Have you ever broke a saw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was watching "great wild north " tonight and Cor was sawing a log with a husky that looked to be about 40 cc's .. He gets it pinched and then says .. Well I broke my chain and he holds up his saw chain ... Broke in half ... I have got my saw pinched and have kinked a few chains but have never broke one..

I had one break a few years ago at WOT.....scared the $hit outta me. Luckily it broke in a deep cut so it didn't really fly around but still scared me when it let loose.

Only broke one on a rental pole saw. Big limb pinched on it and I gave her a pull. After I put the backup chain on I finished the cut and the broken chain came down. Rental place didn't care when we were upfront with them.

? bitzer, I am sure you do a lot of bore cutting! do you use a replaceable tip bar or solid for this work? most of my tips explode from bore cutting with a speed tip/replaceable 1 rivet stump pounded or truck tow ball.

I almost never bore cut. The stress comes from riding out the bind in a buck. I do use the tip a lot for other things tho.

I am assuming you are following the cut after the initial fall chasing the hinge wood with the tip(as I do with a usual moment of pinch an pull ) at the last minute/second before the butt leaves the stump? sometimes to late without a bore cut!

I've thrown a chain or two. Never broke one but a chain loop lost a couple teeth once when it got in a bind. Cutting limbs on a felled tree can be the devil. :)

I broke one. It just broke at a tie strap. I think the chain catcher got it - just kind of un-nerving. I assume the tie strap was bent or damaged from a pinch.

Had a co-worker snap a chain and it whipped around (no chain catcher) and embedded in his leg behind his chaps. Not a serious injury but it could have been...

Years ago a guy at work was cutting some framing lumber at waist height. He hit a steel nail and the chain broke, whipped up and caught him across his face with the tail end. Almost 100 stitches to fix it back up, a loop from his nose down to his jawbone and up almost to his ear. Big nasty 1/2 circle of a scar. No ppe, not even glasses.

. . .it whipped around (no chain catcher) and embedded in his leg behind his chaps..

Almost 100 stitches. . . No ppe, not even glasses.

Most of the time, if you're cutting with the bottom of the bar and the chain breaks, it will just fall off of the saw. If it breaks on the top of the bar the chain can whip around.

That's the reason for a chain catcher; for the big flat area on the bottom of the rear handle; and one of the reasons for PPE like gloves and chaps - don't 'need' them all of the time, but when you do . . . .

When chain breaks on a mechanical harvester, some of the pieces can break off and kill the operator.

http://www.oregonproducts.com/harvester/service/chain_shot.htm

http://www.orosha.org/pdf/hazards/2993-29.pdf

Philbert

Back