Has this happened to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
{customer hat on}

I am terrible for asking contractors to expand the job. Whenever I get a contractor on site I see how easily their expertise and experience gets the job done and suddenly I find all sorts of additional "just this little bit extra" jobs that I want them to do while they are on site.

However....

I also tell them to charge me whatever they feel is fair extra for the additional work and I dont argue. I figure that I approved the quote because their pricing was fair and they have a better idea than I do as to what the additional work is worth. Now they are on-site they are unlikely to gouge me.. and they never have.

I guess my point is that for the homeowner half of the hassle is just getting the contractor on site... so once they are there it is very *easy* to start asking for more work to be done so I expect you'll see this more and more.

The critical part for the contractor is how you deal with the request. Perhaps you could adjust your written quote and get the homeowner to sign it before you proceed... In my neck of the woods it would be more common to leave it at a verbal agreement.

Very true,, when clients ask me to do ""extra work"" because "it will only take you a minute with all your special tools"" I politely say "" no problem at all
,we will finish the original job first so as to make sure we have enough time and then i will quote you for anything you would like ""
I find this sorts out the genuine from the chance-rs, if it is only a very small job i will not charge them as a thankyou for the work and to keep them sweet. other wise some people will take the p1ss and laugh at you when you are gone.

I usually do a little extra myself but I choose what we do.

Like cleaning the curb from property line to property line.
Or maybe clean the gutters, blow off the deck, walks, porch. Even if we didn't make a mess there.

Kinda all depends how the bid goes and how much money they're spending. I get alot of repeat customers that way. Just a few minutes could make you more money in the long run.

I do draw a line when it comes to extra climbing, speding money, leaving to get something.

Or when we have a leave lay bid and the guys chest swells up and says in his mocho voice "You just get it down and I'll take it from there." Then the day we do the job the guy says "See I just have a small Craftsman saw, I don't have a saw big enough for that big wood." I always start my no way am I gonna cut this big trunk up with a laugh and here we go smart ass comments.
captaincaveman.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious about the commercial side.
Have any of you ever said something like:
These already agreed on items will cost you X.

The additional items will be an add'l hourly rate.
Maybe adding "no more than this amount in total."

Just curious.
-br

I do it all the time.

"Yes! We'll be glad to do that for you, too. Of course there will be an extra charge. Would you like a quote, or should we just bill you for the extra time? Our rate is..."

Hey Guys/Gals,

I signed a contract for a job, 500$ just to clean up a complete mess of fallen trees that occurred when Maine had a few ice storms this year. I was going to haul away the logs, chip the brush and remove everything.

I went to start the job yesterday and the homeowner said that she needed the fencing repaired that the tree's had fallen on. I said alright, and to be courteous I was going to do it for free if they bought the materials. She said, well all I have is a budget of 500$. I said alright, well then the cleanup that we had negotiated would be as extensive as I had promised as the materials were over 100$ to fix the wire fence. I had to cover that cost. She said fine.

So I chip all the brush up, get rid of that. Then I cut all the trees into 16" lengths and stacked them nicely. I then proceeded to fix the fence. She came out and she was happy and then came her husband.

My plan was to leave the logs, they gave a rustic look to the place and could have easily been sold with a small sign. He came out and was like you're going to take all that with you right. I mentioned that when we talked about the fence we both agreed that the cleanup wouldn't be as extensive.

He sort of stood there dumbfounded and to keep them happy I said I would come haul away the 3 cords of wood that was stacked perfectly and looked great. Of course he kept mentioning there was more work he wanted me to do after that and yada yada yada. Trying to get me to do as much work as possible thinking that he will call me to do more work. Which he may I am not sure.

