Have you ever broke a saw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some brands' tool-less chain tensioners work better than others. I like the ones with the large, outer ring better than the small thumb wheel that the STIHLs have.

Some designs also have something that attaches to the bar, making it harder to flip regularly.

My first preference is a side access chain tensioner and a scrench.

Philbert

Could you explain this please? I've never seen anyone cut into a pole below soil level. Please excuse any duplication of quotes. I'm not very familiar with all the posting options.

"Fence posting" is the name for a technique to bring down a hung tree where you cut off a section at a time from the butt until the tree falls. Sometimes this process doesn't work and you end up with a vertical stem or worse yet one that uncontrollably falls backwards. Here the stem went vertical and grabbed my chain cramming my saw in the dirt in the process of falling straight down. Fortunately it was river sand so there was some cushioning to the blow. It took a little field engineering not to crush the saw when I pulled the tree over backwards.

Ron

Hmm, never heard it called that before. My Dad used to call that a f ing tree when they got hung up like that. I call it making firewood and I hate doing it because that means more hand work to load up the small pieces. I usually use my tractor to pull or push stuff that gets hung up instead of recutting.

Broke a original Stihl 3/8 picco chain on my Stihl 180. At least "half broke", one tie strap broke through.

"Fence posting" is the name for a technique to bring down a hung tree where you cut off a section at a time from the butt until the tree falls. Sometimes this process doesn't work and you end up with a vertical stem or worse yet one that uncontrollably falls backwards. Here the stem went vertical and grabbed my chain cramming my saw in the dirt in the process of falling straight down. Fortunately it was river sand so there was some cushioning to the blow. It took a little field engineering not to crush the saw when I pulled the tree over backwards.

Ron
OK, that helps me understand it. Thanks.
That must have made you jump back pretty quick! Glad you salvaged your saw.

Only time I throw chains is when the wrench is at home sitting on the bench and I have 2 more cuts to make. I bought this saw used and the freeking thing has the chain off more than it has it on. It's been sitting on my bench ever since this day last fall.
View attachment 555533

Sounds like it needs a new home what's the model on it?

Latest posts

Back