HD Echo's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well we have been wondering where all the new Echo saws are coming from that are on CL and ebay. I was just at my local HD looking at all the Homelites and the guy said if i want to see an Echo he would have to get one off the top shelf. He said they are getting stolen right off the shelf in daylight. He said they lost 4 370's last week. Pretty good on how they are leaving the store he told me how but i am not a thief...Bob

Well we have been wondering where all the new Echo saws are coming from that are on CL and ebay. I was just at my local HD looking at all the Homelites and the guy said if i want to see an Echo he would have to get one off the top shelf. He said they are getting stolen right off the shelf in daylight. He said they lost 4 370's last week. Pretty good on how they are leaving the store he told me how but i am not a thief...Bob

At least they know which ones to steal. Speaking of Ebay why do the CS370, cs400, a few CS450 and Cs600(one just went for $378, if I didn't have over 20 saws already I'd have got that one) show up on there and very few CS530, Cs680 or CS8000 show up. Steve

Does HD stock anything bigger than a 400? I've only one store locally and never seen a 450, 530, 600 or 680 there.

all of the HD's in my area have been having a problem with all of the higher end power equipment... the thieves are now also stealing the Husky's at Lowes too... one manager at Lowes said that they have has 4 saws and a string trimmer gone in the last week.

Local HD has the new 600, but the small engine shop across town does too...for actually less $$$! the price is the same, but two cities on either side of the mississippi river, one charges an extra 1/2 cent sales tax, the other a full cent extra over state.

The dealer was looking at moving out into the township, but too hard to justify payback in tough times: besides, as soon as that happens some town will annex to get the wayward businesses and homeowners back into the tax folds!

HTH does one walk out of a store with a chainsaw or string trimmer without getting caught? Gotta be employee theft...

I thought the same thing myself. I'm betting they are a rental store and the people are not returning them. I stopped by a Stihl dealer/equipment rental (heavy duty equipment) and they where talking about how people have rented bobcats and other equipment for over a year and have not returned them yet. I told them to charge the credit card for the cost of a new unit. If it wasn't stolen then it would be returned shortly after the monthly statement went out.

HTH does one walk out of a store with a chainsaw or string trimmer without getting caught? Gotta be employee theft...

That is what I was thinking but who really knows, doubt anyone would risk their job over theft, at least I hope so!

pretty sure there has to be an inside influence goin on there.... or the thieves are well thought out and planned... there has been a ring like the one mentioned above for flatscreen televisions here...

Stealing an ECHO??? Wow, just shows how desperate and down-and-out some people can get.. Don't they realize that owning an Echo will only make their lives more miserable?

being a ex-con (never got caught thank god, and will never do it again)
what they would do is go into the store when it extremely busy grab a saw take it out to the garden section and put by the fence by where they have cut a hole in the fence.. drive by at night when no one is looking bam!

a nother way i've heard it being done is go out to the garden section and start loading cr@p under the rows of plants at night (this only works if there is no night crew) go in to the garden area and start loading up. the guy i knew that did this walked away with from saws to hand tools to power tools

this posting is to help prevent crime and help companies prevent losses and not to be used as a glide to being a thief and i hold no responsibly to others actions for using this information the wrong way.
don't you love disclaimers?

The guy at the Sears service center was telling me about the tweakers who were stealing from the service center and the Wal-Mart across the street. Theft has been getting way out of control over there lately...

I remember about 10 years ago, my dad was talking to the owner of the local Ace hardware, and he said he lost 10 grand a month to theft. And that was a small store 10 years ago. Imagine what these large box stores can lose in a month...

And its liable to get worse...:mad:

down the street from me a HD about five years ago got two lawn tractors stolen form the front of the store. in the middle of the day, now you wanna talk about some balls to do a stunt like that

down the street from me a HD about five years ago got two lawn tractors stolen form the front of the store. in the middle of the day, now you wanna talk about some balls to do a stunt like that

And I am sure they were either on ebay or craigslist by closing time!

all i know is that they must have been laying low for a long tome because they got caught on camera and they where put in the paper
i think they got away

all i know is that they must have been laying low for a long tome because they got caught on camera and they where put in the paper
i think they got away

We had a bank branch here get robbed so many times they closed it...

And they never caught the guys!

At least they know which ones to steal. Speaking of Ebay why do the CS370, cs400, a few CS450 and Cs600(one just went for $378, if I didn't have over 20 saws already I'd have got that one) show up on there and very few CS530, Cs680 or CS8000 show up. Steve
I am seeing that all those models are stocked at HD, at least on their website. My HD doesn't have the 600 or 450 or others that aren't showing up on ebay. Still, for as many that show up NIB you'd have to wonder if they are coming out of the warehouse or a truck somewhere not from the retail shelves.

I was in Lowe's the other day and noticed they actually had a most stolen list
on the wall near the Returns counter. First time I'd ever seen anything like that.
Mostly cordless power tools on the list but it was meant for employees to be on
lookout for those items while customers are strolling around in the store from
what I read on the poster.

Back