Hello and help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettabaker

Reaction score
I've searched this site over the years for information but never posted. I have an old Husqvarna 55 that currently needs a top end. The kits I am finding are showing a 10mm piston pin and mine measures 9.9mm. Is this considered a 10mm pin when advertising or is there a version that use a smaller pin? It currently has a Mahle piston in it and I have no idea if they used a smaller pin and a small end bearing with smaller ID.
Also, are there any aftermarket kits to avoid? I use a chainsaw occasionally on my property, not for a living.
Thanks

I've searched this site over the years for information but never posted. I have an old Husqvarna 55 that currently needs a top end. The kits I am finding are showing a 10mm piston pin and mine measures 9.9mm. Is this considered a 10mm pin when advertising or is there a version that use a smaller pin? It currently has a Mahle piston in it and I have no idea if they used a smaller pin and a small end bearing with smaller ID.
Also, are there any aftermarket kits to avoid? I use a chainsaw occasionally on my property, not for a living.
Thanks
I have never heard of any different sizes in that series of saws. I have an old 50 that I put a 55 top end on and they were the same. If you only need a piston, I would get a meteor.

Thanks!, I need the jug too.
Have you tried to clean it up or does it have deep scratches in it? The aftermarket ones are hit and miss. I have one on another saw and it doesn't have near the compression that the OEM cylinder and meteor piston one has. It does run very good just not as much power as it should have.

Have you tried to clean it up or does it have deep scratches in it? The aftermarket ones are hit and miss. I have one on another saw and it doesn't have near the compression that the OEM cylinder and meteor piston one has. It does run very good just not as much power as it should have.
Nah, I toasted it. Vacuum leak, ran lean, started dieing and like an idiot kept going to get tree out of the way. Cylinder is shot.

You want to know why it leaned out so not to repeat.
The impulse pipe and plastic partition that the carb fastens are suspects. Fuel line too.
Good little saws imo.

Nah, I toasted it. Vacuum leak, ran lean, started dieing and like an idiot kept going to get tree out of the way. Cylinder is shot.
As 5155 said, you have to correct the leak, I would replace the crank seals while you're working on it. My old 50 was leaking a little bit on the clutch side. And if you do all that, it's a good time to do a base gasket delete, timing advance and muffler mod. They are good saws and they respond well to those simple mods.

Thanks
Yes, 9.9 is considered 10mm.

The aftermarket ones are hit and miss.
I fitted a Farmertech 55 c/p on a 51 that I gave to my dad, I checked it out real good, the ports and plating were spot on, I measured the ports comparing them against the OEM cyl and they were spot on. It has plenty of power and my dad loves it.

Thanks
9.9 what? 9.96? 9.98? It's a 10mm pin.

Back