Has Oregon chain really changed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run almost exclusively Oregon chain primarily because of price and performance. I spin my own chain and go through about 100' per year. I run 3/8 .063 chisel/chisel in all three configurations- full comp for my personal firewood (oak), semi skip on 32" bars and by far my most popular, full skip for 36" and longer bars. I grind on a Silvey SDM-4 for the bits and an HDG-6 for the rakers and gullets. I've noticed no difference in the bit hardness over the years but but several of us old geezers have noticed in the last couple years that the chain doesn't seem to stretch as much as it used to. This is not due to higher quality B+C oil as we're running a lower quality (and priced) oil these days. They just seem to be manufacturing it better.
The angles on the "C" series chains have changed over the years though as I have some chains from the 80's for really long bars (50"+) that I hardly ever use anymore and the difference is quite visible even with the naked eye.
I will say this. Stihl chain bits are definitely harder than Oregon. This is noticeable even on a grinder. Occasionally when I buy a new saw I will get it with the stock Stihl chain and I can feel the difference in hardness.
In an earlier post someone mentioned that some Oregon chain is being manufactured in China. Many people are unaware of this but it is a national symbol of pride in China to make a product of the lowest quality possible and still get the people of another nation to buy it. This is particularly true for the people of the United States. I say this in jest but it would not surprise me at all if this were true. What a bunch of crap! If I continue it will have to be over in the political section of the website. LOL
If you're having issues with your Oregon chain definitely get ahold of your distributor as It has been my finding that corporate Oregon really does care. Years ago they actually sent a rep out in the woods to get our feedback and we got a bunch of freebies to boot. I've been told (but can't prove it) that most unbranded chain is Carlton. I always thought Carlton made a good product but have limited experience with it and even that was decades ago.
You do realize they were recently (with in the last few years) bought out? It wouldn't be too far fetched to believe till existing stock was bought up the rolls you got were still Canadian produced? I don't go through that much chain so u typically get pre-made loops. I'd assume these sell a lot faster. The older chain sure wasn't the same as stihl but it was half the price and was 90% the value. I can't say in honesty thats true anymore.

You do realize they were recently (with in the last few years) bought out? It wouldn't be too far fetched to believe till existing stock was bought up the rolls you got were still Canadian produced? I don't go through that much chain so u typically get pre-made loops. I'd assume these sell a lot faster. The older chain sure wasn't the same as stihl but it was half the price and was 90% the value. I can't say in honesty thats true anymore.
The dealer i got the Husqvarna chain from has the chain priced about $2 cheaper than Oregon. I got one loop for $19 before tax.

Yes, I did know about the change in ownership and it is concerning as the new owners are a private equity firm based in Beverly Hills, CA that specialize in leveraged buyouts. Just guessing, but probably not a lot of chainsaw use nor experience amongst that crowd. That being said I can not find nor have I heard anything about changes in manufacturing. None of the trade magazines have mentioned anything about manufacturing changes. That really means nothing. Equity firms that buy and sell companies will do just about anything to make a profit including "reducing" a company in an effort to give future potential (corporate) buyers the "idea" that there is room for improvement if they so decide to buy the company.
The last roll that I bought, spun up and ground (stock grind is horrible) was purchased in March 2022 from Madsen's. This was 75CJ chain and they go through a lot of it so I'm guessing it was manufactured fairly recently. I think I still have the box and the spool out in the shop. Just checked- both the box and the spool say, "Made in USA" but it doesn't say when it was made however comparing the graphics on this recent spool to a couple I purchased last year they are of a new design so I'm again guessing a fairly current manufacturing date, well, at least for the spool. LOL
"Madsen's is the world's largest selling dealer of Oregon professional square-ground saw chain."- at least according to their catalog. If you've never seen there catalog there's a ton of useful information although it's mostly geared towards western timber cutters.
I wish I knew more about chipper chain. I do have a Silvey 510 round chain grinder and it works great for what little round chain grinding that I do. My friends and neighbors think I'm great! I grind their chain for free and I keep a few rolls of consumer chain around that I sell to them for less than half of what the local saw shop charges.
Quick edit- Wow, Oregon Tool owns Carlton. Learn something new every day.

Last loop of oregon I got was .050 JGX and that crap stretched so bad that half way through its life I threw it away because it needed a link removed, the chisels chrome plating was peeling on the top from the edge back and would not hold a edge for a whole tank.
Who did you buy it from?

Was that on ebay or amazon as they sell on both. It does not matter but sometimes I question if some products are genuine. The counterfeiters are much better than some think.

Bill
I have suspitions that some stuff on ebay is seconds, like perhaps bars. But have you any reason to suspect chain (read counterfeit) like Oregon that put their name on the tie straps and Stihl that puts their name on the cutters is or has been available on ebay or Amazon.

Amazon
cutter angles were sharpened to the oregon angles and top plates were oregon specific wear indicator etched.
The cheap 8.00 chinese brand chains have been better than oregon and archer chains, older chain is superior to the new stuff even with the newer heat treatments. The rivet pins are simply softer on the newer stuff..if you punch out the rivets yourself you can feel the strength difference.

Amazon
cutter angles were sharpened to the oregon angles and top plates were oregon specific wear indicator etched.
The cheap 8.00 chinese brand chains have been better than oregon and archer chains, older chain is superior to the new stuff even with the newer heat treatments. The rivet pins are simply softer on the newer stuff..if you punch out the rivets yourself you can feel the strength difference.
Didn't they discontinue production of LGX and JGX a few years ago?

Bought out? Interesting.. price doubled too, even before the latest round of inflation. Reminds me of Diamond Strike-a-Fire. Best fire starters I've ever used. Bought out by the other company, I forget the name, and the price almost tripled. I was going to bite the bullet on one box - I used to buy 3 at a time- at Home Depot for the insane price, and when I got the registers, they only had self checkout so I dropped it on the nearest counter and walked out. I'll buy paraffin and make my own with chain saw chips.

As an aside, I live in the town where the Diamond Brands factory is. Sad it closed. The buildings still stand. Front office area now occupied by local accounting firm. SAPPI has a huge pulp-paper-fiber mill across the street. It’s still going strong. They now use the Diamond Brands wood lot for their trucked in wood - tons and tons of it.

Last loop of oregon I got was .050 JGX and that crap stretched so bad that half way through its life I threw it away because it needed a link removed, the chisels chrome plating was peeling on the top from the edge back and would not hold a edge for a whole tank.
I never did have good experience with Oregon chain in the last 40 years. I pretty much use Stihl RS exclusively now. It easily goes twice as long between sharpenings and does not stretch as much.

Stihl chain tested best overall (but was noticeably more effected/slowed after the dirt test, i.e. dulled more quickly). Oregon chain tested second overall compared to all the other competitors... But because the video test is about two years old, it doesn't address if Oregon chain is now of lower quality.

My experience is that Oregon cuts more slowly than Stihl, dulls more quickly and stretches more.

Oregon works well for me. If there is a difference it goes unnoticed by me. If it were a kitchen knife or similar I would opt for the better more expensive, but chainsaw chains are a wear item, and a quick one, so saving ~50% makes good sense to me.

Latest posts

Back