Hauling Wood As You Get Older...What Changes Have You Made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll turn 60 while I'm cutting next spring. The best trick I've learned is to slow down a bit and don't go at it non-stop. Leaning on the maul and watching the chipmunks play, or sitting on a stump and listening to the birds occasionally doesn't change your output all that much but it sure leaves you feeling better at the end of the day.

Nice. There's a lesson for all of us.

Last edited:
working wood is good for ya... so long as you don't get hurt.

figured out I'm no longer superman and cannot do the things I did younger.
now you figure out how to work smarter.

unless you've got a high $$$ budget and/or very good at fabricating a hydraulic lift.
go with tilt splitters like Huskee 35ton ($1600 on sale)... large rounds can be easily maneuvered into position with a Peavy. which by the way is mandatory!!!!

now everyone says... don't be straining yourself ... noodle it down to size.
for me instead of wrestling 5ft diameter rounds into place.... screw it... noodle it is MUCH easier.

get a motorized wheelbarrow like a DR Powerwagon or Muck truck... scored mine on Craigslist for $350. the Muck truck even less. but you've got to be patient, jump on it when it does come up for cheap.

litefoot, I don't haul rounds. I cut the rounds and split them right in the woods using a vertical splitter. I sit on a milk crate and just roll the rounds up to the splitter and there is very little lifting involved. I chunk the billets on the truck as I split then bring them home and stack them on landscape timbers. I don't like double handling my firewood. You can work hard when you are young but you need to work smart when you are old.

I was 73 years old as of last June, and I have been cutting firewood, mostly out of my own little 12 acre woods, for the last 40 years. I only cut standing dead trees, or blow downs. I realized some years ago if I wanted to keep doing this, and I do, I needed to stay in shape. So I go and work out at the Y twice a week (silver sneaker member). I designed a workout routine that would strengthen those muscles that I use to saw, lift, and split wood.

I don't lift heavy rounds anymore. I might roll them, or tumble them, but I don't lift them ( I could, but I don't). I saw the wood into rounds, split it, and stack it where I cut it down. I keep a year ahead on my wood cutting. Right now I am cutting for next year, so I am not in a hurry. This way I can stack the wood and cover it up right where I cut it, and come for it next year at my leisure.

I work until I get tired, and then I quit. Working tired will get you hurt. You make mistakes.

I don't have a splitter, and I don't intend to get one. If I had one I would need to bring the rounds to the splitter, and I don't lift rounds, and I don't build roads into the woods. I do clear narrow lanes for a garden tractor and small trailer to haul the wood out.

Also I have learned, if I run into wood that is hard to split, I will stand up the rounds and saw a starter split about about 4" deep into them (do them all at one time), put a wedge into that split
and crack it open. That is not a lot faster, but is much easier on the old body.

My property is hilly, and sometimes I want to cut up a tree that is down in a steep hollow. If a tractor can get near it I get one of my near neighbors, who has a tractor (three of them do), to snake them out for me. If the Tractor is not feasible I pull them out in short pieces with a heavy duty come-a-long. This takes longer of course, but is not that hard.

Finally, I don't burn wood for primary heat, but usually just on really cold nights as an auxiliary source of heat, and because I like to sit by a fire. So I don't need a lot of wood. I usually burn about +/- 3 cords a year, and mostly oak.

I fall trees in the direction that will be the safest, and will make the least work. A year or so ago I went to a wire rope store, and bought 75' of 5/16" good bright steel cable. and I had them put a loop on each end. I also bought a cable puller device to attach to the end of it (without this the wire rope is virtually useless). I also bought a Maasdam, heavy duty, come-a-long. I use this to pull trees in the direction I want them to go, and to snake them out of the woods, and there is no stretching or worry about it breaking.

I don't know how much longer I can do this, but I will do all I can to keep the end of it years away.

Be safe out there.

Thank you clayman. You're an inspiration to us all...and Eastern TN is a very nice place to be.

