Heated driveway???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save your money, buy a tractor with a front end loader and plow your driveway and utilize the tractor for helping fuel the owb.

We've done a quite a few of these and every one of them quit using the water heat within 2 seasons.

Thanks for the responses- I think I will avoid doing this, as you all raise very good points. Too much wood, cost, but the refreezing aspect is one I hadn't thought of. Where the concrete will stop is still a gravel road on a downhill slope, it would be a skating rink long after the rest ofthe snow is melted.

I get the whole cost involved with a driveway, and I know it wouldn't be worth it to me.

I wonder if it would be worth it for sidewalks only? If I put some 2" insulation down between the ground and the concrete it might help. And I'm not looking to have it melt everything. I just want it to help with the ice.

Do a size, material take off , design and cost first. It's not cheap. Between the glycol, 2" foam board underneath AND sides, pipe, exchanger big enough, mixing valve PROPERLY sized and manifolds. Most stop right there. Do it right or you'll have problems like mentioned above from doing it wrong. Expensive mistake. You also need to factor in drainage or ice dams will be an issue. If setup correct you will melt the snow before it ever accumulates. Systems are designed to turn on at the very first flake, if you turn it on after even a half inch has accumulated it quadruples the time and heat needed to melt the slab. Some systems idle when temp is below freezing and humidity is above a set point. This is how you will use the least energy and clear the slab the quickest. Viega, uponor have articles and how to design PDF's online. Good luck, pre planning prevents poor projects

Latest posts

Back