help a newbie with his wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercut469

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. We (my dad and I) had a wood boiler put in the garage of his house this summer. This year we basically used whatever firewood I was able to beg borrow or steal from neighbor's with downed trees that allowed me to stock up 4 cords of seasoned firewood for winter. It was a mixture of maple, white birch, spruce, a little poplar.

For next winter I'm going to attempt to cut our wood from my grandfather's woodlot. My question is this: In order to get longer burn times is it okay to use bigger diameter sticks? This year I split anything that was over about 4 inches and I sort of regret that, I wish I had some 6 to 10 inch non-split dry hardwood for night time burns. Is that okay to do next year or is it just too hard for the wood to season unless I split it?

Sounds like you're on the right track!

Sounds like you're on the right track!

Currently I'm burning dead fall. It's really dry, solid wood and if it'll go in to the stove I will not split it. However, if I was cutting green and wanted to burn it the next winter, I would probably split anything over 6". Others might say smaller.

If you want to have some larger pieces, you might want to let them dry two seasons.?? What are some other the other guys thoughts?

Here is a thread on stacking wood...but it talks about what you're asking about: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=42205

Dan

Last edited:
Supercut, to answer your question, the pieces you split would burn longer if left whole. As for seasoning, it may take a little longer to dry out being whole, but like I said you will get a longer burn time. I usually like to use the round pieces for over night burns because they last longer. You can experiment too with combinations of split and unsplit pieces to see what works for you and your stove.

Hey everyone. We (my dad and I) had a wood boiler put in the garage of his house this summer. This year we basically used whatever firewood I was able to beg borrow or steal from neighbor's with downed trees that allowed me to stock up 4 cords of seasoned firewood for winter. It was a mixture of maple, white birch, spruce, a little poplar.

For next winter I'm going to attempt to cut our wood from my grandfather's woodlot. My question is this: In order to get longer burn times is it okay to use bigger diameter sticks? This year I split anything that was over about 4 inches and I sort of regret that, I wish I had some 6 to 10 inch non-split dry hardwood for night time burns. Is that okay to do next year or is it just too hard for the wood to season unless I split it?

It will give you longer burn times, but generally doesnt burn as hot, my experience. Split wood burns better in my opinion. I generally split anything over 6"

I dont have an OWB though. From what I understand you can put some serious wood in those. Might not hurt to leave some bigger rounds.

I won't split what I can reasonably handle and put into the boiler. I cut earlier in the summer and was burning 14" rounds with no problem. They would season better split, no doubt, but as long as they are somewhat seasoned...at least 4 months IMHO I'm good to go. I have some monsters too that I split up and I get a much longer burn time with the full rounds. It is easier too for me to put on a few big pieces rather than a whole bunch of little ones. Just my opinion of course.:cheers:

PS: I'm talking wood boiler (OWB) only. If I'm cutting my little 1/3 cord for the fireplace, then I will split down anything over 6".

Last edited:
I love full rounds for long overnight burns...It does take longer for full round to season, but if you are cutting standing dead wood the tops are already on their way to being ready for the stove...Good luck

I split almost everything, I find the rounds hold moisture for a long time. I cut in the spring and burn in the fall, so rounds don't get a fair chance to dry here.

If you can, get some larger diameter logs and then you can have your cake and eat it too.......larger chunks and still split.

Last edited:
Back