Has anyone rebuilt mcculloch 10 series before ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newlogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
my mcculloch super 2-10 automatic start loosing compression, and planning to rebuild, if somone here has done before, let me know.

while disassembling, I found that mine has cast iron cylinder liner , instead of chrome plated aluminum. I need oversized pistons and rings, and need to know the crealance ( between ring and cylinder )

Also does anyone know how to change the piston ? I looked and looked, and haven't find any kind of clips holding the wrist pins.

another thing, I noticed that the cylinder is JUG type, here comes to the fun part, '' HOW to install the pistons ?????? there is NO ROOM for ring compressor. DID THEY USE ANY SPECIAL TOOL ??????? "

my mcculloch super 2-10 automatic start loosing compression, and planning to rebuild, if somone here has done before, let me know.

while disassembling, I found that mine has cast iron cylinder liner , instead of chrome plated aluminum. I need oversized pistons and rings, and need to know the crealance ( between ring and cylinder )

Also does anyone know how to change the piston ? I looked and looked, and haven't find any kind of clips holding the wrist pins.

another thing, I noticed that the cylinder is JUG type, here comes to the fun part, '' HOW to install the pistons ?????? there is NO ROOM for ring compressor. DID THEY USE ANY SPECIAL TOOL ??????? "

Hello and welcome.

Do you have an IPL (Illustrated Parts List) for your saw? I have one for the 2-10, and will forward it on to you if you so require.

PM sent.

Regards,

Chris.

I dont know how similar your block is to a 10-10 block, but I had taken my PM10-10S down for seals, and I cut a piece out of an old 2 liter coke bottle and used that to compress the rings. Hope this helps a little!

re

well, I have parts list but it does not specify the technical data, so it will not help me a lot. what I need is the '' shop manual '' if there is such thing. There were many Mcculloch dealer back in the days, so I assume they made the manual for dealers.

well, I have parts list but it does not specify the technical data, so it will not help me a lot. what I need is the '' shop manual '' if there is such thing. There were many Mcculloch dealer back in the days, so I assume they made the manual for dealers.

Your parts list will indeed be of big help when you start searching for rings, a piston, seals, and gaskets. Go to the 'beg for manuals' thread and ask for a service manual for your 2-10. I asked for a service manual for my PM 10-10 in that thread recently, and quickly received one.:D

Measure your piston and cylinder, you may not need to bore it oversize and replace the piston, just put a new set of rings in it. No special tools are required to install the piston, there is a generous chamfer leading in to the cylinder and it's pretty easy to work the rings in with your finger tips.

The wrist pin is pressed in, you will need to press the old pin and bearings out if you need to replace the piston, must use new bearings going back together.

There are copies of the 10 Series work shop manual out there, if you get in a bind PM me with your e-mail and I can send a copy of a copy.

Mark

Back