have you noticed the trend towards bigger pro saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a small observation.....

1. Is there any relavance between the buying habits of people on this site and what's occuring out in the general market place?

b4b.

Judging by the saws I see on the shelve with my local dealers, then the real market place is miles away from what's going on AS. Thall has confirmed this many, many times...and he's spot on imo.

the crowd on AS is limited to saw buffs with a high CC-testosteron level which represents hardly 1% of the saw market.

I must admit also that the site has almost evolved to a "pimp your saw" advertising vehicle that is no longer appealing to a lot of people imo. If it weren't for the oldie and a few fun threads, I'd already be gone 'in retirement'.

bigger badder faster stronger the american way.

Bigger is almost always better, I always like bustin out the big saws when I get the chance to when workin for people.
But my personal favorite by far is the ms361 it just eats most of what I've cut through without tryin to hard although the sound of a 660 or larger is about like listening to a stock v8 (ms361) then listening to a heavily camed v8 (660 or larger) nothin like the sound of power

here you can here the 660 idlin in the background
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgH2Cmvk3X4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgH2Cmvk3X4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Judging by the saws I see on the shelve with my local dealers, then the real market place is miles away from what's going on AS. Thall has confirmed this many, many times...and he's spot on imo.

the crowd on AS is limited to saw buffs with a high CC-testosteron level which represents hardly 1% of the saw market.

I must admit also that the site has almost evolved to a "pimp your saw" advertising vehicle that is no longer appealing to a lot of people imo. If it weren't for the oldie and a few fun threads, I'd already be gone 'in retirement'.

Well said. Maybe when it finally reverts to "My Wildthing can beat your Woodshark" we can both retire. :hmm3grin2orange:

Years ago I started with a husky 350, then a stihl 390, then came the ms460,
044. I had the 460 modded by WHS and was totally disappointed. The 044 outcut it. I have only had one saw under 70ccs since 04. It was a farmboss a guy traded to me for something. I sold it earlier this year. I have bought 2 372s this year, a 7900, a 660, 390xp. I like the bigger saws. I think I'm done with the big saws since I got the 390. It cuts like a 660 and weighs about the same as a 460 to me.

even in my short while here ive seen less and less 361rs over the past months theyre for awhile it seemed like someone was posting pics of theyre new 361 everyday.

Because it has gone from the "new kid on the block" to a staple. The 346 will see the same eventual fate. This is a site dominated by power hungry saw nuts. There are occasional distractions, but the meat and potatoes of the site has always been the 70-90cc class saws, it has nothing to do with the reality of homeowners, and all to do about running the bad boys.

The 361, and other 60cc saws, have been called "tweener" saws. I agree with that. If you're on a one saw plan, it's a great choice. If not, I tend to jump straight from 50cc to 70cc+. The 60cc doesn't see much use.

It might have something to do with the worldwide exposure of the AS members as well. I know here on the East Coast of the US, you'd do yourself a big favor getting a 372, 7900, 660, etc if you've got a day of cutting oak or maple firewood rounds. The cool thing about the bigger saws is you can always run a shorter bar and switch the gear to an 8 (or 9) tooth and really get some work done.

Not everybody, especially the firewood cutter that cuts a cord in a full season, is ready to spent 1200 $ for a midrange pro saw (yes, that's the average price over here) The so called consumer saws from the major brands, that are so lowballed on this forum, rule the market. And they fit the bill, both performance and budget wise.

If I had to write off my personal saws on the wood I cut, financials would confirm that this was probably the worst investment I ever made. Not that I give a damn though :hmm3grin2orange:

Yup, however I am gettin older and I feel it so I went the other way my 50cc saw gets the most use anymore, my 70cc saw goes out with me every time but I dont use it much.

Kansas

I found this site after xmas of 2007. My mother in law gave me a husky 455 rancher for xmas. Which is a "okay" home owner saw for firewood. I used it for half of a firewood season and "saw" the light. I went out and bought a 372xp, then a univent! No more homeowner saws for me! It was a day and night thing for me! I could cut alot more wood with my 372xp over the 455 rancher! Heck I went out and bought a 385xp. That torque monster 385xp, for the trees that I normally cut is over kill of the highest order! I bucked up some large elm and it was not even a challenge for the saw. It did not even break a sweat! But it is sure fun to run and get a work out! Call me a sadist, but I want a 395xpw! It would very very rare that I would get to use it on a tree worthy of its potential. But again, it sure would be fun to run it! :monkey:

I save over $4000 a year burning firewood. So Ive got a some money to play will every year for toys. Do I really need all the saws that I bought over the last two years. Not really, but it is a hobby! I could have picked one that is way more expensive then this and without the side benefit of firewood.

The best plus for me isnt the material collecting of the saws. It is buying and using them as tools. I keep my saws clean, but do not polish or detail them. It is a tool thats going to get used and scratched. So be it...

Also time spent in the field with my father cutting wood and just hanging out is the best part of being a chainsaw nut! He is getting older and time on this earth is way too short...

Last edited:
Yup, however I am gettin older and I feel it so I went the other way my 50cc saw gets the most use anymore, my 70cc saw goes out with me every time but I dont use it much.

Kansas

Kansas,

10-4 on the 50cc saw. I spied a NE346XP in your sig line, so it's predictable. Have you tried square chisel on a 16" bar yet? :jawdrop:

Don't wait. Operators are standing by. Supplies limited. Offer not valid for homeowners.

ole joat

My favorite Bear gun is a model 95 Winchester in 35 Winchester, it was made in 1910. My favorite Deer gun is a model 99 Savage in 250 Savage, it was made in 1923 or 25, I forget.

My favorite big saw is my homelite Super 1050 with a 4ft bar, it was bought by my Dad in 1972. My favorite little saw is my Homelite Super 1050 with a 20inch bar, bought by my Dad in 1973.

Sentimentality rules. When those babies are runnin right I have a hard time gettin any one to run a saw near me. I think the shock wave in the air disrupts the electrical impulses in their saws making them cough and sputter and just die.

I'd really like to find a nice Homelite 2100 of that same vintage. Oh, I had to post a question about the displacement of the old 1050, I just never knew. The answer was 100cc. I hope nobody takes me serious, because I don't. I do like big old Homelites, Joe.

I like to use the smallest saw I can get away with especially as the day wears on. If the 357 with a 20" bar will do the job then that is what I am likely to grab. When my son is cutting with me I have him use the 260 with an 18" bar. The big saws come out only when they need to. Still, the 460 or the 660 get used most days. That is just because I am cutting 3' dbh and up trees. I don't like a short bar when the tree is rotten or leaning or otherwise compromised.

Kansas,

10-4 on the 50cc saw. I spied a NE346XP in your sig line, so it's predictable. Have you tried square chisel on a 16" bar yet? :jawdrop:

Don't wait. Operators are standing by. Supplies limited. Offer not valid for homeowners.

ole joat

Coincidentaly yes, a 16" with 3/8 square chisel is whats on it now and it is really working good I like it! :)

Kansas

Some of us on here fix em and keep em and collect em , Size matters some i like because they are small some i like because they are large. the only saws i dont collect are the homeowner saws. Stihl 025 021 029 , forget bout em , once you run something that runs good pulls good , has good power to weight ratio your hooked , and all you want to do is run bigger and badder. Kind of a new member here , no where even close to being new to a saw .
To me a collector saw is a lil bit older, daily users will only be pro models 70 plus cc range mostly. Run a 044/046 for a day cutting fire wood and you will be mad as a wet hen when you got to cut with the old HOMEOWNER.

Back