Has anyone went to do a job after the estimate and plans were laid out and had the homeowner expect more from them? Is this a frequent thing I should look forward to happening. My business is new.

happens occasionally to me. give the HO the bid, tell him/her what the plan is, then when it's all done or close to it, they want more or say this should be done to for that amount of money. The best thing you can do is put the bid/work order on paper so that it is absolutley clear to the HO what is going to be done. Another thing, only deal with one person. Meaning if property is owned by a husband and wife or if the property is co-owned (apartments or commerical buildings) only deal with that one person, otherwise you put up with everyones input on what needs to be done. That's when it gets annoying and turns into, This person wants this, but the other person wants this but no that. Do see what I'm saying?
For example, Husband and wife own a house with a front and back yard totaling 6,000 square feet and they want sod. Wife makes first call with me, so I deal with her from that point on. Give her an estimate of $5,400 for materials and labor, she says they'll think about it, I say ok. 4 days later she calls back and says they don't want to spend that much at this time and I say that's ok just call me when you are ready. 3 days later I come across her husband at the parts store. He says to me,"Hey when can ya start laying sod for us?" I replied, I've got 10 days untill the next job. I know immediatley what he is about to say and sure enough, "go ahead and start on it, but don't tell her, let me know when you need a check and I'll write it for you". Sorry but I'm not gonna do that, that's when tempers get flared.

I always try to be as clear and precise as possible in my written estimate. I'll even go as far as counting limbs on prune jobs and listing them. I can't count how many times I have had to pull out my statement book and show the HO exactly what they agreed to after they want me to prune something else (usually something that doesn't need to be pruned) after I am already out of the tree. I did a huge red oak last year and wrote in the estimate that I would deadwood it and prune all of the hanging, storm damaged limbs (I think I listed 5 or 6 limbs). After I was on the ground the HO said he thought I was going to do an entire crown reduction. I broke out the signed statement and showed him right there in black and white what he agreed to. I think I did the job for like $800 and told him that what he wanted was much more extensive than $800. I said it was more like $1600 at the very least. You got to be careful, a lot of people are trying to get something for nothing.

I also have a commercial account with a condominium complex with a bunch of retired people and everybody is some kind of board member. I have to be careful of the politics out there. Everyone wants something for nothing but I have learned who is in a position of power and authority and who is not. I first started dealing with the manager of the complex but found out who the president of the homeowner's assoc. was and went straight to her, introduced myself and found out what she wanted. After talking with her she told me to go back to the manager and tell her to cancel the scheduled bid by the other tree service, she wanted me to do the job. I have had that account for two years now. I do what the president wants as far as work and deal with the manager as far as money. If someone wants something done in front of their unit and it is not in my work order I evaluate it, decide if I need to charge for it and either charge the HO directly or throw it in as a freebie. I will often throw in small tasks as a freebie to keep everyone happy but will charge for ornamental prunes or anything I have to get off the ground for.

Last edited:
I always try to be as clear and precise as possible in my written estimate. I'll even go as far as counting limbs on prune jobs and listing them. I can't count how many times I have had to pull out my statement book and show the HO exactly what they agreed to after they want me to prune something else (usually something that doesn't need to be pruned) after I am already out of the tree. I did a huge red oak last year and wrote in the estimate that I would deadwood it and prune all of the hanging, storm damaged limbs (I think I listed 5 or 6 limbs). After I was on the ground the HO said he thought I was going to do an entire crown reduction. I broke out the signed statement and showed him right there in black and white what he agreed to. I think I did the job for like $800 and told him that what he wanted was much more extensive than $800. I said it was more like $1600 at the very least. You got to be careful, a lot of people are trying to get something for nothing.

I also have a commercial account with a condominium complex with a bunch of retired people and everybody is some kind of board member. I have to be careful of the politics out there. Everyone wants something for nothing but I have learned who is in a position of power and authority and who is not. I first started dealing with the manager of the complex but found out who the president of the homeowner's assoc. was and went straight to her, introduced myself and found out what she wanted. After talking with her she told me to go back to the manager and tell her to cancel the scheduled bid by the other tree service, she wanted me to do the job. I have had that account for two years now. I do what the president wants as far as work and deal with the manager as far as money. If someone wants something done in front of their unit and it is not in my work order I evaluate it, decide if I need to charge for it and either charge the HO directly or throw it in as a freebie. I will often throw in small tasks as a freebie to keep everyone happy but will charge for ornamental prunes or anything I have to get off the ground for.

