Hello from a newbie, my fleet of junk saws!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepin Jon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, new here. I thought I would share my fleet of junk with you. Don't laugh too hard at some of them!

My felling saw, a Mac 3.4ci Eager Beaver 20". It was my Dads saw. It needs a new frame but otherwise starts and cuts with ease.
0417111324.jpg

My "mid size" saw, a Craftsman(Poulan) 2.5ci, 18". I pulled it out of a trash can along the side of the road. I picked up a new carb off of ebay, a new chain and some new fuel line and it runs like a champ! Cuts it arse off for a "throw-away"!
0417111323.jpg

My limbing saw, an old Homie XL. I found this one in the trash as well. Rebuilt the carb and some new fuel line and its very dependable. I had one like this when I was a kid to help my dad cut firewood with. I keep it for the memories more than anything else!
0417111322.jpg

My newest acquisition, a Stihl 009. I bought it off a friend for $50. He took the bar off and couldn't get it back on and it was leaking fuel at the cap. I fixed with a good cleaning and a $0.89 "O" ring!
0417111330.jpg

My wish list includes a couple of new ECHO's, maybe a 600 with a 27" bar and something in the mid size range with a 18" bar. I own a lawn care business and the ECHO power equipment has never let me down.

Welcome Jon. Dont let anyone tell you its junk...its yours and you made it work. With those skills you will be able to get all sorts of good stuff folks dont want anymore.

Share your progress...I am sure you will have more saws before too long.

Welcome to AS! Looks like you already have Chainsaw Aquisition Disorder :chainsaw:.

You got 'em cheap + you got 'em runnin' for very little $$ + they cut wood = Not Junk.

I like the 009/011 series, very ballsy saws for their size! Just keep an eye on the air filter, I learned that the hard way.

The Craftsman looks familiar. Since Craftsman doesn't make their own saws, I wonder what make & model it is.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Half of my lawn care equipment is stuff that others gave up on. I'm a diesel mechanic by day and weekend warrior at the lawn care thing. My hobbies(besides my Jeeps) is fixing junk and making it dependable. I got lucky on the 009, it was a real gem under all the dirt.

Yup, finest kind. Turn trash into treasure.:msp_thumbup:..You got that 67L36Driver... That is how I got some of my saws or really cheap.. ..But my stihls and one husky where not cheap.

That 009 looks mint in that pic, i like it! It will be interesting to see how many saws you have a year from now. LOL

The Echo 600p is a sweet saw you can find them for about $300 on ebay. Homedepot is trying to peddle them for $580!!!!

I had a smaller echo (cs 370) and i regret trading it, was a great saw. I do love my stihl though.

Btw dont let anyone tell you they are "junk" saws. Your saws are making you money, i got crap that i had a small echo, but that saw paid for itself a few times!

I love it when people rescue something from the trash pile. For the average homeowner, it is as cheap to replace something as it is to have it fixed. My wife pulled a little Stihl BG55 blower out of our neighbor's trash pile. I put a new fuel line and filters on it and rebuilt the carb and it runs like new. I have about $40-$50 in it.

Hay.... I save old suff too! Look at my sig. I don't have over $400.00 in the whole works. The saw I have the most in ($85.00)I'm curently no using which is a Jonsereds 49sp.

If you ever take that 009 down to the piston and rod, the big end roller bearings will fall out, one by one. Then you'll put them back in one by one! Experence......is how I learned!

Welcome

Welcome to the saw addiction support group.:laugh: Those aint junk at all all of those were back before EPA killed the chain saw :laugh:. The craftsman is a Poulan. I love other peoples trash to, get lots of goodies that way :rock: Used to get all my saw chain out of a local tree company dumpster,once it was dull it was tossed a side as no good,learned how to sharpen chain by hand this way :msp_mellow:

Welcome to AS!:cheers:

Don't listen to all the talk about "junk" saws. Any saw that runs and works well for you is a good saw. People have made fun of my little macs too but it hasen't discouraged me.

You worked on them yourself, got them running, now you have functional saws for very little investment and some good old fashioned sweat equity. You deserve to be very proud of yourself for that. It's much more than many people would be willing or able to do. My hat is off to you!:clap:

Thanks all!

I just noticed today that my homie needs a sprocket! I had to take it down to push the fuel line back on the carb and noticed the excessive wear. I may have the wrong chain on it causing this. Oregon calls for a S48 and I have a S53 on there:dizzy:

Time to go sprocket/chain shopping!

Latest posts

Back