head gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RedlineIt said:
Clearance,

You're still carrying your bandage in your helmet?!

God, but you are old school.

Since as far back as 1989 helmet manufacturers have been telling us to get the first aid ???? out of our hats because it compromises the deflection they've engineered into the plastic.

???? dude, get that out of your hat.

And one other thing, who do you work with that they would forget their plugs or glasses?

Whatever, you work in your world, I work in mine.

ReddlineIt
Red, the helmet manufacturers can get on the end of my German helmet, back '89, whatever, I have heard this bs before as well, it is bs. Compromises the deflection, fairytale. Old school gets dissed here all the time, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Great, Clearance,

You know more about hardhats than the people who made them.

You've exiled yourself to working in the sticks, keep it there.

You wish to learn nothing from this DB. Why participate?

Nothing you know was not known 30 years ago.

You have nothing intelligent or new to add to this DB.

Prove me wrong.

RedlineIt

I don't have to prove anything to you. I assume by db you mean debate, my contribution about logging type hats is good, many young groundsman forget stuff, older guys once in a while, it happens, if you got your hat you got it all. In regards to the myth that pressure bandages compromise the effectivness of hardhats, the distance between the webbing and the shell is about 11/2", the pressure bandage is about 3/8" slightly compressed, but will compress more, and it is soft. Like a WCB guy told me back in '94 "Son, you get hit on the head so hard that your hat is smashed you ain't gonna be looking for anything" He thought that idea was bs as well, but what could an older, long time faller/WCB guy know? The pressure bandage in the hardhat idea is like the hardhat/eye.ear combo in a way, it is always with you, always clean and dry. Seeing as you are questioning my being here, besides advocating dorky hats, whats your contribution?

I just got the stihl hardhat combo thing and I like it, cause if my climber starts yelling at me I can flip the headphones on or off as the case may be!
But, as for not needing to carry other stuff around, the screen isn't supposed to replace safety glasses, or so I have been reliably informed.
Clearance, DB probably refers to "discussion board".

Helmet

Petzel vertex vent with ear plugs (on plastic string att.to helmet) back up peltor muffs for cold weather.Orange safty glasses and add addidas visor for high UV days...looks incredably dorky but my nose was getting burnt.
And I am not really into Fashion....much.Not at work anyway.

Hey Bermie it took about 10 days (from my not so reliable memory) to prune about 40 large Elms at Ross. 2 climbers and groundsman about 4years ago.

foodforests said:
the screen isn't supposed to replace safety glasses, or so I have been reliably informed.

Absolutely true. You are meant to wear safety glasses too. Nobody does though do they?

The only guys I see wearing any sort of additional eye protection around here are guys like me with glasses.

Spectacles don't help because it is the annoying light stuff blowing around that gets in your eyes, and that comes around the side of the glasses anyway.

sawn penn,

Check out www.northsafety.com

Search their site for 65rx.

It's a prescription safety glasses arrangement that clips a separate mini-frame holding your script lenses behind wrap-around safeties, clipped on with a soft rubber nose-piece.

This way your prescription lenses (big dinero) stay out of harms way behind the plastic safety wraps. (Cheap throwaways)

Your optician needs to know what he's doing when he prepares the 65rx insert, as he needs to compensate .2 - .3 diopters for the bend in the frame, depending on your pupil spacing. Any good optician can handle it, and the 65rx insert comes with a pamphlet that explains it.

It's something I helped North Safety develop, and I saw the first prototype at the OHSA trade show in Toronto in 2003, and I've been using it ever since.

If you can't find a North Saftey distributor in your gawd-forsaken butt-hole-of-the-world-country, PM me and I'll get an insert and some frames sent to you. They're cheap, which is the beauty of the whole idea.

Climb high, climb safe, everyone.

RedlineIt

I guess what I was saying is nobody seems to bother with safety glasses and a mesh face shield.

I don't intend to have the extra safety, the spectacles are just there so I can see!

