help getting started

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhite

Reaction score
I would appreciate some advice on getting started tree climbing: where I can find instructions and any help with the basic set of equipment I would need.

I have a few trees in my yard that are getting too large, and have some dead and broken limbs that need to be removed. I would like to learn how to climb, and get some equipment, so I can clean them up this winter after they lose their leaves.

I used to work as a painter, and spent quite a few years woking 30-40 feet up on ladders. I'm cautious but not afraid of heights. Tree climbing equipment looks much safer than ladders.

I've looked for arborists in our phone book - there are none listed. I live in central Missouri.
Where can I learn the basics and what equipment do I need? I'd like to quit trimming my trees from ladders.

I would consider taking a class if there is one offered somewhere in my area at a reasonable price.

Thanks for any advice or leads anyone has to offer.

-Malcolm White

My advice for this forum...
-Start and stay humble as a beginner
-Stick it out with this place...times get rough, but it's nice on the other side (so I've heard)

I'm still following those points - I've survived longer than Gump!

The best thing I can say would be to buy the Tree Climber's Companion from Sherrill (item #16217-click the ad at the top). Read it. Twice. Ask questions along the way.

Every question on your mind will be answered through that book. Plus, it will bring up questions that you had no idea existed. Until then, read through the threads on this board. On the first page of this "Commercial Tree Care and Climbing" board, there is a goldmine of information. Read that before asking. Start here: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=5159

Welcome aboard!

Nickrosis
:D :D :D

Hi there Malcolm,
I started out with aided treeclimbing just
a couple of months ago. Although my starting point perhaps differs from yours, I might be able to give you some tips (no climbing/equipment tips).
Having worked from ladders, bucket trucks and freeclimbing for some time I got to work and get some training from some arborists in town and was struck by the efficency and flexibility of working supported by a rope(s).
It also came to me that the equipment alone is no guarantee for security.
Even though the carabiners are rated at 22kN, you will fall down if you tie your friction hitch wrong.

I suggest you get the book Nickrosis mentioned, "Treecimber's companion", get some training, perhaps the greatest way of learning, and wait a while before purchasing gear, a copmlete "set" is fairly expensive.
Once you get more into treeclimbing, you will know what to get,
and what you prefer.
Welcome to this progressive and information packed website.

Malcolm,

Check the yellow pages under "tree care" a lot of books don't give seperate listings for "Arborist". Here in Dallas we have a section for "Arboretum", one listing, but no Arborist section.

If you are anywhere near Columbia, MO. There should be some qualified folks locally to help you out. I believe MU has a Forestry program.

Louie Hampton
also from The Show Me State

My only advice would be to start working for a tree surgeon and watch and learn, I have taught two of my grouind men over the years to climb, as they know the knots, tie-offs, and tricks. May take ya awhile to get off the ground, but well worth the wait. be choosey of whom you work for, most reputable tree service is always looking for a good, hard working, clean minded and cut worker!

Back