MS170 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRTermite

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I asked a Stihl dealer/parts counter for a oil pump as mine is stingy on the oil. Parts Guy said the pump is not replaceable. Ebay shows them to be the same as the ms250 (Chinese stuff) I have replaced them in 025 and MS250saws. Parts guy looked it up while I was on the phone and verified it as a not replaceable part. I don't want to tear into it if it will be a futile effort. I will be going to the beg for manuals for more info but thought some experienced advice would be helpful. I know the saw is basically expendable but I like the light weight for where I am using it and it doesn't flare my carpal tunnel up which is a big plus.

Don't think you can do anything. I have an 017 that is the same.
I use a light bar oil in it.

Not doubting you but where/how did you acquire the optional .65 oiler part # 1123 640 3201. I didn't see it on the PDF . (I might learn something) and will the oil pump for a 025/MS250 interchange with the MS170 to give the 170 a better oil flow? I am trying to understand the chinese knock offs listing them on ebay as one part fits all. I don't have the old 025 oilers to compare to (If I do have them I wouldn't have a clue where to look)

Not doubting you but where/how did you acquire the optional .65 oiler part # 1123 640 3201. I didn't see it on the PDF . (I might learn something) and will the oil pump for a 025/MS250 interchange with the MS170 to give the 170 a better oil flow? I am trying to understand the chinese knock offs listing them on ebay as one part fits all. I don't have the old 025 oilers to compare to (If I do have them I wouldn't have a clue where to look)

The 170 and 250 share the same oiler as standard, same part number, the first I gave you, but the 250 also shows the higher output oiler, which has the second part number I gave you.
hope that helps

The 170 and 250 share the same oiler as standard, same part number, the first I gave you, but the 250 also shows the higher output oiler, which has the second part number I gave you.
hope that helps
Most certainly helped.. Knowing there is something to look for is important to finding it.
Thanks

Not sure why the stihl guy said it wasnt a replaceable part, more like he could not be bothered to look into it.

let us know how it all goes, and how much better it oils once you replace it.
Not the first time he has tried to mislead me.
I most likely am in the process of screwing up. I ordered a Chinesium pump, but won't put it in for a while. I may need to use other saws to finish my project due to time. Wish I worked half as hard as I used to..
AND YES I will Update my results when I get some ..
If the cheap (Chinesium) pumps are totally worthless I still have time to do the OEM now that I have more info to work with.
Any bad experiences I should hear about?

I took out the pump and cleaned things up then back together and waiting for a clutch drum in the mail tomorrow That way I can convert to a rim sprocket. The spur is worn badly. will see how it works come Saturday.

I can not get the reason why he said it is not a replaceable part. Just get the correct part number and find a good replacement.

I can not get the reason why he said it is not a replaceable part. Just get the correct part number and find a good replacement.
The 170 was so similar to the 025 that there is no way he found in print what he was trying to push off on me... I never asked him if it could be done I just told him the Part I needed for what my saw was and away he went. I have done 025 pumps but wasn't going to argue about 170 saws until I knew more about them.

Latest posts

Back