Has it really become that...er unfashionable to use a polesaw in a tree??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pole saws are useful in a multitude of ways. Apart from all the obvious uses there are times when it proves invaluable. For example just before Christmas working at a reasonable height I'd coiled my rope to make a double crotch point, and it got wedged between a small branch and a limb. While I was a bit slight at the thought of trusting the small branch to hold and pull myself up the rope I felt quite steady hooking the pole on a branch and using it as a hand rail.

Good for checking Squirrel drays too.

Nessisary evil

Dont get me wrong I think a pole saw in the tree is very annoying as well, just a nessisary evil.

I've been using the orange Marvin 6' poles with the short wooden head for the last couple of years. They are light and still pretty firm with three sections (moving a rope or that way out one or two pieces of deadwood).

The Marvin 330 blades are the best that I've found so far, very nimble and excellent for pruning - yet still nice and vicious for takedowns.

Rarely do I move ropes unless its with three 6' sections, just gets more done. Does it take a little longer?? After you miss a couple of throws or your rope wraps around a sucker a few times then think again. That said, if its an easy toss..sure.

If I am forced to prune a big tree and I'm out 30' on a leader I can reach out to prune other tips and hard to reach ends while I'm out there - maybe even move my tail and pull myself over so I can work the ends and work back into the trunk.

This is why I posted this, I cant see treework being efficient without a polesaw (and the threads suck lately).

Dont get me wrong I think a pole saw in the tree is very annoying as well, just a nessisary evil.

I've been using the orange Marvin 6' poles with the short wooden head for the last couple of years. They are light and still pretty firm with three sections (moving a rope or that way out one or two pieces of deadwood).

The Marvin 330 blades are the best that I've found so far, very nimble and excellent for pruning - yet still nice and vicious for takedowns.

Rarely do I move ropes unless its with three 6' sections, just gets more done. Does it take a little longer?? After you miss a couple of throws or your rope wraps around a sucker a few times then think again. That said, if its an easy toss..sure.

I like the Marvin poles I use the fixed metal ends. I stopped using pole saws to move ropes quite a while ago due to damaging ropes, and I think it takes longer than it does to coil your rope and throw it. That said if it's too weird a throw angle I'll take the blade off and poke the rope where it needs to be. Whatever works is good. I rarely take one into the tree with me though I just send for it if I need to.

I like the Marvin poles I use the fixed metal ends. I stopped using pole saws to move ropes quite a while ago due to damaging ropes, and I think it takes longer than it does to coil your rope and throw it. That said if it's too weird a throw angle I'll take the blade off and poke the rope where it needs to be. Whatever works is good. I rarely take one into the tree with me though I just send for it if I need to.

On a prune its usually throwline up, and then pull myself up, (or footlock if I'm not feeling to lazy) and then have the polesaw tied on so I can advance to a better crotch. I hate not being tied in so I dont care if it takes a little longer, just gotta be safe. Part of the expense of our work should be allowing time to do it safely.

Tree MDS On a prune its usually throwline up said:
Me too. I am always tied in, but I double crotch a lot due to the nature of the majority species I work with. I only rarely use it to position my second rope if it's too awkward a throw. I'm more of a branch walker than a regular pole saw user I keep my weight on my saddle and walk out to the the ends.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back