Help deciding between Stihl 241 m-tronic, 261, and 261 m-tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you guys that are saying " dont go with the ms241c", have you run one yet?????

Hustihler, check out the build thread that brad Snelling did on the ms241c. I bought the stock saw from the video's and he did a muffler mod for me on the saw. I shared my experience in his build thread and posted videos comparing it to my 550XP. In the video's, the 241 is clearly faster in all different sizes of red oak that i was cutting. She is definitley a screamer and you can feel that its lighter than the 550XP. I instantley fell in love with the 241 and was very impressed with the m-tronic feel. The saw has more power than you think.

I went as far as running 2 different bar and chain combo's on the 550XP. I ran 18" .325 and 16" 3/8. The 241 still was faster.

Then everyone said a muffler modded 550XP would feel alot better. Guess what? Still not impressed. The saw sounds much louder. I widened the stock port and gave it some fish gills in the front. Ive ran it with the 3/8's setup and still have to try the .325 setup.

My vote goes to the ms241c. You only live once. Plus, after you run it, you will prob want to sell all your 50cc saws and buy another m-tronic!!! Like a ms362c lolololol.

Muahahahahahahahahahaha.
Thank you for your post, this is the exact type of feedback I'm looking for. I guess I do kinda have my mind set on replacing my non-mtronic 261 with a 241, just a little hesitant that I might regret choosing the 241 over a 261 m-tronic. Another member was nice enough to forward me a link to that exact 241 thread you're talking about, and I'll definitely check it out, seems to be full of alot of insight into the 241. As far as owning a 362 m-tronic, I'm sure it's a fantastic saw especially after they updated the air filtration system and added m-tron, but it would have to fill some mighty big shoes to make me think about replacing my 562xp:)

I'm not buying that a mm on a 241 makes up surpasses the .75hp deficit vs the 550.

CCs, and honest HP, don't lie. Again, I'm not trying to take anything away from the 241, I'm sure it is a Great little saw, and I would like to have one. I'm not an owner or a fanboy of the 550, either.

I'm not buying that a mm on a 241 makes up surpasses the .75hp deficit vs the 550.

Thats why I said in Brads build thread, does it have anything to do with the 241 running 3/8's LP? Less load to pull? IDK

Also, how would the 550XP feel with a 16" .325 setup vs the stock setup on a ms241c? Don't really want to buy that setup just to find out lol.

The 241 definitely has a lighter feel than my 550XP, yet when placed side by side, they look like they are the same size.

We need more members to buy this saw and see for them selves how they feel. Maybe some better comparison video's????

Can't wait to see what the 543XP is like too.

Im not drinking the Stihl cool aide lololol. I have all brands of saws and have NO brand loyalty. I think dl5202 out bided me on the 2153c that he got on ebay… It was you right? lol

MS241 looks pretty nice for a small saw, but I sure wouldn't be using it to buck the stuff this guy is playing with. Needs longer bar.

Looks like white pine...or at the very least softwood. Doesn't take much saw to tackle this. The 241c looks awesome though. I would go with this little guy cause you already have other comparable saws to the 261c, which I have. Ported I don't even look at my 361, even for hardwood like oak.

All you guys that are saying " dont go with the ms241c", have you run one yet?????

Hustihler, check out the build thread that brad Snelling did on the ms241c. I bought the stock saw from the video's and he did a muffler mod for me on the saw. I shared my experience in his build thread and posted videos comparing it to my 550XP. In the video's, the 241 is clearly faster in all different sizes of red oak that i was cutting. She is definitley a screamer and you can feel that its lighter than the 550XP. I instantley fell in love with the 241 and was very impressed with the m-tronic feel. The saw has more power than you think.

I went as far as running 2 different bar and chain combo's on the 550XP. I ran 18" .325 and 16" 3/8. The 241 still was faster.

Then everyone said a muffler modded 550XP would feel alot better. Guess what? Still not impressed. The saw sounds much louder. I widened the stock port and gave it some fish gills in the front. Ive ran it with the 3/8's setup and still have to try the .325 setup.

My vote goes to the ms241c. You only live once. Plus, after you run it, you will prob want to sell all your 50cc saws and buy another m-tronic!!! Like a ms362c lolololol.

Muahahahahahahahahahaha.

I am pleasantly shocked by your comments, very good, and yes I am guilty of pre-judging based on the size without ever having used it.

I am pleasantly shocked by your comments, very good, and yes I am guilty of pre-judging based on the size without ever having used it.

Hello fellow New Yorker!!!! All I'm saying to everyone is you will be surprised….. maybe not fully blow away, but its not what everyone is assuming it will feel like.

When I gave Brad my first impressions of the saw, after putting a tank through it I told him that this saw left me saying, do all m-tronic's feel like this? Is it bad that I want to try a ms362 cm, like you own??? lolol

Hello fellow New Yorker!!!! All I'm saying to everyone is you will be surprised….. maybe not fully blow away, but its not what everyone is assuming it will feel like.

When I gave Brad my first impressions of the saw, after putting a tank through it I told him that this saw left me saying, do all m-tronic's feel like this? Is it bad that I want to try a ms362 cm, like you own??? lolol

I really like the 362 C-M, the M-Tronic lets it cut better than it should. Did need some break in though, and I removed the muffler screen. My review is on the Stihl website. Hey, I'm a retired NYS worker, so I spent a lot of time in Albany.

I really like the 362 C-M, the M-Tronic lets it cut better than it should. Did need some break in though, and I removed the muffler screen. My review is on the Stihl website. Hey, I'm a retired NYS worker, so I spent a lot of time in Albany.

Very nice MustangMike. I currently working for the department of transportation in highway maintenance in Albany county.

l'm not sure exactly what you 'need' as far as displacement goes but sounds like you have cad pretty bad so here we go....lol. l got a ms241 and it exceeded any expectation in every way. By the sound of things you like to pick saw models with some 'wow' factor and the 241 has it in spades. Since getting mine the 261 takes back seat and l find l don't use it as much anymore not because there's anything wrong with it but these little 241's are just that good. Light , nimble and well balanced with good torque for 40 odd cc. M/T plays a big role in this l'm sure. My only concern for you is your 550 is similar in size (with more power) but there is something about the 241 that everyone who uses it likes. There an awesome saw, bit pricey for what they are but build quality is tops. Go get one u cad infested mortal!
Thank you for your input, I don't really "need" the 5 saws I already own and I probably wouldn't be on this site, lmao! By the way I do have CAD, just in case you didn't know:)

Latest posts

Back