having problems removing cutter wheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NCTREE, the Carlton pdf I found online recamended cuttin the shaft to remove the cutter wheel, my 2500-4 cutter wheel shaft was broke so was easier to cut a 140.00 shaft, could you drop the whole cutter wheel shaft and bearings and take it to a mechanic shop to press it out in a hydrulic press, here is a link to their pdf on the 4200-4, quess for saftey they recomend a new shaft and bearings or for sales,

http://www.stumpcutters.com/pdf/SP4012Kohler.pdf

bearings and shaft and pully covered on pages 42-46 or so.

Paul

Removing pocket bolts with ease

I split the bearings on my 1625, I also used a air hammer and ran it around the bushing to loosen it up. There are 3 bolt holes that you screw in that popped mine off.

luck on that repair...it is not much fun
I agree this isn't much fun type work. Anyhow I spray Seafoam's Deep Creep penetrant and let it soak in overnight. Then I attach a 1/2" drive Allen wrench on the air impact wrench, slide an 8" piece of 3/4" bar stock through the cutter wheel disc as a stop block and back the bolts out. I learned something new, in this thread, from the idea of using anti-seize compound on bolt threads for the reinstall. It is good maintenance to check the pocket bolts and teeth for tightness after each stump because those parts really work hard at grinding stumps.

I have it all apart the jack shaft is off. I had to use a grinder to cut the bearings and sprocket off. Just have to cut the bearings and sprocket off the cutter shaft and I'm done then it's putting it back together.

I have it all apart the jack shaft is off. I had to use a grinder to cut the bearings and sprocket off. Just have to cut the bearings and sprocket off the cutter shaft and I'm done then it's putting it back together.

Now you need a straight edge to keep the pulleys straight and you need the proper belt tension.

Now you need a straight edge to keep the pulleys straight and you need the proper belt tension.

I have an idea how to get the pulleys straight, gonna have to mess with it until I get it right. I always left the belt tension a little loose, it seems not to affect the performance and the belt last forever. The guy I bought the machine from did the same thing. That bigger pulley is gonna be fun to cut off the cutter wheel shaft. On the jack shaft pulley I had to cut through it in 3 places. It should be ok though my buddy gave me a Stihl cut off saw.

I have an idea how to get the pulleys straight, gonna have to mess with it until I get it right. I always left the belt tension a little loose, it seems not to affect the performance and the belt last forever. The guy I bought the machine from did the same thing. That bigger pulley is gonna be fun to cut off the cutter wheel shaft. On the jack shaft pulley I had to cut through it in 3 places. It should be ok though my buddy gave me a Stihl cut off saw.

Don't you have a die cutter?

Latest posts

Back