Hedge apple post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebrick43

Life is all about big saws
Reaction score
Has anyone milled hedge before. AKA Osage orange. Many years ago I was given permission to cut a fence row of hedge trees. Not little mamby pamby ones MIT the straightest (in the trunk) and 30" diameter. I had never seen one let alone a whole fence row of them. Evedently they were planted and pruned by the owners great grandfather in the 1880's as the story goes. Well I cut one and was going to split out post just like the pioneers did with white oak and let's just say it was a failure. While the trunks were straight the grain was not and it took 5 years to split all of the rounds as I didn't have a splitter. Now I have a 660 and a timber jig but am wondering if I really want to cut post out. It hell to buck. But the Menonite heritage in me would love a forever post in a nice square shape. Farm next to me had some small line post removed of hedge a year or two ago, gentalman was 84 and fenced the lot in 47 after he returned from the war. Wire was mostly gone but the small spindly hedge line post were still good! I need 8"corner post for high tensile. The power pole post the previous owner put in in 2001 are already rotten.

wheeeewwwww,,sounds like you hit the mother lode!!!since that stuff is hard as h,, wonder if youll have to run carbide tipped blades,,as stock might dull wayyy fast???

The hedge is tough enough to cut when green. After sitting a few years, it is really tough. I wouldn't tackle it with a chain saw, but a sharp blade on a band saw mill would get through it. You'll never have to replace them, though.

Isn't that beautiful wood? All yellowish orangy and stuff? I would make lumber, and use creosote posts :)

You may want to post that information on some of the Traditional bow sites. There are guy who make self bows that would give there eye teeth for Osage like that. As far as the wood color it is yellow/orange when you first split it. I will turn a soft brown color with age no matter what kind of finish you use.

I cut 3 hedge trees for my uncle to make bows out of and it stretched my chain to the point of almost ruining it. The chain was sharp on a 24 in stihl 390, the hedge was still standing green, but it was hell. My dad just found a big one that he suggested I mill. I don't think I want to ruin my chain to get it. I wouldn't even think about cutting dried hedge. I don't think it would be worth it to try to square the posts. My other (retired) uncle used to make furniture out of it "bekan rustic furniture", he said everything he used had to be diamond tipped? or it would dull too fast.
http://www.bekanrusticfurniture.com/history.html

I cut 3 hedge trees for my uncle to make bows out of and it stretched my chain to the point of almost ruining it. The chain was sharp on a 24 in stihl 390, the hedge was still standing green, but it was hell. My dad just found a big one that he suggested I mill. I don't think I want to ruin my chain to get it. I wouldn't even think about cutting dried hedge. I don't think it would be worth it to try to square the posts. My other (retired) uncle used to make furniture out of it "bekan rustic furniture", he said everything he used had to be diamond tipped? or it would dull too fast.
http://www.bekanrusticfurniture.com/history.html
Wow...I love Hedge!

I cut hedge for firewood... I don't know how you guys have the problems with chains you have. I use a Stihl brand chain and full chisel 90% of the time. The trunks i DO cut with semi-chisel most of the time because it seems like sand/dirt works up the bottom 5' of the tree over the years. Cut several 30" plus tree's and seems like every other tank of fuel i change chains because of dullness. I've cut loads and loads of fence posts out of hedges too. Usually use a 8-10 inch piece 10 foot long for corners and 4 inch for line posts. Maybe your hedge tree's are different than mine.... :)

You don't have problems with the hedge burning too hot? I have tried burning our cured hedge and it will make the stovepipe glow, of course my old stove probably has too much draft. That's not mentioning the sparks!

I was going to suggest that maybe the area the hedge came from would lead to more dirt in the bark, but you are from KS too. Mine comes from NCKS by Belleville. I am sure there is really no difference. It seemed like it dulled a lot faster because Im used to other wood. If yours dulls a chain every 2 tanks of fuel that sounds about right, that equals fast dulling to me. I get a lot more mileage out of my chains when I cut other hardwoods.

You don't have problems with the hedge burning too hot? I have tried burning our cured hedge and it will make the stovepipe glow, of course my old stove probably has too much draft. That's not mentioning the sparks!

I was going to suggest that maybe the area the hedge came from would lead to more dirt in the bark, but you are from KS too. Mine comes from NCKS by Belleville. I am sure there is really no difference. It seemed like it dulled a lot faster because Im used to other wood. If yours dulls a chain every 2 tanks of fuel that sounds about right, that equals fast dulling to me. I get a lot more mileage out of my chains when I cut other hardwoods.
My chains have always been that way even in oak. 2 Tanks of fuel and i switch them out. I cut around the wellington area and it sure does burn hot, but i choke the hell out of it and it works just fine. I generally burn 12 pieces of wood a day. 2" by 4" by 20-24" on a COLD day, half that if its above 30.

How much does the carbon chains runs...I think I might have a candidate or two...for them? lol
I LOVE HEDGE!
Osage Orange.jpg

I cut Osage all day Saturday.
With 2 saws and one chain each.
Both the Farm Boss & the ms650 had
Stihl chains. Mostly green but a lot of 4-6" dead limbs.
I never have to much trouble with Osage.
I hand sharpen my chains.
Dave

I cut Osage all day Saturday.
With 2 saws and one chain each.
Both the Farm Boss & the ms650 had
Stihl chains. Mostly green but a lot of 4-6" dead limbs.
I never have to much trouble with Osage.
I hand sharpen my chains.
Dave
Hey Dave...tell me how did yer Farm Boss do?...290 I presume?
Thinking about trading my 034 for a Farm Boss...just was wondering...are ya running 20" chisel?

Thanks
Reg

Reggie

The Farm Boss does good I have had it 3 yrs +. I like it real well. Yes 20" bar with a RM3 semi chisel
We were always a Poulan bunch still have 8 or 9 old ones. But as we all know they changed. So found the Farm Boss on sale so I tried it, been very happy.
Its just a bit heavy for trimming. So I have to either tune up one of my old XXV Poulan's or stop by the Stihl shop.

Dave

Hey Dave...tell me how did yer Farm Boss do?...290 I presume?
Thinking about trading my 034 for a Farm Boss...just was wondering...are ya running 20" chisel?

Thanks
Reg
Geez...what was there to dislike about this post...my grammar, fantasy obsession over an 034? :laugh:
But, troll fairies are a temperamental creatures...;)

Latest posts

Back