Way to go clayman -- keep it up. I cut wood with an active 70-something year old a few weeks back, and he was a real inspiration to be around. I sure hope I can be that active and fit when I am in my 70s.

I brought home a trailer-full of rounds Sunday, intending to break them down right on the trailer and stack on my pile. However, I discovered that it's too muddy to back down to my wood pile (it's been raining in biblical proportions here -- I might just build an ark). So what I really should do is pick up a load of gravel to put down, and maybe a couple bales of straw. Unfortunately, that means offloading the wood somewhere first, since I need the trailer to get the gravel. And these were big rounds too -- about 24 to 30" in diameter, and some left 6 feet long (I cranked them into the trailer with a come-along). Basically, I think I have screwed myself with this trailer-full of big rounds -- no way to get out of handling them several times now. I am going to give it a few days to see if the ground dries out before dealing with it.

Regarding splitting, I don't think I have seen anyone mention noodling the wood with a saw, but that is another option to keep in mind if you don't want to run a splitter or swing an axe/maul. I stack cut rounds in a pile and then start by sawing the top ones in half, then quarters, and smaller if possible. So the majority of the "splitting" is done with the saw. This also produces some nice straw-like chips that you can use for a variety of uses -- animal bedding, tinder, or mulch. I mainly do this because it's faster for a one-man operation, plus I like running a saw a lot more than an axe/maul. But I do think it's a lot easier on a person -- you're letting the saw and fuel do the work.

What do you mean - I love being bitten by bugs and having sweat pouring down my face and running down my glasses. What could be more fun?

That's exactly how I was last weekend, I especially love the sweat pouring down inside my glasses and mixing with sawdust. This week.............Winter Storm Warning. Gotta love the south west!

one of my best wood cutting buddies is 78, and while I'm 45 and a little gimpy, he usually runs circles around me... you know one of those tough old stringy types that the cannibals will save for last... :hmm3grin2orange:

He's a great guy and just last year bought his first splitter. We use it vertically and just roll the rounds up to it. He's a firewood monster, having prob 10x more wood than he'll ever burn, but still getting more when the gettin's good. Prob has over 20 chords stored, and only uses 2-3/yr.

we usually load rounds on a 16' utility trailer (drive up to where the wood is) and he hauls the splitter on a 5x8 to split on location.

So, from his point of view, one of the adjustments he's made is to find someone younger, dumber, and uglier to run circles around and occasionally lift heavy crap, but mostly to fall back on if there's any trouble.

That was funny number 37. :biggrin: I needed a laugh, Thanks.

Another thing I ought to say: God has blessed me. I am in good health, and pretty fit for my age. My will tells me I can do anything I once did, but my will doesn't have any brains and doesn't understand I am not the man I used to be. That's the danger. When you are older don't assume you can do all you once did just because you feel like you can. I learned you can't: not without paying a price. :msp_ohmy:

That's exactly how I was last weekend, I especially love the sweat pouring down inside my glasses and mixing with sawdust. This week.............Winter Storm Warning. Gotta love the south west!
And after a couple of hours you can't find any places on your shirt dry or clean enough to wipe them off with! Every couple of minutes you gotta put down your tools, take off your gloves and wipe the sweat off your glasses - it gets really old.

And after a couple of hours you can't find any places on your shirt dry or clean enough to wipe them off with! Every couple of minutes you gotta put down your tools, take off your gloves and wipe the sweat off your glasses - it gets really old.

That's what sweatbands are for. I use these since my SIL keeps me in stock from Canada. They don't look like much but they soak up a whole lotta sweat before it begins running. Take off, squeeze out, hang on a bush to dry and put on a dry one. I have had as many as 4 at a time going in rotation but I don't work that hard any more.

Harry K

That's what sweatbands are for. I use these since my SIL keeps me in stock from Canada. They don't look like much but they soak up a whole lotta sweat before it begins running. Take off, squeeze out, hang on a bush to dry and put on a dry one. I have had as many as 4 at a time going in rotation but I don't work that hard any more.

