help choosing a Splitting Maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes brute force is the only answer, and the Monster maul will rarely ever stick in a round, more often it bounces off (Sycamore anyone?) I think I got my Monster maul stuck once, and beat it through with a 20# sledge through a tough, gnarly hunk of oak. I felt like the Man after that, I pwned that oak round!

I've gotta say, my ol' fiberglass handled sears craftsman maul has split 4 to 6 cords a year for the last 10 years and will probably do the same for at least 10 more years. I just look where the cracks are and bash on it till it splits. Bigger stuff, say 20 in or larger I just cut the pieces shorter if need be.

I've gotta say, my ol' fiberglass handled sears craftsman maul has split 4 to 6 cords a year for the last 10 years and will probably do the same for at least 10 more years. I just look where the cracks are and bash on it till it splits. Bigger stuff, say 20 in or larger I just cut the pieces shorter if need be.

Try ripping those big rounds with your saw. Do the same thing with tough, gnarly rounds. You'll want at least a 50 cc saw with an 18" bar to do it effectively.

Anything I can't fit into my stove with out using a chainsaw gets broken down as much as possible then taken up the road to a OWB and tossed in or onto the guy's pile. Even though he usually doesn't want it he needs it since he's pushing 80 and in bad health and not able to get around as well as he would like to. It make my life easier because I can dispose of chunks that are too warped for me to mess with and it helps him out:D.

Another vote for Monster Maul. I've had mine since the late 70's or early 80's. Tried a couple gimmicky things back then, but settled on this. Even when using the hydraulic splitter, I keep it handy. Very useful and easy to tote to the woods in case there is a chunk too large for me to pick up to load the trailer. It will give a set of shoulders if you use it a lot. Just take it easy the first few times or you will have some sore muscles. With proper technique you can generate some awesome force...and no broken handles.

I have a monster maul and find that my 6 pound hickory handle splitting maul will split almost anything the monster will without tiring me out as much. Technique is much more important than brute force in my experience.

Anyone used that Helko Splitting Axe? They sure are proud of it. Making my Xmas list here as well.

Yup I have the Helko Tomahawk (plastic handle) version. Like it a lot. Only other thing i have used is an 8lb maul and when I busted the bit on that i got the Helko. Seems to work about the same but have a lot less vibration transmitted to my hands and you can swing the thing FAST! I even nicked(1/8in deep) the handle with my little hatch (don't ask) and figured it was done for and got mad and swung it as hard as i could at a big old round a bunch of times and it didn't break so i figued it was good for a while. Still going after a year of having the nick with no problems.

My next purchase is going to be more wedges though. Seems that if you can't split it with the Helko probly wouldn't split it with the 8lb maul either.

SS

My father-in-law backed his truck over my old maul and got me a Gransfors Bruks splitting maul to replace it. The thing rocks, sharp as hell and at 5lbs can be used all day. I guess they are semi-expensive or someone told me haven't looked, but it is a nice maul with good balance, which is more important in my book then a lot of weight.

You're forgetting that the monster maul has a much wider head and cutting angle than most mauls. This, coupled with the weight gives the mechanical advantage that makes the monster maul work better in tough wood. I find that there is a point where trying to beat a tough round apart with an 8 pound maul is tougher on my body than using the monster maul and getting the job done with fewer hits (and I can hit the same place more than once consistently:) ). I don't love swinging the monster maul but it gets the job done when needed.

Also, the splitting force when splitting wood is directed out, perpendicular to the direction of the maul's travel, not down (...I think). And A=m/s^2 or A=m*s^-2 NOT A=(m/s)^2 so doubling the speed does not quadruple the force, it doubles it.

Scott

As to the Monster Maul... I agree somewhat. I still pull out my monster maul for some stubborn splitting work. For example, I like it for cracking big rounds. That said, the design of the lighter splitting maul is also designed to transfer the energy of the blow out to the sides just like the monster maul.

As to the physics... I should have said "Kinetic Energy" rather than "force" for the quantity that quadruples, but the point remains the same. Obviously the design of the tool and other variables come into play, but all else being equal, it is better to increase the speed of the swing than it is to increase the weight of the tool by the same proportion. See here: http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/energy_kinetic.htm

Adam

for the past 4 years, i hand split around 15 face chords(13 inchers) per season, mostly hardwoods. i have tried a 10 pounder (or was it 12 lbs? anyway) to test my gusto...well after an 1 1/2hr of intense work i was spent for the day... Now at 45yrs 6 feet, 180 lbs and not in the best of shape, i thought i did pretty good. until i tried an 8 lbs maul, wow i could swing that thing for around 3hrs before being spent and as a bonus got a little shy of 3 times the pile of wood compared to try one. Now, i just about only swing the 6 pounder all day with great efficiency and still have gas left to properly stack the pile. mind you experience and technique helps, i don't try to split a 24 incher right smack center, it ain't gonna happen, instead you whack around the edges, eyeball the round for teeltale signs of weaknesses and use them to your advantage. when i do get really stuck, i shoulder-lift the whole chebang then with legs and arms swing it vertically, turn it bottoms up, and let it come crashing down... i thouroghly enjoy the cracking sound of the wood yeilding, its a thrill really! And it entertains the neighboors cause i live in big city... they always watch in awe and typically suggest i go get a hydraulic splitter! they will never get that i really enjoy the destructive-constructive aspect of messing with wood...ok enough rambling. On another aspect of hand splitting is precision: i noticed that with the big maul i land it within two inches of my target and thats not good enough while with the six pounder i can land it under a quarter (usally much less) inch of that crack. the physics described earlier is right on the ball; all else being equal if you double the speed you square the "impact force", if you double the mass you only double the "impact force". For the really narly stuff i simply rip it with the chainsaw as needed. As for body technique don't forget to concentrate and use your abdominal muscles on the down swing, you will feel it when you get it right cause you'll just about lift yourself off the ground when done right, the impact power difference is amazing compare with a pure arm swing. anyway this was my first post, i really like this site, hope to get more time to read through all the good stuff there is here!...
Hope this helps, enjoy!
alain

I put a Helko Tomahawk 2300G Splitting axe on my Christmas list... Hoorah!

Ian

Well, I didn't get my axe. The wifey said she couldn't bring herself to buy it. I opened up the toe of my boot with my regular axe a few weeks ago and now she won't help me with toe cutting equipment... Let's give a Huzzah! for Steel Toe boots ! I would have spent some time in the ER if it weren't for that metal cap.

In any case, I just ordered my new Helko 2300g toe separator. :clap: Can't wait to give it a swing... with safety boots on of course.

Ian

Latest posts

Back