To stop the small stuff from blowing in, you need goggles. Goggles are hot and goggles fog. :(

On this issue of dioptre correction, I scuba dive in one of these: http://www.hydrooptix.com/

They give an amazing view underwater, but they shift your vision a couple of dioptres. Most divers who use them wear contact lenses to make themselves intentionally short sighted (to compensate for the mask). I'm short sighted enough that I can wear the mask without contacts. The Hydrooptix mask is great. I have the same panoramic vision in water as I have in air.

$$$$$

Why would price be an option on safety gear? How much is your head worth? How much is comfort worth? The job is tough enough, why do it in something that is uncomfortable. As far as being unattractive goes, you should see the guy who had his pony tail get caught in one of the pulley's on his mill. Hey Clearence. If it ain't broke buddy.

Rob Murphy said:
Petzel vertex vent with ear plugs (on plastic string att.to helmet) back up peltor muffs for cold weather.Orange safty glasses and add addidas visor for high UV days...looks incredably dorky but my nose was getting burnt.
And I am not really into Fashion....much.Not at work anyway.

Hey Bermie it took about 10 days (from my not so reliable memory) to prune about 40 large Elms at Ross. 2 climbers and groundsman about 4years ago.

Yeah I have the vertex vent too, glasses behind the visor, mainly for the sun!
Those Elms are getting pretty big again, you may well get a call!
Hey Clearance, the helmet brigade have everything attached too you know, it's just some of us decided we needed lighter headgear than a hard hat.

A mcdonald T aluiminum hard hat for my home stuff(now this is old school). Plastic class e one at work.

i'd like to give the vertex types a go... sometimes with the hard hat and visor set up, it gets knocked off, especially when snaking around in pretty dense trees...but i always always keep the pressure bandage in the hard hat....worked in the bush some and this was the place where i knew i would always have it and that it wouldn't get jabbed and punctured by a stick... if felt most safe with it there...especially when working in heli access blocks... been clocked on the bean pretty good with one in my hardhat and don't think it made much of a diff...though out tree planting, some companies have made it mandatory to wear the hard hat which is ??????? ridiculous... those things are not meant to wear for someone who is bending over 1000+ times a day

Vertex, spec's and a box of foam plugs in the toolbox. I buy around 1000 set of plugs every two years or so, they're so cheap I can give them to the grounders when they forget stuff.

Oh, and I've actually forgot my boots once or twice, wearing the comfy slip-ons driving to a job 30-40 miles away. Realized they were not in the truck beofre getting on the freeway bot times though :rolleyes:

I've got the Vertex Vent with Forestry Visor and Muff but I'm not as happy with it as most seem to be. The muffs keep pulling out of the clip in slot on the helmet. I'm thinking about putting a screw through it, but I know drilling holes on the helmet compromises it.

I used an old Stihl hard hat with screen visor and muffs until it took a long fall to the pavement and cracked. No chin strap. The muffs never came lose on it. It was a better connection.

I sure do like the attached visor and muff combination, though. I used a lot of the foam plugs before I got the Stihl combo, but (1) I had a hard time keeping them clean (up the tree, gotta pull them out to hear the groundie, mash them down with dirty hands to get them back in) and (2) its so much easier to just pick up one muff, listen to what the groundie has to say, put it back down and go back to work.

Just wish Petzl would use the old Stihl clip in system instead of the rinky dink little slot they provide for the Forestry combo.

Fireax, I'm with you on the foam ear plugs. They get dirty. John Paul,The ribbed plastic ones with the post are better. I used to use plugs and muffs back when my hearing was damaged from chipping and cutting with nothing(and various concussions and broken ear drums) but now it's just muffs. Husky hard hat, flip visor and muffs. Reading this thread makes me wanna try a helmet. It'll look cool, I'll put a van halen sticker on it!

helmet

i wish there was an inbetween you know hars hat w/ the things for the mufs and cap type visor but the cool chin stap and the side impact protection kinda like the pacfic but e rated

Back