Harry K

This is scary, I actually...............no really I did............. think that a sweatband could help, but the last time I used or saw one was back in the 70's. Guess I've been out of touch!!

This is scary, I actually...............no really I did............. think that a sweatband could help, but the last time I used or saw one was back in the 70's. Guess I've been out of touch!!
Wait, are you allowed to cut wood in a polyester jogging suit? I'm just too cool for a sweat band (well, maybe I'll give that a try).

Well, I'm 58 and have cut firewood to heat my houses since I was 25, but with a 5 year "hiatus" from 35 - 40.

Here in Nevada and Utah I've primarily cut three species, Utah juniper, pinyon pine, and mountain mahogany. With a little Gambel's Oak thrown in for a few years.

I owned a splitter when I was cutting pinyon pine, as it was about impossible to split, but Utah juniper is real easy to split, and I sold the splitter years ago.

Anyway, I've almost always "bucked up" the wood into stove length chunks "in the field", and split them at home.

What I have purchased recently are a couple of 8" Timber Tongs which have been a godsend for saving my back when loading or otherwise handling firewood rounds. I have a holster for one tong which I carry while cutting which helps me handle logs, then I use the pair to transport stove length chunks to the truck. WOW, works good. I'd bet a pulp hook would really help too.

I like to go at a relatively slow pace, and I'm usually alone. I have about 7 cords of wood in my back yard. My wife and kids say, "Dad, we don't need anymore wood!!" I keep cutting though, because it keeps me healthy and in shape!!

Take care and keep cutting!

I am a young buck at 37, but sit on my arse all day. So I am a wee bit out of shape! I cut green pinon pine(pinyon pine in my neck of the woods), 3 seed juniper(we just call it juniper) and what ever else I can scrounge up. I will never try to hand split green pinon because it is to stringy and tough! I split it green and stack it to season for the following years firewood. Juniper seasons up pretty fast and splits super easy, but tough on chains.

I am in the process of buying some husky 8" and 12" log tongs to speed up the loading process.

Mike

Well, I asked the question, so let me tell you what I'm going to do...for now. I think I'm going to start cutting my firewood into 16" rounds there on the mountain. I think I'll purchase some timber tongs to pick up and load the rounds into one of those lawn cart/wagons (which I'll also need to purchase. I hope this will be less fatiguing and will require less bending over. I also think I'm going to buy some kind of timber jack as well. I'm not quite ready for a splitter, but I think I'm going to try one of those Fiskers I hear so much about. Oh, and a longer bar for the chainsaw for less bending.

Thanks for all the great inspiring ideas and suggestions.

What changes as you get older is you're sure you have enough wood for the winter after this one is you git sum more up jest to be sure.

Well, hubby & I are on the other side of 60 so I guess that makes both of us a little older. Hubby was in construction all his life and strong as an ox until he had his chest opened up 3 times. Me? Office worker, sales, etc. - nothing much physical. Due to medical bills we had to find ways to cut costs and wood heat entered our lives.

Triptester, a member here, did a fantastic re-do of our splitter which included a log lift - that lift is a wonderful back saver for me as hubby can't help much with the rounds. I have found we don't call "Union Break" as often now that we have the log lift. :)

We don't have any heavy equipment here other than maybe the splitter. Keep in mind we are small peanuts firewood processors compared to most of you.

If I could setup splitting wood like this every time I would feel like I was in heaven:

100_0269.jpg

Suburban firewood processing:

Drop the gate on the trailer to near level.
Lower splitter lift to just below gate level.
Use the pickeroon to roll rounds onto the lift.
Lift & split.
Push off to (in this case) a wagon or another trailer.
Pull wagon or trailer (with the riding mower) over to stacking area.
Stack.

Ideally I should be splitting right next to my stacks - but I've got too much wood right now and can't get the equipment in the backyard right now. This will be corrected by the end of this heating season.

The above photo/steps means nothing touches the ground until it is stacked. Bending is something my back likes less and less as I get older. :)

Shari

Last edited:
Back