Has it really become that...er unfashionable to use a polesaw in a tree??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I still use a polesaw in a tree all the time, whether it be for pruning or takedowns (moving ropes around).

I understand the whole "working the tips" thing - which I still do, whether it be climbing or from a good angle with the pole. I just cant see how you are supposed to get 10'- 15' above a safe TIP to cut deadwood without a polesaw?

Am I just becoming a dinosaur??

It is a tool, some use it more then others.

IMO some younger guys have ego getting in their way when they say a polesaw is a crutch.

For me it is often easier to climb for the cuts then drag the saw around the canopy with me. I may have it sent up from time to time for an isolated cut. It is only on huge spreading trees that i will use them, or my few clients that want a lot of 1/4' fine pruning.

It is a tool, some use it more then others.

IMO some younger guys have ego getting in their way when they say a polesaw is a crutch.

For me it is often easier to climb for the cuts then drag the saw around the canopy with me. I may have it sent up from time to time for an isolated cut. It is only on huge spreading trees that i will use them, or my few clients that want a lot of 1/4' fine pruning.

Very good points John. Whenever I prune its usually a fine prune, sinse I sold the job I usually give em the old "while I'm up there, might as well do it right" line - which I think is true.

I hear you on the younger guys with the ego thing, I've run into that before.

Maybe its different when you have been using one long enough to get pretty damn accurate with it.

And yes I was thinking of large spreading canopies when I posted this. The last fine pruning I did was Red Oak trees about 80' or 90' with spreading canopies, I was tied into the top and then out at the ends again, with a 150' line and the climbing line was still like 30' from where the groundman could reach it. Sometimes on trees like that I'll work the ends with one 6' section and leave two more tied midline with a clove, just in case I get out there and cant reach an annoying piece of deadwood.

Initially it was more a turn off because of abusers that find a spot to sit near the stem and proceed to work everything they can reach which usually results in bad angle heading cuts, tears, slices and stubs.

It's a good tool to have on the truck and although I used to rule it out entirely, there are circumstances more and more where it can save me from some really uncomfortable and risky spots. Especially in topped trees or structurally weak wide canopies.

turn it around backwards take the rubber stopper off run about five ft. of rope in it then turn it around the other other way and pull the pruner head rope real hard.... it should shoot right out just like a shot anywhere from ten to 20 ft. pretty darn accurate too. i think Jamison's work best.

i use mine all the time.

I still use a polesaw in a tree all the time, whether it be for pruning or takedowns (moving ropes around).

I understand the whole "working the tips" thing - which I still do, whether it be climbing or from a good angle with the pole. I just cant see how you are supposed to get 10'- 15' above a safe TIP to cut deadwood without a polesaw?

Am I just becoming a dinosaur??

from moving the rope to cutting.best thing i learned when i worked with you.

yeah,it works awesome!

turn it around backwards take the rubber stopper off run about five ft. of rope in it then turn it around the other other way and pull the pruner head rope real hard.... it should shoot right out just like a shot anywhere from ten to 20 ft. pretty darn accurate too. i think Jamison's work best.

Jameson with the sectional poles works best.

Pole saws

I use a pole saw all the time. Either a wooden or a sectional fiberglass one. I use it for advancing my line, setting ropes, making cuts, snagging rigging lines etc etc. a very useful tool.... Mike

Small trees a 7-14' telescoping pole clipped to my hip, big trees 21' silky.

attached was in june 2008 arborist news. this is a popular topic--doing two talks on it here: http://www.mahsc.org/sub/workshops/index.htm

Thanks seer, I thought I was losing it there for awhile, lol.

That setup sounds slick, I will surely take your word for it, makes sense.

How do you advance your rope without a polesaw?

I'm going to assume you're not being sarcastic...

Attach a shot pouch to your termination and toss for big spans in unions, runner loops for footholds and choking SRT to a grigri/ID for bigger spans between unions, pole pruner with extensions for monster spans between unions or stem transfers, etc. Ultimately you take the time to be picky from the ground with the throwline and get yourself above the big gaps into climbing territory.

I'm going to assume you're not being sarcastic...

Attach a shot pouch to your termination and toss for big spans in unions, runner loops for footholds and choking SRT to a grigri/ID for bigger spans between unions, pole pruner with extensions for monster spans between unions or stem transfers, etc. Ultimately you take the time to be picky from the ground with the throwline and get yourself above the big gaps into climbing territory.

No. I wasn't being sarcastic. I climb old school. I use a ladder to get into the tree and use a 12' wooden polesaw to advance my rope. Simple and effective. I'm not a big fan of throwballs and shot bags.

pole saws are just another tool.... if it makes the job easier/safer... I'll use it.

it's invaluable for storm work. extends distance from spring loaded tree to you. sometimes safest way to release said tension is with a sthil power polesaw.

Most of my jobs are takedowns and are usually in very tight places with zero fall zone. That means I need to take the trees out limb by limb. A pole saw has always been my best tool for taking the tree apart while in it. 21' aluminum Silky. Took down a tree two weeks ago, mostly dead, between two buildings not more that twenty feet apart, power lines and phones lines half way up and through the canopy and fences on the ground below. Took the tree apart with the pole saw mostly and not one scratch anywhere. there was even a skylight below me!. Without the pole saw allowing me to tak it apart, I don't know how it would have come down any cleaner. :greenchainsaw:

No. I wasn't being sarcastic. I climb old school. I use a ladder to get into the tree and use a 12' wooden polesaw to advance my rope. Simple and effective. I'm not a big fan of throwballs and shot bags.

Do you wrap the tail of your rope around the snap, coil about twenty feet of your rope, and throw it to the next crotch? Do you always use a polesaw to advance your rope?

i have mastered the pole saw i think if u dont ever use one its cause u stink with it and its more hassle than its worth. its like anything else it takes time and requires much skill. imo pole saws rock and should be in every treemans bag. our truck has almost one or two of every kind. sawz,clips. big, small,wood,fiber,allum. imo if u dont have or use a pole u are mostlikely a hook pruning closed minded knowitall. :buttkick: dead wood dont stand a chance with my trusty wood pole!! its a great tool and there are a few good tricks to be learned. im not normally using them on removals and i never use the 21ft silky in the tree. why chase dead when u can stick the pole to it? i find myself using the wood pole with the permanent aluminum hook with the hook blade. i hate the extension poles and only use them when clearing wires and or pole clipping.

Last edited:
Do you wrap the tail of your rope around the snap, coil about twenty feet of your rope, and throw it to the next crotch? Do you always use a polesaw to advance your rope?

I almost always advance my rope with a 12' polesaw, between my 8' reach and the pole I can cover 98% of the spans I find in trees. I will throw a monkeys fist if I'm transfering into another leader where I can't reach, or sometimes to set a bullrope. I just think using the pole is faster, also very often their are branches, suckers, etc. in the way that prevent being able to efficiently and quickly throw a bag or monkeysfist.

Latest posts

Back