Held a 440 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohh no not another flippy cap thread......... I got a flippy capped 440....... I only ran it once untill it ran out of fuel. now i cant figure out how the caps work so it just sits.
give it to a 5 year old ,seems they where invented by, and intended for that age group :hmm3grin2orange:

I've got a couple 044's and they're my most used saw. One of them evolved to have flippy caps. Earlier in the year my groundie damaged the gas tank so I ordered a new 'chassis' which has the tank integrated. You cant get the original 044 chassis anymore so I was kind of surprised when it came with the flip cap. I quite like the flip caps. Did the changeover but then the saw had flip for gas and screw for oil.

Last month I got a rebuilt 440 engine from a US rebuilder for less than the cost of gaskets and crank seals in aus. I was looking at rebuilding that old 044 because it was getting long in the tooth... would have needed P&C, carb kit, seals, impulse etc etc. New 440 engine also had a flip cap, so now I've got a frankenstein 044 badged flip cap saw. Runs great with about 40 or 50 tanks through it now. Very strong puller.

Shaun

Where's this dealer with the NOS 440?

And what's this about flippy caps? McCullochs never had flippy caps!

give it to a 5 year old ,seems they where invented by, and intended for that age group :hmm3grin2orange:

maybe but id say the people that cant work them may be in the new born catagory.

Last edited:
them flip caps would sure work better if stihl put a screwdriver slot in them for a bar wrench to loosen them up

My dealer swaps out the new style flippy cap things for the old style tanks all the time. Just box up all your saws and send them to me as soon as I go get a P.O. box.

in reality, they don't fail often.
not wanting to buy one of the best chainsaws ever made in the history of chainsaws just because what you have read around here about a very minor issue, is looking a little imature on your part.

Nothing to do with what I have read I have had a total of 5 oil caps and two gas caps to fail they are junk.

Nothing to do with what I have read I have had a total of 5 oil caps and two gas caps to fail they are junk.

any time i have seen a failure, it was mostly user error. not making sure the cap and opening are clean is the biggest culprit. forcing is the other. i've seen them just plain worn out, however for the cost of a new cap, i have no idea why people don't have an extra or 2 around.

440 is ok i have one but go with 046 mag or 660 0r 084 have them to out of all of them i like o46 mag is the best saw

if the flip caps are the one reason your not buying a 440 then your not really that in love with the 440. minor detail if that was really the saw of your dreams. get a 660! flip cap free

How true..
Doesn't make sense, not to buy the 440, saw of your dreams because of flip caps..

Latest posts

Back