It was pretty much the same thing with " 450 dollars worth please". I went to get paid and the guy come out and starts pointing at limbs I had allready told him would be 750. He goes" I was really looking to get those off" I almost said " then why did you tell me just the dead for 450? I told you about this before."
Ok I lied, I didn't almost say that I did say it, not right then and not in that way but I let him know that he was infringing on my professionalism with his games. I made sure he swallowed all of that load. I am sure he was not rolling in dough but to try to weasle me to break my ass?
Hell, I paid 2 guys 500 for an hour and a half fixing my well pump, I thought that was reasonable. They didn't mess around, had the tools and equipment... had it fixed in no time, there ya go.

It was pretty much the same thing with " 450 dollars worth please". I went to get paid and the guy come out and starts pointing at limbs I had allready told him would be 750. He goes" I was really looking to get those off" I almost said " then why did you tell me just the dead for 450? I told you about this before."
Ok I lied, I didn't almost say that I did say it, not right then and not in that way but I let him know that he was infringing on my professionalism with his games. I made sure he swallowed all of that load. I am sure he was not rolling in dough but to try to weasle me to break my ass?
Hell, I paid 2 guys 500 for an hour and a half fixing my well pump, I thought that was reasonable. They didn't mess around, had the tools and equipment... had it fixed in no time, there ya go.

LMAO!

I agree 100%

Hey Guys/Gals,

I signed a contract for a job, 500$ just to clean up a complete mess of fallen trees that occurred when Maine had a few ice storms this year. I was going to haul away the logs, chip the brush and remove everything.

I went to start the job yesterday and the homeowner said that she needed the fencing repaired that the tree's had fallen on. I said alright, and to be courteous I was going to do it for free if they bought the materials. She said, well all I have is a budget of 500$. I said alright, well then the cleanup that we had negotiated would be as extensive as I had promised as the materials were over 100$ to fix the wire fence. I had to cover that cost. She said fine.

So I chip all the brush up, get rid of that. Then I cut all the trees into 16" lengths and stacked them nicely. I then proceeded to fix the fence. She came out and she was happy and then came her husband.

My plan was to leave the logs, they gave a rustic look to the place and could have easily been sold with a small sign. He came out and was like you're going to take all that with you right. I mentioned that when we talked about the fence we both agreed that the cleanup wouldn't be as extensive.

He sort of stood there dumbfounded and to keep them happy I said I would come haul away the 3 cords of wood that was stacked perfectly and looked great. Of course he kept mentioning there was more work he wanted me to do after that and yada yada yada. Trying to get me to do as much work as possible thinking that he will call me to do more work. Which he may I am not sure.

Has anyone went to do a job after the estimate and plans were laid out and had the homeowner expect more from them? Is this a frequent thing I should look forward to happening. My business is new.
I'll do a little extra for good repeat customers there the one that matter , most of the time the estimate leaves nothing to question, the night before i start i go over the estimate over the phone, that right there removes any questions, I just started taking digital pics of major parts of the job they make great reference material and a camera is pretty cheap. Peolpe always push just a little they want to feel like they got the most for there money.

Hey Guys/Gals,

I signed a contract .....

I used to have it happen a lot. These days I use a contract for anything over $500.00. Unfortunately customers still do come out pointing at this, and that. I politely explain, and show them that it was not included in the original quote then as they continue to point things out I verbally agree the price : "That will be another $20 that will be $50" and so on.

I wish they'd speak up before you or whoever gets down out of the tree, and pulls out all the equipment, or worse jumping back in the truck to go to the next job.Most customers seem to have no idea at all about the work involved.

I see no end to it though. I still try to believe the customer is always right even if I am sticking pins into an imaginary Voodoo doll in my head!:cry:

I took me a while to read through the advice I was given. It is much appreciated and I've learned a lot just from this thread. I appreciate the help you have all given me. Repeat business is what is keeping me going, and word of mouth. I can politely use the advice you have given me and implement it into my negotiation and it should work out fine.

Regards,

I run across this type of thing all the time.......Whether it's a clean-up job, custom farm work, or pretty much anything else. People always think they can get a little extra out of you than what had been agreed upon.

Back