Heavy rains in Texas.. the good and bad for our firewood business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckydozenfarm

THE MAN OF STIHL
Reaction score
Ok guys so we have had heavy rain for the past 2 weeks seemingly off and on every day. While I never like to complain about the rain after our 2011 "mega-drought" across our state, it sure sucked getting all our equipment and gear out for a hour of cutting last Saturday. We didn't have the tractor off the trailer and the saws warmed up before we had to make a mad scramble to move it all across the creek, so it wouldn't be stranded on the other side. On the other hand, the rain came with heavy winds and blew down some good oaks that we now get to cut out. The landowner only wanted dead trees and blow downs removed which there were plenty of those already. Anyway, I sure wish we could pipe all the water out of this guy's property and send it to those guys in California.

We are "droughty" here but have been getting T-cells dropping light showers to down pours for a week. Very spotty where it hits. I went out to the wood grove Saturday only to find that it had been hit with a gully washer. Way to wet to even think about driving in the field. Went back today after 4 days of dry weather and merrily drove out to the cutting site. Decided I had better stop and exam it before entering. Good thing I did, still very wet with high water marks a foot up on logs. Bad thing? I stopped a foot too soon or a foot too late with one wheel in a muddy spot. Even packing brush behind the wheel didn't help. Had to get the farmer to pull me a few feet to drier ground. That's when I found out that my old 89 F150 either is a 1x (no limited slip) or a worn out limited slip. Just the one wheel spinning and turned to an instant "mud" slick.

Harry K

Ok guys so we have had heavy rain for the past 2 weeks seemingly off and on every day. While I never like to complain about the rain after our 2011 "mega-drought" across our state, it sure sucked getting all our equipment and gear out for a hour of cutting last Saturday. We didn't have the tractor off the trailer and the saws warmed up before we had to make a mad scramble to move it all across the creek, so it wouldn't be stranded on the other side. On the other hand, the rain came with heavy winds and blew down some good oaks that we now get to cut out. The landowner only wanted dead trees and blow downs removed which there were plenty of those already. Anyway, I sure wish we could pipe all the water out of this guy's property and send it to those guys in California.
Not so loud. Southern California already imports water from as far away as the Colorado River, the Sierra Nevada mountains and the Columbia River up in Washington/Oregon border area. You don't want to be the next to send water to LA.

I would think the kind of rain you guy are getting in Texas is real bad for the firewood business. Wood floats! All your hard work might end up out in the ocean.

That is some bad weather Texas has been getting. We have only had one real bad system come through Baton Rouge on April 27th which took down trees and had three tornado touchdowns south of us. I got a water oak (already split and stacked) and a red oak (which I still need to split) out of it. And we have had Spring rain since then as well. It looks like this will be the first dry week in a while.

And today is the official start of Hurricane Season...

Not so loud. Southern California already imports water from as far away as the Colorado River, the Sierra Nevada mountains and the Columbia River up in Washington/Oregon border area. You don't want to be the next to send water to LA.

We don't import water from the Columbia River. There's always been talk of a pipeline from there to here but so far nothing has been done. I doubt seriously if it will ever happen.
The Sierra Nevada Mountains are already in California so water usage from that area is already being done.
California's share of the Colorado River water goes primarily to southern California but other than that I don't know much about it.

Back