Have you ever broke a saw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago a guy at work was cutting some framing lumber at waist height. He hit a steel nail and the chain broke, whipped up and caught him across his face with the tail end. Almost 100 stitches to fix it back up, a loop from his nose down to his jawbone and up almost to his ear. Big nasty 1/2 circle of a scar. No ppe, not even glasses.
Thanks for sharing this. That sounds very painful.
It's pure honesty to share your humble thoughts and that's what's needed to save all of us from potential damage. I'm not one to thrive on extreme safety just to use the word "safety". I do my best to observe situational awareness and stay that way as best I can. However, the more I learn from those that have seen the damage caused to folks with live flesh, the more it means to me to be safe and watch out for our friends. Never take anything for granted. These machines can hurt you. Keep sharing you stories. History must always be shared.

Was watching "great wild north " tonight and Cor was sawing a log with a husky that looked to be about 40 cc's .. He gets it pinched and then says .. Well I broke my chain and he holds up his saw chain ... Broke in half ... I have got my saw pinched and have kinked a few chains but have never broke one..

I have broken several, don't recall ever doing it when the bar was pinched to the point of stalling.

I skipped most of the posts. When I read where you saw the chain break I just laughed. I was watching one of those Alaskan reality shows and the guy put the rifle under his arm pit like a 6 year old girl, shot, and missed. He started ranting about needing to get a deer for the winter to keep from starving. The film crew recorded it like every one shoots a gun from under his arm pit, not using any sights. After that I just quit watching those shows. They stick all kinds of catastrophes in to make a little drama.

To the question, I know I've seen chains break, but I can't remember if I ever had one break on me. I use lots of oil, at least a tank of oil for tank of fuel, and I tend to run my chains just a tad loose, Joe.

I've never had a chain come off a bar even. Run saws daily.
:bowdown: Don't know how that is possible. Never? I won't say it happens every day for me, but certainly once a month or so (coming off I mean, not broken). Usually trying to finish limbing, loose chain ("I'll tighten it up when I finish with this" for example) and like magic, it comes off. Probably had less than a handful break over 35+ years of tree work.

The only time I've thrown a chain has been when I was slashing brush, like wading into a 12' tall forsythia, with a loose chain. Like you said, "I'll tighten this up when I'm done". I can see where a logger could go a life time with out throwing a chain, especially if he takes care to keep his saws in good working order. The ones I've thrown were operator error by not keeping them tight, Joe.

I've never had a chain come off a bar even.
Happens more frequently with small brush, like when limbing or cleaning up storm damage, than when bucking or falling, even when properly tensioned.

The chain lifts slightly out of the bar groove in normal cutting, and small twigs can get in and act like tire levers.

Philbert

• I mostly run short bars (18 and 20") so maybe that is the reason? Though I have run longer, have a 34" (I think, it mostly collects dust) on my 460) I keep around for cutting big stuff.
What's the black dot? I can't erase it.

Only time i throw chains to speak of is clearing brush ,or if lose a chain guide on the sprocket cover .

I posted back in 2015 that all my breaks have been due to metal, but I forgot this one back in 2014:

View attachment 555535

Fence posting gone wrong.

View attachment 555536

Ron
Could you explain this please? I've never seen anyone cut into a pole below soil level. Please excuse any duplication of quotes. I'm not very familiar with all the posting options.
I posted back in 2015 that all my breaks have been due to metal, but I forgot this one back in 2014:

View attachment 555535

Fence posting gone wrong.

View attachment 555536

Ron

Only time I throw chains is when the wrench is at home sitting on the bench and I have 2 more cuts to make. I bought this saw used and the freeking thing has the chain off more than it has it on. It's been sitting on my bench ever since this day last fall.
View attachment 555533
Hey....isn't the saw in the pic one that doesn't take tools to tighten!

Jeff, that's right, no wrenches needed for this saw. It has the "auto loosening" handle on it. That was the one and only day that I've ever used it.
arrow13, I wasn't there but looks to me like he cut the tree down, it got hung up partway down so he recut it higher and when it snapped off it pulled the saw with it and under the tree. Not that I have ever done anything like that.

Jeff, that's right, no wrenches needed for this saw. It has the "auto loosening" handle on it. That was the one and only day that I've ever used it.
arrow13, I wasn't there but looks to me like he cut the tree down, it got hung up partway down so he recut it higher and when it snapped off it pulled the saw with it and under the tree. Not that I have ever done anything like that.

I've never seen how those "auto loosening" saws work ..in theory the saw keeps the correct tension at all times..only time the operator messes with it is when the chain is being removed?

The only thing I've ever heard about them is bad and I'd say from your comments you'd agree?

I've never seen how those "auto loosening" saws work ..in theory the saw keeps the correct tension at all times..only time the operator messes with it is when the chain is being removed?

The saw in that photo just has a 'tool-less' chain tensioner - you adjust the tension manually, but use the built-in lever and thumb wheel instead of a screwdriver or scrench. It is not 'automatic'.

I have seen ads for some saws that do claim to maintain tension 'automatically' - they must have some type of spring to maintain tension?

Philbert

Screen shot 2017-02-03 at 2.38.06 PM.png

Philbert

EDIT: I looked up the User's Manual for this saw to learn more about the 'auto-tension chain system'. Apparently, it does not automatically tension the chain - it just resists loosening of the knob (which takes the place of the bar nuts) to 'hold' tension. The user still has to adjust for 'stretch', heating, etc.

"TENSIONING CHAIN NOTE: New saw chains will stretch. Check chain tension frequently when first used and tighten when the Chain (8) becomes loose around the Guide Bar.

Maintain proper chain tension always.

1. Place the chainsaw on any suitable flat surface.

2. Turn the Chain Tensioning Knob clockwise until it is hand tight. The tension is automatically set while the Chain Tensioning Knob is being tightened. The ratchet mechanism prevents the chain tension from loosening.

3. Double check the tension set by the automatic Chain Tensioning Knob.

4. The Chain will stretch from use and lose proper tension. . .

retension the chain simply repeat steps 1 - 3 listed above ."

(from WORX User's Manual - edited for length)

The saw in that photo just has a 'tool-less' chain tensioner - you adjust the tension manually, but use the built-in lever and thumb wheel instead of a screwdriver or scrench. It is not 'automatic'.

I have seen ads for some saws that do claim to maintain tension 'automatically' - they must have some type of spring to maintain tension?

Philbert
OK..I had zero idea how the Stihl saws worked..I thought it was a auto set-up.

I'm sure they are fine for most people but not for me. It seems to me that it goes loose on it's own, it's either too tight or too loose. I have no patience for gizmos that make stuff easy for dumb azzes. If you need a toolless chainsaw then maybe you should be in the kitchen using an electric carving knife instead. I'm from the school of if it don't work then use your torch and welder and make it better.

Back