Help choosing a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneLogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been looking at the new Husqvarna 550XP and the Husqvarna 562XP but the 550XP is less money then that XP. I want a saw that I don't have to spend a ton of money on. I also love Stihl's too so I could be tempted to get one of those too. Any help will be appreciated! Pro's and Con's of the 550XP and the 562XP and some other Stihl's that range in similar cc size ?

I was outside bucking logs this morning using both my 550 and 372 and I gotta tell you pound for pound that 550 whiped the 372 I was very impressed with it and I only have a few tanks through it. Very powerful for so little weight.

I have been looking at the new Husqvarna 550XP and the Husqvarna 562XP but the 550XP is less money then that XP. I want a saw that I don't have to spend a ton of money on. I also love Stihl's too so I could be tempted to get one of those too. Any help will be appreciated! Pro's and Con's of the 550XP and the 562XP and some other Stihl's that range in similar cc size ?

Stihl doesn't offer any really competetive models in the 50 and 60cc classes at the moment, so just forget that option. The Stihls are first generation "strato" saws, and too heavy and clumcy handling. :msp_wink:

Your pro husky and stihl saws are both good saws. If you would tell us the size and amount of wood you cut, this would help in making a recommendation for a saw purchase.

Well I am looking for a 40cc to almost a 60cc saw for limbing and such. I allready have my main falling saw but I am looking for something almost as a back up saw.

The 545 is a pro design and considerably cheaper 50cc option to the 550. Limbing and light work it would be hard to note any real difference.

Well I am looking for a 40cc to almost a 60cc saw for limbing and such. I allready have my main falling saw but I am looking for something almost as a back up saw.

I have an MS-261 which I'm very happy with. :msp_thumbup:

According to Stihl, it's a great limbing and clearing saw.

Well-if money is what you want to save, look at a used saw. Lots to choose from in a used saw!:rock:

I really like the 550 and 545 can't think of a better saw for general firewood, felling and limbing <20" diameter stuff its really a great saw. I second the 545 cost savings. Having run both I was unable to tell the difference. PM me if you are interested in a lightly used one.

Stihl doesn't offer any really competetive models in the 50 and 60cc classes at the moment, so just forget that option. The Stihls are first generation "strato" saws, and too heavy and clumcy handling. :msp_wink:

Lol..how is skylogger doin with those two 550xp's with the scored piston and cylinders.:potstir:

Lol..how is skylogger doin with those two 550xp's with the scored piston and cylinders.:potstir:

Heck. I'd buy a husky auto tune over a stihl if I didn't have to carry the owners manual in my pocket!:msp_w00t:

I concur. How clumsy would a blown up 550 XP handle with the chain brake locked trying to manually saw a log like a cross-cut saw?

IMO for 50cc=stihl ms 261, 60cc=husky 562xp. I don't know but you read a lot of great reviews of the 562xp on Husky's website, conversely the 550xp not so much. Good luck with your decision.:msp_biggrin:

If in doubt, and wanting brand new, go larger, get the 562. For one general duty main saw, no replacement for displacement (before porting obviously). You are a young guy, you can tote the small amount weight difference. Price difference spread out over years of service is negligible.

I would assume for a smaller saw to take out with you you could grab anything used in the 40 cc range, one of those ryobi/redmax saws or a smaller echo or..whatever..keep your eyes peeled for an older poulan s25cva or similar. You can still find those cheap.

If in doubt, and wanting brand new, go larger, get the 562. For one general duty main saw, no replacement for displacement (before porting obviously). You are a young guy, you can tote the small amount weight difference. Price difference spread out over years of service is negligible.

I would assume for a smaller saw to take out with you you could grab anything used in the 40 cc range, one of those ryobi/redmax saws or a smaller echo or..whatever..keep your eyes peeled for an older poulan s25cva or similar. You can still find those cheap.

I agree most people make the mistake of not buying big enough the first go round.

Thanks everyone, I have been looking deeper and deeper into the Stihl 261's. They look like they are extremely great saws and I have also looked at the Husqvarna 435 and the Husqvarna 440 too. I'll keep doing reserach and looking around until I find the one I like.

Latest posts

Back