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back