Haven't seen one quite like this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he's a cheater.

doesn't count if you don't smack yourself in the shin with shrapnel or have to go chase wood 30' away from your splitting site... :msp_biggrin:

I'm not sure that was wood.

The splitting could have easily been done with a machette in that log. I think I am getting to know how folks can split and stack a cord of wood in an afternoon... Maybe I am just envious of wood that can split that easily. 1/8 swing, single strike splits

Nice Pine

I have a ton of crappy pine that splits if you fart on it.

lets see some one split green hedge that way, then i will be impressed..maybe a nasty crotch or something.. my wife can split straight grained pine like that..

I've done red oak and red maple rounds like that, just as easy.

Don't always use, but I have a similar choker setup -- less chain, more bungee cord. Chain part is a old dog choke collar I wasn't using anymore.

As to crotchy pieces, why waste time with an axe, maul, or sledge and wedge? I've learned to noodle :)

At the most I would have quartered that log and would have been done before he had his chain hooked up. Why would you want 24 pieces of wood out of a 10" round?

i was splitting some white oak rounds about 15 - 18 inches and my father in law came down to shoot the breeze and was amazed at how much time it saved me using my old dog chain and a 2 foot bungee. more bungee less chain though for sure

You could split that short round by dropping it on a rock. I would have just burned it as is.

Why not just get a longer bungee and wrap it around once or twice. No chain to hit that way. I noticed he's got a perfectly straight grain round and it's green and it's probably -20F You could split it with a kitchen knife and a good whack with a frozen rat.

Anyway he's not using any gasoline, diesel or machinery in the process so where's the fun?

Roy

Using an old tire bolted to a block keeps the rounds from wandering back onto the ground. The actual work starts about 4 mins in.
[video=youtube;bRuk_jd1f8M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRuk_jd1f8M[/video]

At the most I would have quartered that log and would have been done before he had his chain hooked up. Why would you want 24 pieces of wood out of a 10" round?

i thought he was splitting campfire wood(?)

i see a lot of people selling bundles with wood that size.

Latest posts

Back