Having what seems to be a draft issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I'm assuming it would do it all the time with a blockage and not just when the stove is cold at first fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My stobe doesn't have much draft at 30*. Above that I don't bother making fires, gets way too hot in the house.

How is it now with the cold temps? My stove will about suck wood up the chimney when it's -20*

Well window trick doesn't seem to work started tonight with one window open still did it? Do you think I should add another section of chimney pipe to the top

That is a possible solution.
I had some cedar trees near my house a little higher then the chimney and the wind would go down over the tops and push my draft back at times until I cut them off below the chimney. If you have trees may be you need to get your chimney above them.

My stobe doesn't have much draft at 30*. Above that I don't bother making fires, gets way too hot in the house.

How is it now with the cold temps? My stove will about suck wood up the chimney when it's -20*

Temps have only been dipping into the low 30s at night. So i haven't been able to see with the lower temps.

That is a possible solution.
I had some cedar trees near my house a little higher then the chimney and the wind would go down over the tops and push my draft back at times until I cut them off below the chimney. If you have trees may be you need to get your chimney above them.

I will have to take a picture tomorrow of how high it runs. My pipe doesn't go above the peak of my roof but I thought I was far enough away to not have to worry about that

What are the horizontal runs in the system? Can you draw a sketch of the system with dimensions? Pictures would help. I'm wondering if you have a large horizontal run with little rise then that would kill draft.

Anyone have any experience with a vacu stack
82cae1462a6ed78c5f5504267ca815a8.jpg

Yeah that would defiantly be an issue with that thing.

I will have to take a picture tomorrow of how high it runs. My pipe doesn't go above the peak of my roof but I thought I was far enough away to not have to worry about that

Now u got me curious how it runs. Naturally the smoke I assume goes the path of least resistance. I do think u should run it at least a couple foot above the peak. After wind goes over something it then goes back down. I also expect horizontal running pipe other then a few feet or less could play into backing things up.

Temps have only been dipping into the low 30s at night. So i haven't been able to see with the lower temps.

Oh. I wouldn't mind that. It's -15* here tonight. Had a high of -2*.
Where do you live that it's that hot, Hawaii?

I have a hotblast in my carport with the triple wall pipe going up through the roof and over the pitch of the roof. My chimney cap screen gets clogged first. Hot fires morning and evening dont help. its just a function of the beast. The medium temp (35-45 degree) days kill me with creosote. Its cheaper to burn wood to heat the house then running electric heaters, but the backlash is plenty of buildup from a choked down stove. Doesnt matter how seasoned my wood is, with an uninsulated chimney its just impossible to keep fire temps hot enough to prevent buildup and not run me out of the house. I want a water stove bad.

Well window trick doesn't seem to work started tonight with one window open still did it? Do you think I should add another section of chimney pipe to the top

I would have then closed that window & tried a window on the opposite side of the house. Depending on which way the wind is blowing & roofline directions etc. etc., opening a window could introduce a suck or a blow.

I have a hotblast in my carport with the triple wall pipe going up through the roof and over the pitch of the roof. My chimney cap screen gets clogged first. Hot fires morning and evening dont help. its just a function of the beast. The medium temp (35-45 degree) days kill me with creosote. Its cheaper to burn wood to heat the house then running electric heaters, but the backlash is plenty of buildup from a choked down stove. Doesnt matter how seasoned my wood is, with an uninsulated chimney its just impossible to keep fire temps hot enough to prevent buildup and not run me out of the house. I want a water stove bad.

Yeah I hear you on that it can cook you out in a heart beat. I found with mine once I get a little coal bed I just through one or two pieces in every few hours. It keeps the stove around 200 or 300 and doesn't have smoke build up to bad. I only run the ash door damper one full turn. Works pretty good for me.

Oh. I wouldn't mind that. It's -15* here tonight. Had a high of -2*.
Where do you live that it's that hot, Hawaii?

I live in Maryland it's been a interesting start of winter with these temps all over the place

Ok here is the set up, the top it a bit higher then the peak.

a81c21978194866b1a19f2b3e23fcc35.jpg
959b90553a5a04e364506ec7829cd803.jpg

I would add another section to go higher it should be a minimum of 3' higher than the peak.

Yeah that's what I figured might be the problem. I'll swing down to tractor supply and get another section

Back